SVS Subwoofer Help

Low Visibility

Standard Member
Hi all. I picked up a couple of subs on the SVS outlet sale and could use some advice on which one is better for my space. (Sadly, I missed out on the PB-2000 pro and the PB-1000 pro was not an option.) Thanks so much for your recommendations!

Sub options
PB-1000 or dual PB-1000 ($350 a piece)
Or
SB-2000 pro ($650)
Or
Wait for PB-1000 pro to show up in outlet

Room info
18' long, 15' wide, 8' high
Couch about 9'-10' from speakers
Room open on half of left side

Usage
80% movies, 10% sports, 10% music (classic rock and jazz)

Other speakers
Airmotiv B1+, C2+, E2+ (likely bipole config)

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Hi all. I picked up a couple of subs on the SVS outlet sale and could use some advice on which one is better for my space. (Sadly, I missed out on the PB-2000 pro and the PB-1000 pro was not an option.) Thanks so much for your recommendations!

Sub options
PB-1000 or dual PB-1000 ($350 a piece)
Or
SB-2000 pro ($650)
Or
Wait for PB-1000 pro to show up in outlet

Room info
18' long, 15' wide, 8' high
Couch about 9'-10' from speakers
Room open on half of left side

Usage
80% movies, 10% sports, 10% music (classic rock and jazz)

Other speakers
Airmotiv B1+, C2+, E2+ (likely bipole config)

Is those dimensions for the whole open space, so total room size w/ the left opening? So the room would be fairly square? Can you do some quick draw with Windows paint of room plan with dimensions and post that here. Takes literally few minutes to make it, or you can just draw it on paper, take picture with phone and upload. Draw where you sit and where tv is, which placements are possible in your room to have subwoofer(s) (A,B,C..) .

Do you also live in detached house so you would be listening quite loud (movies) without the fear of neighbours?

Which av-receiver are you using now?

Low Visibility

Standard Member
Is those dimensions for the whole open space, so total room size w/ the left opening? So the room would be fairly square? Can you do some quick draw with Windows paint of room plan with dimensions and post that here. Takes literally few minutes to make it, or you can just draw it on paper, take picture with phone and upload. Draw where you sit and where tv is, which placements are possible in your room to have subwoofer(s) (A,B,C..) .

Do you also live in detached house so you would be listening quite loud (movies) without the fear of neighbours?

Which av-receiver are you using now?
Thanks for your help, the picture is below. I'm open to speaker placement ideas. One would be a bit easier to manage though. My house is detached, but I don't tend to listen too loud. I'm more interested in clarity and having a dynamic rangr, though I do enjoy feeling the bass.

I'm using a Denon x-2400h.
2021-05-2608.51.005972931802178867925.jpg

John7

If you like to "feel" the bass, stick a couple of bass shakers in your sofa!

I just modified my sofa to take a couple of cheap shakers connected to a cheap digital sub amp and the bass feel is now great!

Low Visibility

Standard Member
If you like to "feel" the bass, stick a couple of bass shakers in your sofa!

I just modified my sofa to take a couple of cheap shakers connected to a cheap digital sub amp and the bass feel is now great!
Thanks John. I'm betting the subwoofer will probably be enough for me. Any thoughts on which of the three options might be best?

Mr Wolf

As you have a large space and it’s mainly for movies I would go for a pair of ported subs, the larger the better. That’s quite a large space and I personally wouldn’t want to go lower than a pair of PB-2000 Pros but as you say you don’t listen at very loud levels then I’m sure dual PB-1000s would do just fine.

Low Visibility

Standard Member
Thanks. I was originally wanting to go with a PB-1000 pro since it is a 12" driver (same as the old PB-2000) . Should I forgoe the savings on the PB-1000/SB-2000 and get a PB-1000 pro? Or, do you think a PB-2000 would be better?

Thanks again!
As you have a large space and it’s mainly for movies I would go for a pair of ported subs, the larger the better. That’s quite a large space and I personally wouldn’t want to go lower than a pair of PB-2000 Pros but as you say you don’t listen at very loud levels then I’m sure dual PB-1000s would do just fine.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Looking the picture there is quite tight where the subs can go?

I would agree with Mr Wolf that is not just 18x15 as it opens to dining room so you have to consider the total open space everything! Ported model is the way to go.

You have so many great options there in US..

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I wouldn´t buy the old PB1000 if possible. It has very strong deep bass, but lacks the mid-bass and this is where you want to have some good impact. The new PB1000 Pro with larger driver is likely to sound much meatier and it has 3-4db more max output in that region.

Also i would consider the surrounds if you meant bipole speakers close to couch as they should be wall mounted / close to walls.

Your receiver sees two subwoofers as one so the setup part is bit tougher, unless they are placed equidistant from listener.

Low Visibility

Standard Member
I wouldn´t buy the old PB1000 if possible. It has very strong deep bass, but lacks the mid-bass and this is where you want to have some good impact. The new PB1000 Pro with larger driver is likely to sound much meatier and it has 3-4db more max output in that region.

Also i would consider the surrounds if you meant bipole speakers close to couch as they should be wall mounted / close to walls.

Your receiver sees two subwoofers as one so the setup part is bit tougher, unless they are placed equidistant from listener.
Thanks. I might have gotten some bad advice about the bipole VS. Dipole setting and placement. I'll try them again the back wall.

Yeah, two subs is doable, but not ideal. Seems like I need to give up on how great a deal the PB-1000 were if they are just two small.

Sadly, I missed out on the PB-2000s for $500 and the blemished PB-2000 Pro. There is another PB-2000 Pro for $799. Is it really worth the extra money given that the PB-1000 Pro is also a 12" driver now?

Low Visibility

Standard Member
I would get a pair of the most powerful ported SVS subs you can afford.
Thanks. A pair is a little more than I'm willing to spend right now, but sounds like I should spend the extra $150 for a PB-2000 Pro and work on getting a second down the line. Much appreciate the feedback.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thanks. A pair is a little more than I'm willing to spend right now, but sounds like I should spend the extra $150 for a PB-2000 Pro and work on getting a second down the line. Much appreciate the feedback.
At this point better to spend that 150$ as you might easily regret later and then it becomes expensive to swap em to larger ones losing money. With this hobby you got to think carefully to find the sweet spot as the upgraditis hits you at some point. Put the order in, you have 45days to return/swap it still. I would think about the placement carefully as you will find out there will be big difference how it sounds in X spot and in Y spot. Also later think about where that 2nd sub would be most ideal and will you be looking new receiver with Audussey XT32 on board then (dual sub eq helps big time as you can set levels/delay individually), perhaps if you are going to buy the new gaming consoles PS5/XBOX. Your Denon doesn´t have eARC either.

Low Visibility

Standard Member
At this point better to spend that 150$ as you might easily regret later and then it becomes expensive to swap em to larger ones losing money. With this hobby you got to think carefully to find the sweet spot as the upgraditis hits you at some point. Put the order in, you have 45days to return/swap it still. I would think about the placement carefully as you will find out there will be big difference how it sounds in X spot and in Y spot. Also later think about where that 2nd sub would be most ideal and will you be looking new receiver with Audussey XT32 on board then (dual sub eq helps big time as you can set levels/delay individually), perhaps if you are going to buy the new gaming consoles PS5/XBOX. Your Denon doesn´t have eARC either.
Thanks. In a turn of events, SVS just restocked their outlet sale with the blemished PB-2000 Pros. So I ordered one and, thanks to their great in home trial, I'll get to compare the dual PB-1000s, SB-2000 pro, and PB-2000 pro after all.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thanks. In a turn of events, SVS just restocked their outlet sale with the blemished PB-2000 Pros. So I ordered one and, thanks to their great in home trial, I'll get to compare the dual PB-1000s, SB-2000 pro, and PB-2000 pro after all.

Great! Keep us posted on that!

Mr Wolf

That's great but just remember it's not really a fair comparison though as two of any SVS subs are likely to sound better than any single SVS sub such is the improvement in frequency response and reduction in localisation if you position them well in the room.

Low Visibility

Standard Member
I just wanted to follow up with my decision. Thanks to various restocks during the sale, I auditiones several sub woofers: PB 1000, SB-2000 pro, PC-2000 pro, and PB-2000 pro. Both my girlfriend - a classically trained musician - and I both liked the PB-2000 pro the most. (I was hoping to go with a PC-2000 pro, but something about my room setup and/or floors made it sound a bit less clean/detailed than the forward firing even in several different positions.)

After experiencing actual good bass, and since it was only $350, I'm also keeping the PB-1000 for a smaller room.

Thanks again for all of your help and advice!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom