SVS Subs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
MDF dust is indeed considered carcinogenic. If you ever see anyone sawing or drilling MDF in a TV program they will be wearing a mask. If you sold it in America without a label on every piece stating "you must wear a mask while drilling or sawing this" then you would presumably be sued.

Most American DIY cylinder based subwoofers are created using a building consumable called sonotube, it is a compressed cardboard tube originaly used for tall concrete cylinders it is very stong so it is great for subwoofer enclosures.

I have heard of many many people who use MDF across the pond, hell most sonotube subwoofers "sonosubs" use MDF as their end caps.

I am pritty sure it is not illegal.

According to SVS themselves they use 'Specially laminated and extra thick MDF baffles''.

'corse it might be like 'sidewalk' and 'aloooominum' and be something completely different :D

Trouble is having looked I'm now *really* tempted by one of those 20-39 Pci beasties

Able to post at last:) I went for the SVS 20/39pc+ model - now this has onboard amplifcation of 525watts,and it`s multi voltage,just plug and play(just ask Ron when you order) - more than enough for even the most bass happy man,as Steve points out SVS are probably the most customer orientated company you will ever find,you have a problem - it`s sorted THAT day - any questions you have concering shipping/what sub`s right for you/what sort of performance to expect/what color to paint your shed - they e-mail you straight back,and hey they even know what colors best for your shed!!
Seriously,I like Steve spent months trawling through the various companies who say theirs do this and that,auditioned nigh on every sub known,came across SVS - became tempted very quickly and a tad curious,took the plunge after a while for the new 20/39pc+ and have never regreted it one bit,to this day it amazes with depth/precision/and sheer quality of bass - it is THAT good :smashin: ordered on a monday and picked it up from my local airport on the thursday morning - stunning service - I can`t recommend them enough :clap: (your welcome for an audition if your close enough)

I am another HT newbie. The center piece of my HT is an SVS 20-39 PC+ tuned to 16 hz. It is just wonderful. But I have not compared it to other subs. I had a tiny squeeky kef sub before. I demoed the Q150, and some other lower range stuff. Have not heard anything approaching the PC+. I have had it since last October, and cannot be happier.

I recommend the PC+. Excellent product and excellent support. Ron and Tom walked me through every bit of the setup and decision. They recommended the 25-30 PCi, but I opted for the PC+. I could not go for the lower one, my ego did not allow me to do it. I have not looked back since.

One thing to note though, is that if like me you have not listened to real bass before, the sub will sound strange untill you get used to it (a couple of days). I was used to the bass boom from the kef and was prepared for this to disappear. It took a couple of days for me to appreciate what the SVS can do.

Another pointer is the voltage. The voltage is not automatic. It is set at the factory, so you have to make sure that they know what is the voltage you require. In my country, Oman, we use 220 volts and I specifically asked about this. I asked Ron from SVS whether there is a switch on the back for voltage levels. He informed me that it is set at the factory. Right before shipping, I asked Erik to test the sub properly before sending it to me. I also enquired how he can do the testing since they have different voltage in the states. I was told that they have a circuit of 220 for non-us customers.

I hope this helps.

Cheers guys.

You've answered the questions I was going to ask.

I was just wondering why both of you went for the PC+ subs.

Was it practical (big rooms), they sound better or (for Bone Daddy) the nagging 'what would a PC+ have been like' question if you had bought a PCi series? ;)

Also what's the port tuning like, does it work? Can you hear the difference?

I'd like something that's an improvement on my REL Q200E and I'm not sure what level of SVS that would be.

I went for the PC+ because it is more powerful and more expensive, pure and simple. In my room, 5.32X4.21 meters, I have the reciever sending the sub signal at -8 and I cannot put the volume knob of the PC+ more than 9 O'clock, quarter of the way up.

Last time I tried to put the volume at 10:30 O'clock, I had discomfort in my ears and the doors upstairs rattled during lord of the rings first five minutes. This is a REAL beast.

But, seriously, the only reason I went for the PC+ was because I thought that I needed it, and becaue I wanted it to be future proof. I also liked the idea of going lower using port blockers.

To answer your other question, regarding the audible difference of using the port blockers and tuning the sub, yes you can hear the difference clearly. during bass heavy scenes you can notice the difference with and without the port blockers.

Hope this helps

<snip>I'd like something that's an improvement on my REL Q200E and I'm not sure what level of SVS that would be.<snip>

I auditioned the Rel Q50, Q150, Q200, Q400 and others before deciding to go for an SVS. I have the 20-39PCi so can only comment on this model.

If you're looking for an improvement on your Rel, well, there really is no comparison to a PCi. I don't know what the PC+ is like - but i'm sure it's awesome. Do I wish I had waited till the PC+ was out? I'm honestly so so so so happy with the PCi that I don't give a damn. :D If i was in the market now, i'd go for the PC+ (or better) for the sheer hell of it.

My SVS is one of the best purchases I've made - for the all the reasons stated over and over again by so many people. Just go for it.

:smashin:

I've just ran some SPL tests..on my subwoofer

crossover @80hz, 114dB peak at 1M. Playing back last track on Moloko album, dunno if this is a good test though? Pushing it until the subwoofer was begining to run out of movement, and sound distorted (going phummphhh) sort of thing.

I went for the Pc + series for the fact of it was brand new at the time,had all the new improvments on it,new tri 3" flowed ports, and the new amp was a 525 watt beast (loads of power in reserve :eek: ) and once again it constantly amazes - take yesterday my mate Big Mick (Metallicas sound engineer) came over to see what I have been wittering about with regards to this sub,we played all the low-end dvd delights we could find,and he was gob smacked at the quality/depth/etc of the bass being offered,stuff that he had never heard before from stuff that he thought he knew well.We then played `Bass Mechanix` cd (test tones for car audio) just to see what it could produce :eek: the set of tones that decrease 50hz/40hz/etc down to 10hz was gob smacking,the low-end waves litteraly shook the house,and i`m talking serious built cottage over 100 years old with 2-3 foot thick walls :laugh: at the 10hz drop the front door was shaking so furiously it sounded like a hoard of `tooled up`thugs trying to beat the thing down :rolleyes: he was so impressed he`s off to purchase two of the 20/46Pc+ :laugh:

Fantastic Bone D. :D

Have you noticed as well with SVS - when you turn them up - it's never "too much\in your face". What I mean by that is - the sound is so smooth, clean & effortless it dosen't hurt your eardrums. You know it's loud because of the sheer sound pressure in the room (awesome) - plus the sofa's vibrating like a washing machine or something - and yet the sound is so clean - it's pure music - not just a deafening rumble or noise.

Generic customer support drone! Probably why no answer:D

Will try Tom or Ron . Ta

Yeah Ryu,Big M` was just astounded at the quality of bass - and he`s heard top instalations world wide at the homes of many rock stars,etc and none came close to the Svs:D and the abilty on say something like the Lord of the rings disc - there are some real low end pieces but there is also other bass info going on at the same time,it just plays both - clean/low/no distortion/etc..- don`t faze the Svs one tiny bit :clap: he was amazed :laugh:

With all due respect, beware.
There are 2 brands in the US that are hyped in a large way on AV forums. Commonly a bogus post exchange from a "potential customer" will occur just to give the seller the opportunity to "hype his wares".
SVS & Rocket loudspeakers to name 2.
Both may be fine products but the hyping doesn't encourage trust. I've never heard either for the record.
But their persistence is incredible.
Maybe I'm just paranoid but I wanted everyone to be aware.
The Rocket "customers" have even been officially warned on avsforum.
PS Thanks UK, we will always remember you standing by America in these trying times.

Thanks for the warning Cajunlab, but in this case I doubt it's necessary.
Tom V of SVS is a well respected and valued member of these forums, and whilst we may not agree on some things, his opinion is always welcome, and he has never tried to hype his products here. Given that we have a few SVS customers and none of them has had anything bad to say about their subs, he doesn't really have to.

Hi guys, I'm undoubtedly missing some questions, for that I must apologize in advance...there simply isn't enough hours in the SVS days anymore.

I think the issue of 120/22v amp concerns have been addressed, and MDF definitely isn't *illegal*..(but you SHOULD wear a dust mask at minimum if playing with it).

The delayed SVS email response time is something I simply have to ask forgiveness for. Ron and I have been trapped in SVS "board meetings" all weekend....and we didn't have a chance to do much of anything email wise until very recently.

I'd like to thank Uncle Eric for his kind comments about our company too.

Lastly, I would like to point out the complete lunacy of this accusation...

"""Commonly a bogus post exchange from a "potential customer" will occur just to give the seller the opportunity to "hype his wares". """"

Please, all (who are wondering about this)..goto these forums and look over the last 5,10(or whatever) SVS related threads in each. What you will find is that Ron or myself RARELY have time to even respond to ANY forum posts period these days. This isn't something we enjoy(SVS questions perhaps going unanswered on the various forums...or folks looking for direct comments from one of us...without answer)...but unfrotunately, we are simply so busy right now the time just isn't there. The thought the SVS is involved in *bogus* post exchanges so we can *hype our wares* is complete silliness...look at this thread....I didn't even have time to make one comment in it for 2 weeks!

I can't speak for any other companies being mentioned, but there couldn't be a more inaccurate accusation made about SVS ...we rarely have time to even SCAN dedicated SVS forums for goodness sake!

Tom V.
SVS

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom