1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SVS sub arriving today (need advice)

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by gwc, Aug 20, 2004.

1. gwc

gwc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi

My PC Ultra is arriving today but I am going on holiday tomorrow. Does anyone have a quick set-up so I can make sure it is all working before I go on holiday.

Cheers

gwc

2. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Having got one of these last weekend it won't be hard to tell if it's working.

Remember you will either need your own power cable with 2 slots at the sub end or a spare plug and fuse as the supplied lead is 2-pin.

Set the volume at 1/3, set your crossover to 80Hz, hook up the sub to your receiver and play something bassy. You may well have some peaks and dips but you should be in no doubt if it's working or not.

3. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,157
    How r u getting on with your Ultra Daneel?

4. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Lumpy as hell :/ I think I need a new room. Got the Meridian today, not as much of a difference between it and the Parasound as I expected. At least my new phone is nice (LG 8110). :)

5. gwc

gwc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi Daneel,

Cheers I just tried it yesterday, didn't have time to try it before I went away, I see what you mean (plenty bass).

Now I need to set it up properly, hope it's not to difficult.

Cheers

gwc

6. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Well if your going to buy a dustbin as a subwoofer substitute, what else did you expect ?

7. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,157
    Oi! I like my dustbin thankyou very much:D

8. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Actually for a laugh, Im going to try and make my own SVS lookalike sub - I have a spare black bin lying around in my garden. Anyone know where I can by an ultra cheap 12" driver from and a piece of tacky black carpet ?

9. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,157
    Shouldn't you be on the road Rags?:rolleyes: ;)

10. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Does anyone have any "Warranty only applicable in the United States" stickers ?

11. danny daniell

danny daniell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Rags,how do you like your ASW850,?i almost brought one in Norwich yesterday but couldnt get one in maple to match my speakers,so i put a deposit on a Kef PSW4000 instead.The manager there says that B&W are bringing out a new Nautilus range later in the year which should then include maple finish.Sounds interesting
    Regards Dan

12. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,157
    No SVS owners will, as their warranties are worldwide :)

13. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    So I assume if they go wrong then apart from trying to sort them out yourself (with telephone help etc from SVS) there is a service centre in the UK that will repair/replace them for you ? If not a worldwide warranty doesnt mean anything.

Also remember IF you have to send it back, when it arrives back in the UK via BAX you will get charged duty and VAT (thats 21.5%) in total on the value of the subwoofer + shipping cost again. Its surprising and annoying having to pay duty/VAT again on the same item but that is the way of HMCE. Sounds unbelievable ? Check with BAX to confirm.....

Also do SVS contribute to the shipping cost ??

14. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,157
    Not sure what you're getting at; when I thought I had problems with my PCU they offered (if it came to that they said) to send me a brand new Ultra driver, which would obviously have been free...or I could have sent the PCU back. I wouldn't have had to pay for shipping.

Just admit you love SVS, you heard the Ultra ;)

15. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    1. I'll check on the VAT/duty thing but I'm pretty sure you won't have to pay it again.

2. Don't Bryston amps have to be returned to the other side of the atlantic? Is their famous worldwide 20 year warranty therefore meaningless?

3. What's gotten into you rags? I took your initial comment to me as a lighthearted jibe and all of a sudden you seemed to have waged war. :(

16. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304

1. You will according to BAX unless you declare it as a zero value item (edit - and then its not insured)
    2. Bryston UNLIKE SVS have a UK distributor and repair centre so they dont have to be sent back. You simply take it back to the dealer you bought it from or send it directly to the repair centre.
    3. No war Daneel just saying it as I see it :) .

17. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,157
    I think it still is a lighthearted jibe...:)

18. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304

Danny - I like it very much - I havent even run this one in yet but I heard it extensively before I went for it. Your right its not available in maple but that may change later in the year. The 850 is likely to remain for a while as its a relatively new introduction to the range. I was told Autumn next year on the new range but you never know it might be earlier. I think I heard a two PSW5000 setup a while back and to me they sounded very nice indeed. Not heard the PSW4000 though.

19. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Given the price of the SVS vs the price of a comparable B&W* or whatever over here, I would, and have, gone for the SVS.

On Bryston; I looked on their website and saw no mention of anything in the UK. However if the price of SV subs increased as much as in Bryston's case (compare our typical prices to Canada's, it's a joke) were they to have a Uk distributor, I'd keep things the way they are.

*I do find the £1200 B&W 750 to be comparable in many ways in a medium sized room to the Ultra but for extension and max output I'm fairly sure the Ultra wins comfortably.

20. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,157
    Agreed, I love the 750 and would choose it over the Ultra if aesthetics were a big concern, but it drops off very sharply at 20hz, whereas the Ultra keeps on going :)

Not sure how the two would compare in a bigger room though, as the amp in the B+W is alot more powerful... (on paper that is).

21. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    I'm afraid the 'good old' amplifier argument is competely meaningless unless you compare like with like. As you well know. :)

All SVS cylinders use no bass augmentation. (as far as I know)

They use larger (more efficient) enclosures.

The B&W no doubt uses heavy augmentation in the deep bass to maintain it's response to an "acceptable" frequency. Despite the smaller enclosure. This soaks up power by the kilowatt.

The interior of the B&W box is no doubt heavily braced and the visible surfaces thick enough to withstand considerable internal pressure and to help reduce panel resonance. Further reducing the true volume below that of the external physical size.

With the SVS: What you see is what you get. The enclosure is naturally resistant to internal pressure and panel resonance. Thanks to form and material. Its volume is quite close to the external physical dimensions.

Not that I'm trying to make a point in favour of SVS cylinders. I'd hate to be accused of bias. :blush:

BTW: SVS subs are modular. Almost anybody could remove the few screws necessary to replace the amp or driver. Where's the problem? An e-mail to SVS and the required component is in the post free of charge. Replace component, slip connections in place and fasten screws again. No brain surgery required. Takes less time overall (probably) than waiting for a repair to any other sub make by the time it arrives back in your hands. :boring:

Nimby

22. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Your joking right ?

Bryston is distributed by PMC in the UK.

Its not about having a distibutor in the UK its about having local backup and with SVS thats zero. Personally Im not the kind (even if I was able) that would open up a subwoofer to fix it myself.

23. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    C'mon Rags. My wife could change the driver or amp on an SVS sub without her reading glasses. It's really not brain surgery. If you want to pay through the nose for a handhold from a dealer, for only a potential problem solution, then that is your free choice. It seems you can well afford it judging from your equipment list in your sig. :devil:

Just don't wave your flag of surrender to playing with something simpler than Mechano or Lego at the rest of us. We don't need the expensive help you insure against by paying a dealer half the retail price (allegedly) for an invisible comfort blanket. ;)

Fortunately we aren't all complete technophobes! :D

Nimby :)

24. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,157
    Rags, I honestly think it's a non-issue really: I mean, how often do subs go wrong? Out of all of the SVS's which are now in the UK, I know of only 2 instances where subs have arrived with problems. And SVS themselves always offer excellent customer service support. If the company offered poor customer service then I'd be concerned...but they don't:)

25. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Nimby - You seem to sugest that SVS are a charitable organisation working on a zero profit basis. After all, no middlemen could well simply mean fatter profits for SVS.

Have you actually heard the B&W ASW750 or ASW850 ? Sometimes your posts are so exaggerated that it really is a toss of a coin whether I need to discount them by 80% or 90%. :devil: I have now heard 3 SVS subs and yes they were all good at their price points - my intial comments were tongue in cheek however if you notice I have not anywhere on this thread commented negatively on the subs performance. I wents to Matts today and I liked the PC Ultra a lot. If I do make comments on kit I try to make sure I have a basis for comparison (my own ears usually).

Unfortunately god does not make all humans equal and not all of us are as capable as you and your wife. Otherwise there wouldnt be many HIFI shops around or more to the point everyone would be direct selling modular subs on a self repair basis.

26. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    When I had my 25-31 PCi last year it arrived with a faulty driver. SVS sent me a new one and emailed me instructions on how to fix it. Having spent just over £500 on a new sub I was a bit daunted and gutted to say the least that I had to start dissmantling it.
    The task actually turned out OK and SVS were very helpful. However, I realize that a lot of people may not feel comfortable dissmantling a brand new sub, even though it actually isn't that difficult on the cylinder subs.
    If I had the room I have always maintained that I would be interested in trying out one of the SVS box subs, a PB2+ or PB2 Ultra. I must admit , though, that I am a little put off with the possible repair requirments in owning one of these. Are the drivers as easy to remove and replace?
    I imagined that getting inside one of the box subs to be a little more difficult, compared to the hollow tube filled with sponge!
    My B&W may not perform quite as well as a similar priced SVS PB2+, but I have purchased peace of mind with mine, knowing that in the event of a fault the biggest of my worries is getting it back to Audio-T or the nearest B&W repair center.

27. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Let's put it this way: :D

You buy an SVS cylinder at the normal price and by the usual ordering method. :rolleyes:

You then pay me £1000 in cash. (the minimum dealer's profit margin on a better B&W?) :cool:

In the unlikely event of your SVS amp or driver goes down. You simply ring me and I'll jump on a plane and swap out the faulty component in a few minutes. A quick test, then I catch the plane home. :p

That's got to be a good deal hasn't it? You get a better sub for the same price as your B&W. And full repair cover in the unlikely event of a problem. :smashin:

Even if the SVS doesn't ever go up in smoke, or fall silent, then I get to keep the £1000. Okay? Your dealer will, without a doubt. :devil:

I heard the 675 on demo just before ordering my 16-46. I was frankly disappointed by the degree of obvious audible distortion on film and music in comparison with my own DIY efforts.Yes it went loud but at what a price! My attempts to find a dealer with the 800 series were fruitless. I doubt I'd want to spend that much on a subwoofer anyway.

If SVS have found a different business model that actually works, then fine. The profits no doubt stay rather closer to the R&D effort than paying a B&W dealer's garage bills on his Merc or BMW.

To be perfectly honest, I was praying my 16-46 wouldn't sound the same as the B&W when it arrived on the back of a lorry. ;)
    Thankfully it didn't. Not from the very first notes to come out of it.
    The small risk had been well worth it. If I hadn't liked the SVS I would simply have sold it in the national free ads paper. But thankfully it was a revelation in comparison with every other sub I've heard at dealers or AV shows. (dangerous bias warning)

BTW: I doubt my wife could change the spark plug on the mower without being talked through it. But send her the £1000 when you buy an SVS cylinder and she'll fly over to do your SVS component swap. (if it ever proves necessary) As long as she get's to keep the money if nothing ever goes wrong. :devil:

Had enough? Let's just try and enjoy what we own. :D

Nimby

28. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    No its significanty less than that actually.

Not necessarily. Better in what way ? The plastic casing, the carpet exterior or it's giant microphone / dustbin looks ? It's funny how SVS prices seem to hike up significantly when you want a wood finish. Performance wise you really need to hear some other subs to appreciate that bass doesnt end with your 16-46 PCi tube. Having heard a PB2+ and a PC Ultra and a host of other subs trust me there is another level of bass out there than your 16-46.

Having also heard a smaller SVS tube (25-31 PC+) in NY ill do a direct comparison -

An ASW750 will set me back in the region of £1,000 after a bit of discount. The 25-31 PC+ even at today favourable exchange rates (which wont last forever by the way) will cost £675 (estimate). What that extra £325 will buy me is -

1. A better sounding sub overall imho.
    2. A quality wood finish that wont look like a monstrosity in my living room, that isnt made of plastic and that doesnt use cloth as a veneer substitute.
    3. Full local backup with complete piece of mind (and thankfully if something does go wrong I can just drive the 5 miles to my local dealer and have him sort it out / replace it rather than having to rely on your wife flying over to fix it, pleasant company though she undoubtedly would be.

Although not a small amount of money, for me it was worth paying that extra £325 for the above. When the exchange rate starts going back to normal levels that gap will close even further. TBH im sure if B&W, Velodyne, Paradigm etc start doing self repair, using the same finish as SVS and not giving a monkeys about aesthetics in terms of size etc then they could also knock out subs significantly cheaper.

TBH I wouldnt let you into my premises either. :laugh:

Dont discount the value of a good dealer. It's a pretty competitive market out there and a lot of them are just surviving by the whisker. Direct selling usually entails fatter profit margins for the manufacturer.

As I said you experience with subs seems to be rather limited so I usually take to discounting your comments significantly. The ASW675 is not in my opinion as good as a PC+ but its nowhere near as bad as you make out. Also given size, looks etc it's like comparing apples with oranges.

29. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Elsewhere Cricket has just been welcomed to the 'Velodyne Club' and Daneel's SVS review has had no replies. Could it be that forums are self selecting and the owners of certain gear go where all the other owners already are?

Perhaps what's needed is a forum where B&W owners can go for a nice group hug away from everyone else.
    BTW my Jamo D6 group will be getting together in the village hall at 8.30.

I hope GWC enjoys reading this thread when they get back from holiday.

:offtopic:

30. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    To assume that SV Subs are better value for money simply because they cut out the middle man is wrong, no one knows the manufacturing efficiencies of the different companies or what profit margins they work to. An analogy would be Farmers market sausages, they know people will pay a premium price so that's what they charge. Same with AV products, the price is always designed to maximise profits.