SVS subs

dts197

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was wondering just how much better is an SVS PB12+/2 than the PB12+?

I currently have an SVS SB12+ and even though I'm quite impressed by it, I think I'd like to change it for a biggger sub.

You can get the PB12+ for £720 in a nice maple finish compared to £870 for the PB12+/2 in textured black. I don't mind paying the extra if it's alot better but would like people's opnions.

The answer to that question is really all down to what you want. I know that the PB12+ can certainly trawl down nice and low with plenty of volume and is suitable for most moderatly sized rooms. I have no first hand experience of either the SB12+ or the PB12+/2 but i would expect the PB12+ to be a nice step up in performance, the PB12+/2 would be slightly more capable and offer you some more head room to play with.

If you could give room dimensions and what you want to get from your sub it would help to work out what sub is best for you, maybe even a monolith from BK should be considered aswell. No point in spending more money than you need to afterall.

hi, i didnt bother listening to a pb12+/2 .. i heard the pb12+ at av-sales and knew it was more then enough for my requirements .. and it hasnt dissapointed me yet :smashin:

what sort of volumes do you watch your movies or music at ?

also the maple one you are reffering to, is that in the powerbuys ?? .. only it says sold next to it ... so it may be gone :( .. however there is a rosewood for the same price.

i would keep an eye out on the classifieds, as there may be a piano black one appearing soon ;)

If you could give room dimensions and what you want to get from your sub it would help to work out what sub is best for you, maybe even a monolith from BK should be considered aswell. No point in spending more money than you need to afterall.

My room is 8'2" x 13'. I'm wanting bass that has the wow factor. I've got a Fujitsu plasma which certainly has it. I'd like the same for my sub.

The sub I have is good but to me doesn't have the wow factor. I'm not blown away by it by any means.

what sort of volumes do you watch your movies or music at ?

i would keep an eye out on the classifieds, as there may be a piano black one appearing soon ;)

I normally watch films at about -20 with the source level boosted by 5db.

Does this mean you might be selling your PB12+? If so, why?

My room is 8'2" x 13'. I'm wanting bass that has the wow factor. I've got a Fujitsu plasma which certainly has it. I'd like the same for my sub.

i have my pb12+ in a 20 x 10 ft room .. give or take a few inches, and it easily pressurizes my room with deep bass .. even at moderate listening levels :smashin:

I normally watch films at about -20 with the source level boosted by 5db.

Does this mean you might be selling your PB12+? If so, why?

i have been thinking of selling it, not because im unhappy with it .. far from it, the plan is to sell this pb12+ ... saving me the hassle of having to lift it when i move ;) .. and buy a PC13Ultra, and put that in a dedicated H/C room .. if all goes according to plan :)

tbh .. in your size room i think the pb12+ would be more than adequate :thumbsup:

paul

tbh .. in your size room i think the pb12+ would be more than adequate :thumbsup:

paul

Does that mean you think it's not worth the extra £150 I think it is for the /2?

Does that mean you think it's not worth the extra £150 I think it is for the /2?

tbh mate, im not sure, i havent heard one so cannot really say.

if you think you will need that extra few db's .. it could be worth it :)

For your size of room a PB12+ will be more than adequate. Don't forget the physical size can have a huge influence on the WOG (Wife OR Girlfriend) acceptance factors. Even if you do not have a WOG in a smallish room like yours (sorry!) the PB12+/2 may be a bit too much.

Have a look at the relative sizes....

svssize.png

is it me ? or is the pb12+ missing from that pic ?

edit: for the record its 18w 25h 25d

Thanks for the sizes Malice. I do know the size of it (PB12+/2) and have allocated a space for it!

But the pics of it on the SVS site & Av-Sales site don't make it look that big.

But this picture I have found makes it look far bigger than the size specs!

I'm thinking if I get the /2 it will provide more than enough deep bass for years to come. I've spent alot of money on a new system so think why not spend that little bit extra on a (hopefully!) really good sub.

dts.1978

It sounds to me as if you need advice on sub equalisation and positioning rather than the purchase of something new.

A PB12+ in a room the size of yours should leave you exhausted after watching a film.

I still have a budget model SVS 16-46PCi. That can hit 108dB (uncorrected RS SPL meter) at 9 feet in a 27 foot long room open on two floors via an open stairwell. It rocks the whole house!

With small room gain your sub should blow your socks off and paint your toenails in the stars and stripes!

Tell us a bit about your room arrangements and the sub's position relative to your usual seat. How many port bungs are you using? What crossover frequency are you using? :)

Hang on a minute! I don't have a PB12+. I have an SB12+!

And was just trying to decide which of the 2 PB12 models to get.

I had SB12+, a week ago i've upgraded to PB12+/2 in same location. There is difference in power and lower extensions, which is obvious but not sure a trade-off of space is worth or not!

I've the wow factor even with SB12+ running along with PC+ tube

another pic for getting a feel of space occupied (yet to buy aurelex grammas)

DSC_0027_s.jpg

Hang on a minute! I don't have a PB12+. I have an SB12+!

And was just trying to decide which of the 2 PB12 models to get.

Suniil, that does look very nice in Gloss Black. I've looked on the Av-Sales website but can't find the gloss black on there.

Did you buy it new or second hand?

So you think the PB12+/2 definitely has the "wow" factor then? I'm looking to be blown away!

FWIW, the plus2 looks more like a sideboard than a sub. You can comfortably sit two decent sized blokes on it side by side. Trust me, room positioning to optimise performance, is not possible. Buy one and you'd better factor in a decent EQ device if you don't already have one.

Russell

FWIW, the plus2 looks more like a sideboard than a sub. You can comfortably sit two decent sized blokes on it side by side. Trust me, room positioning to optimise performance, is not possible. Buy one and you'd better factor in a decent EQ device if you don't already have one.

Russell

The difference in size specs of the 2 PB12's doesn't seem like a massive difference. So would would you say the same of the PB12+ (needing a decent EQ device?)

Next I'll be wondering if I should look at the Monolith for half the price!

yes mate, i'v picked up this from AVF classifieds 2 weeks ago. I ownes, PC+ & PB12+/2 and owned SB12+.

PB12+/2 definitely has the wow factor in moderately large room (mine is 14 feet x 17 feet)

Suniil, that does look very nice in Gloss Black. I've looked on the Av-Sales website but can't find the gloss black on there.

Did you buy it new or second hand?

So you think the PB12+/2 definitely has the "wow" factor then? I'm looking to be blown away!

Hi dts just be careful of over doing it with the plus 2 your room is quite small and as russ as said without room correction facilities you could end up with bass issues. I did own an ultra 2 which i couldnt get to sound half as good as my previous svs pc+ and my room is quite a bit bigger than yours.
There will more than likely be a few pc ultras coming up for sale soon these are easier to intergrate and i think would give you exactly what you want.

i've never heard a PB12+, but simple maths says for £150 you gain additional driver & double amp power :)

Interesting that the cabinet volume hardly changes though and may explain why the PB12+, on paper at least, goes lower than the PB12+/2.

The Plus version has tuning of 20, 16, 12 Hz, whereas the Plus/2 has tuning of 25, 20, 16.

The Plus has a response curve of:

f_plus_curve.jpg

* Smoothed, quasi-anechoic frequency response: Measured with high resolution instrumentation via "ground plane" technique, outdoors, at two meters' distance, a minimum of 70 feet from reflective boundaries. 20 and 16Hz response indicated.

================================================

Whereas the Plus/2 has a response curve of:

f_plus2_curve.jpg

* Smoothed, quasi-anechoic frequency response: Measured with high resolution instrumentation via "ground plane" technique, outdoors, at two meters' distance, a minimum of 70 feet from reflective boundaries. 25, 20 and 16Hz response indicated.

===============================================

Make your own minds up about which would be best suited for a small room!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom