1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SVS subwoofers

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by witters, Jan 30, 2004.

1. witters

witters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    I have about £500-600 to spend on a decent sub and am thinking of importing an SVS 20 or PB1.

Does anyone have experience of either model please?
    How do they compare to say the Velodyne CHT range?

Any help appreciated.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I haven't spotted any forum member buying a PB1 but quite a few of us bought the cylindrical series last year.

The most popular model seems to have been the 20-39 PC Plus but Avanzato, Rob Screene and Steve Bate have the PCi models.

My 20-39 PC Plus cost me £740 last year but due to the weakness of the dollar is now about £650 - £675. These subs are far superior to the CHT-15 as no doubt Jase and Bob007 who both upgraded from the Velodyne to the SVS will tell you

3. witters

witters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    Thanks Ian.

Can I ask what you paid in carriage and import charges please?

The main reason I'm looking at the PB1 is that I am not keen on the cylindrical shape. that and the PB1 is available in gray marble:D

I believe the two are very similar in spec and performance.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The $825 for the sub and $125 for shipping were both debited to my credit card by SVS and came out exactly at £600. When it was delivered by Bax I had to give them a cheque for £140 to cover import duty and Vat.

That was 6 or 7 months ago and the dollar is now much weaker which would reduce the price of the sub / shipping plus the import duty and Vat.

Having watched your buying and selling of subwoofers in the past, what you are contemplating is in a completely different league to what you have owned.

5. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Ian J, not wishing to offend here but I would strongly disagree with this statement. Having heard both subs in the same room (although not at the same time) the PC+ would extend slighltly lower than the CHT-15 below 25hz and offer more SPL below this region.

The 12" ISD driver found on the PB1-ISD won't offer the same SPL as the dB-12 driver found on the PC+ range but will be close.

All the subs above are will do a superb job of offering low-distorted, clean tight bass and you can't go wrong with any of them.

6. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Sorry to butt in but i have fancied one of these subs for a while,and with the strength of the pound at the moment thought i would see how much they are going for.
    £332 quid for a 20-39 pci is that good?Seems to be to me, considering how highly regarded they are?
    Anyway just my two-pence worth sorry
    Phil

7. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Witters
    The pb-1 isd is the equal of the cylindrical pci series which for $649 with your choice of finish is very good value.The box equivalent of the 20-39 pc + is the pb-1+ this would give you even better performance but does cost $1049. What is the size of the room that you will be using it in.
    Cheers Gonzo.

8. witters

witters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    Hi Gonzo,

My room is a typical lounge at about 15ft x 15ft. It has wooden floorboards.

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Too good unfortunately as that looks more like the cost excluding shipping, import duty and Vat. An all inclusive price is more likely to be in the region of £500

10. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    witters,

As well as your room size, before purchasing a subwoofer, you should also take in to account how loud you plan to push the subwoofer. If you plan to watch your dvd's at very high volume levels upto -10dB then you might be able get away with a PB1-ISD.

However, if you plan to watch your movies at reference level and taking into account the size of your room, then you will be pushing the sub beyond its limits and may risk damaging it on dvd movies that contain very strong output at around 20hz.

11. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Witters
    The pb-1 isd would be ok in your size room but why dont you email Tom vodhanel they are very helpful and would be better to advise you on what you need or dont need.
    Only other thing that bothers me is that your rooms square and about the same size as Phils off the forum and he couldnt get his sub to perform,He thinks it was a downfiring sub on to a wooden floor in a square room that was the trouble he also had problems with other downfiring subs.Dont want to put you off but it does bare thinking about before you purchase.Have you owned any down firing subs had any problems.
    Cheers Gonzo.

12. witters

witters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    The room isn't exactly square as we have a bay and a chimney breast. Not sure what difference that would make?
    Never had a downward firing sub in this room.

13. witters

witters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    I never listen above -15dB.

14. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    gonzo, are you sure Phil's room is square?

I thought the reason he could not integrate the PC+ into his living-room was because it has openings that leads to other parts of the house?

15. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    witters, provided you have everything set-up correctly and that the sub is properly calibrated, I don't think you will have a problem with the PB1-ISD at the volume level you listen to but I would clarify this with SVS first just to get a comfirmation.

Btw, is your room concealed or does it have any openings to other parts of the house because this will factor in how well the sub will intergrate with your room?

16. witters

witters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    Just a door to get out:D

17. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I recall your brief head to head and IIRC The HGS-18 IMO had the edge, but here's the thing. The Velodyne was 4 times more expensive than the SVS and should have more than just an edge when competing against something sold at this price

Jase and Bob have not only heard both subs in the same room but for extended periods of time as they have lived with both subs and not merely had a demo.

18. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Well, lets hear what they have to say then. :)

19. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi TK
    From what ive read it was definitely the shape of the room and not openings that caused him the problems.He swapped the svs for 2 servo 15s from mark ward .Mark said the svs was loads better in HIS room than both the servos and phil the servos much better in his room which proves rooms do have an effect on subs performances no matter how good they are .
    Cheers Gonzo.:)

20. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Hi gonzo,

I definitely agree with you on this.

It also proves that the nature of the sub's driver-cone whether it be front-firing or downward-firing can also have an impact on how well it intergrates in certain rooms as seen by Phill's and Mark's experience with both subs and the final outcomes.

21. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Seeing as I'm being tempted out to make a comment! I've got both an SVS 25-31 PC+ and the 20-39 PC+ and have been running them for the last four months or so, previously I had the CHT15 for about a year. Either of the SVS subs will extend cleanly down to 20hz and below without any problems (my 25-31 PC+ is tuned to 20hz by plugging one of it's ports) and this is where they have the edge over the CHT15 as it can't really compete with them in that regard. The CHT15 rolls off quite rapidly around 25hz. From 30hz upwards there really isn't anything that will seperate them, they all produce clean, tight bass. The CHT15 is still an excellent sub and very well built and now resides in my Dad's setup.

The SVS subs are great and also have the added advantage that they can be tuned to various frequencies. Two of them can be a bit tricky to setup but once done, they sound fantastic.:smashin:

22. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,971
    The problem I had with the SVS 20-29 was the shape of my room and the fact it has suspended wooden floors. The difference in performance compared to the forward firing CHT-15 I had before the SVS was quite large. I had used two Rel Storm III in the room before the CHT and the Rels were very poor compared to the CHT.
    The problem seemed to be both shape and floor, listening to Liams SVS in his room compared to mine was like night and day. Adding the Servo 15 into the room just conformed this as the bass freqs that were lost came back again.
    I would happily recommend that if you can try a sub in your room before purchase then do it as it will save you lots of money.
    If I had a fiver for every hour I have spent trying to improve my bass in my Cinema Room I would have about £5k to spend on a sub.

23. Zoidy

Zoidy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    argh @ the sub argueing :(

24. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I think it all depends on what main speakers you have as well......
    Unless it is just my room......but my first SVS 20-39PC+ was used with a setup consisting of B+W 602,601,CC6,LM1 and the SVS just did not do it for me, like my old PDR-10 did.......i then changed to Mackie 624 Active speakers, but the SVS still did not sound right with these.....the mackies was out doing the SVS for bass performance.....i then brought the servo 15 and with the mackies and a crossover of 60hz, everything sounded brill.
    I sold the SVS but for some strange reason, i felt lost without it :confused: .....so i ordered another one.
    I tried useing both the servo and the SVS with the mackies, but it just was not right....taking the SVS out of the system and it sounded alot better........but now i have sold my Servo and have changed my speakers to M&K 85's and for some reason the SVS has come to life....i can now sit anywhere in the room and hear/feel bass....strange...:eek: .

just to throw another spanner in the works, towards your decision, weather to get one or not.