SVS SPEAKERS Thread

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm starting this one because I really don't feel these speakers are getting the recognition they deserve.

For the price, these speakers are excellent, IMO.

I'd like all you people who have purchased them to post your opinions on here.

I have to say first off, I have no affiliation to any AV company whatsoever, I just feel opinions could be shared in a centralised way.

It's off the top of my head, so expect this post to be heavily edited.

I'll throw a few links on here later.

Come on then, you owners, let's have your opinions.

They don't have to be all good, either!

It's not necessarily an appreciation thread :smashin:

Right, first off, the home site:

http://www.svsound.com

A shortcut to the speakers section:

http://www.svsound.com/products-spks-sbs01.cfm

Track this URL for news of the much anticipated MTS system (standmounts). I've nicknamed them MUTTS :D :

http://www.svsound.com/news-news.cfm

The AVsales site.

This is the only authorised outlet for SVS in the UK.

If you go to the home site, then do a search for "SVS", you'll find them :smashin:

http://www.avsales.co.uk/

Thanks to IanJ for a quicker link :smashin:

www.subsonicsounds.co.uk

NEWS:
AVSales are now selling these speakers in pairs, for the excellent price of £175 :thumbsup:

you're absolutelly right badger0_o

I come here every day looking if there are people were I can share opinions with. And over and over again I only see threads about KEF, B&W, Mission, or something like that. Never SVS. these speakers are not the best out there but they surelly deserve more attention than they have now. I only read about them a bit when they were just released. are they flopping then?

I think they are magnifissent. I just played them the loudest I've ever tunred them the last few days. And they literly rock my room. not to mension the pb10. it just makes the ornaments move. The woofers from the SBS-01 have quit some punch and they kick you in the face. I have never had any movie expirience like this before even not the the best commercial theater near me. And if I get my BFD in the near future it will only get better. Maybe they don't come completely to their right on my 500$ amp but they do fine for me. only sound a little harsh and too bright on my pioneer. I might buy a more neutral amp in the future like Yamaha or Denon. I think this system is really a good shot for people who just start in the home theater world and later maybe want to reach out to M&K products like me. because these are about the same kind and people even compare them with M&K products.

Kick ass sub,
Forgive me, I never expected a response so fast, it won't answer anything you said.
I'll come back shortly :smashin:

These speakers (the SBS 5.0) are superb.
They are extremely neutral, giving a decent mid range with a great top end.
I've analysed them with a SPL and plotted graphs.
From above 500Hz, they are very flat, although I did have some issues in the 200-500Hz area, with levels swinging violently. I think this is room related though and I've tried simple EQ correction via Winamp which made very little difference, IMO.
I'll have to look into this more when I get time, although I'm not sure which way to go.

I have the speakers coupled to the PB10 and have to say the mix is hard to fault, although it wasn't necessarily so out of the box.
When I first fired the system up, there was a lot of boominess.
Again, this is a room problem.
It just so happened it was at 63Hz, which seems fairly common for a lot of rooms.
I soon called on some equalisation and the BFD did the trick nicely.
IMHO, Big subs need EQ in smallish rooms, simple. My room is 21 x 9 ft.
They can easily overpower.
I used the BFD 1124 and only had to set 3 filters for the sound I like.
My biggest SPL level is at 20Hz, believe it or not and I don't want to change it (probably resonance in the room).
I'm greedy for sub bass and like it as is, but know it's not really right.
Anyway, once you get this sorted the blend between speakers and sub really is seamless.
I'd be interested to hear from someone who isn't using a SVS sub with the SVS speakers here.
I've probably gone on about the sub a bit much, but it's difficult, seeing as it's so good, to avoid it.
The SBS is not perfect, by any means and I do have the odd issue, which I hope to discuss later.

kick ass sub said:
you're absolutelly right badger0_o

I come here every day looking if there are people were I can share opinions with. And over and over again I only see threads about KEF, B&W, Mission, or something like that. Never SVS. these speakers are not the best out there but they surelly deserve more attention than they have now. I only read about them a bit when they were just released. are they flopping then?

I think they are magnifissent. I just played them the loudest I've ever tunred them the last few days. And they literly rock my room. not to mension the pb10. it just makes the ornaments move. The woofers from the SBS-01 have quit some punch and they kick you in the face. I have never had any movie expirience like this before even not the the best commercial theater near me. And if I get my BFD in the near future it will only get better. Maybe they don't come completely to their right on my 500$ amp but they do fine for me. only sound a little harsh and too bright on my pioneer. I might buy a more neutral amp in the future like Yamaha or Denon. I think this system is really a good shot for people who just start in the home theater world and later maybe want to reach out to M&K products like me. because these are about the same kind and people even compare them with M&K products.

Are they flopping?

No, I don't believe so, everyone who has bought them, likes them very much (I'm talking about this forum, although I've never seen a bad word written about them anywhere) but speakers don't suddenly explode on the market, IMO.
At the moment, they are not trendy, that's all.
But my belief is that quality will out.
I wasn't around when the SVS subs were getting a name, so can't really compare, but I'm guessing it was a similar situation.
Maybe the sub guys can tell us, (bearing in mind this is a speakers thread ) :smashin:

I use a Denon 3803 with mine and I have yet to worry these speakers. I like serious volume and haven't come close to threatening them.
I've read that the particular design of these speakers can cause unreliability.
I really doubt it, as they seem bomb-proof.

The best part is, they don't even harden, it's only my ears that go wrong :eek:
I'm surprised you find them harsh, even with the Pioneer, although I think I know what you mean.
I don't find them harsh at all with the Denon.
It's more that the highs are extremely clear.
High hats and cymbals are excellent.
My missus is prone to headaches and she's never complained, but I don't doubt what you're saying.
Keep the opinions coming :smashin:

Oh, I keep meaning to say this.

The word "attack" keeps springing to mind.

It's not a word you hear so much these days (is this what you mean when you talk about grip, KB?),you either know what I'm on about or not. Either way, it's stunning and keeps making me smile.

I am of the opinion that an integrated speaker and sub package in home cinema (no amp and no DVD please) is the way to go.

If you have 1000 quid to spend on a complete system - then SVS offers one of the best performing system packages at this price level that I have seen - period.

A dedicated centre speaker, acclaimed sub-woofer and four speakers that do a pretty good job when configured to 2.1 hi fi is what you are payign for.

Just be sure to match it with commensurate power in the AV receiver and that means pretty much nothing short of 100W per channel....otherwise your wasting your money buying this level of kit.

For me, I want my music smooth, flat and soothing. I dont want punchy bass, harsh top end and so on.....but for home cinema, I want the opposite.

Good American products are practical, over designed and robust. The quality lies within and money is not wasted on ergonomics and making it look particularly ornamental. That describes this system....and it wants to be thrashed.

My two fav HT packages at two different price levels at the moment are this one and the Hsu Reseach 6.1 sat/sub deal.

The SVS is a genuine heavyweight though, and pound for pound I think the only way to beat this offer package is with an axe....

I have heard the SVS speakers and agree that for the money they pack a great punch and sound great. Obviously if i ever went for them i'd keep the 20-39

I Can't wait for the SVS floorstanders to come out, so that i can have a listen. Hopefully thay will be a bit better for music. Just got to get past SWMBO then :rolleyes:

Another SVS system owner here who is very happy with them.

They sound amazing with movies and certainly beat every cinema i've ever been to no contest. Crisp, clear dialogue, effortless bass, smooth midrange.

They also sound great to me when used with music. I know they'll never beat a dedicated stereo setup but as a compromise they're incredible.

As for the styling, I think it's spot on. They have come under fire for being ugly but on the contrary, I think they look superb. I bought my speakers to reproduce sound and nothing else, I don't want "lifestyle" crap making them more expensive or curvy designs. I just want the best quality sound for the money and SVS have got it spot on with this package.

Likewise the PB10 sub, it is quite large but it's designed to give superb bass at a price that would make comparable subs curl up and die. If that means it has to be a little large then so be it.

I suppose the thing is if you're not bothered with all this styling rubbish and want a functional, affordable 5.1 speaker system your gonna have to look very hard to beat these especially at the forum powerbuy price.

I can't think of anything I don't like about them, except that if you get some you do risk making the neighbours hate you.:devil:

So yeah, if your in the market for a new 5.1 system and have 800 quid in your budget, you'd be a fool not to consider these.:smashin:

maybe harsh isn't the ritgh word. jeez, I'll have to start learning all those terms proporly still. Actually I ment the same as you. The high end is clear when you turn up the volume. But you have heard already that Pioneer amps are very clear, right? and together that can sound a little too bright maybe when turning it up real loud. But this more with music then with movies. and pioneer is already known for being not very good with music. I just think they would sound a bit better on a more laid back amp then mine.

Actually I think buying this speakers for music isn't so good. in fact, they are made for movies. Although, they do fine with music in my opinion. But if I really wanned something for music, I probebly would've bought something like MA then SVS speakers. But movies are the top priority for me.

bee-dee, I have a 95 watts amp and it does fine. I don't think anyone should have a 120 watts amp to get the best out of them.

kick ass sub said:
Actually I think buying this speakers for music isn't so good. in fact, they are made for movies. Although, they do fine with music in my opinion. But if I really wanned something for music, I probebly would've bought something like MA then SVS speakers. But movies are the top priority for me.

Exactly, I feel it's unfair that speakers get critiscised for not being good with music. These aren't designed for music, simple as that so why rate them for music performance in reviews.

It's like buying a van and complaining it's not as fast as a ferrari.:rolleyes:

I bought them for TV and movies and occasionally playing music. If I wanted speakers for music i'd have looked elsewhere but as I said, these are a compromise when it comes to music and a pretty damn good compromise it is too.:smashin:

K A - Sub...I heard these on a 70W per channel and then a 100W per channel receiver and there was a big difference - not talking about volume level at all, but the sheer clarity and detail that comes with a more powerful reciever.

95W/100W is close enough for mine, (I have a 100W receiver) and I doubt I will ever get close to playing the system at that level...but robust speakers/subs need a bit of juice.

I must admit that they sounded significantly better on the YAMAHA receivers I heard at about the 250 quid range, but I thought that DENON at around 500 quid really made them sing. I have never been a PIONEER fan - too bright for my tastes.

The point is that they can take a big amp and reflect its value - more than a few systems cant do that.

For 800 quid flat - I think that consumers ought to expect that they perform well when playing music....and these certainly do when coupled with a decent hifi amp.

Sure, you want to critique them from an audiophile point of view, apples and oranges for sure....and an AV receiver is not a fair source for comparison.

Anyway - this system is certainly not flopping, they sell exceedingly well in the US, where frankly speaking, competition is tougher, prices significantly cheaper - and these play to a very sensible niche...that being people that want a very good sound for a good dollar without going overboard.

As for when they start producing floor standing speakers.....wow!

As for the styling, I think it's spot on. They have come under fire for being
Daerve said:
ugly but on the contrary, I think they look superb. I bought my speakers to reproduce sound and nothing else, I don't want "lifestyle" crap making them more expensive or curvy designs. I just want the best quality sound for the money and SVS have got it spot on with this package.
Daerve said:
Exactly, I feel it's unfair that speakers get critiscised for not being good with music. These aren't designed for music, simple as that so why rate them for music performance in reviews.

It's like buying a van and complaining it's not as fast as a ferrari.:rolleyes:

I bought them for TV and movies and occasionally playing music. If I wanted speakers for music i'd have looked elsewhere but as I said, these are a compromise when it comes to music and a pretty damn good compromise it is too.:smashin:

Can't agree more. I think fancy lifestyle is for people who wan't to seem rich or who need to obay the missus. :D

just kidding before getting louds of voilent comments. Hej, I'm still single so who am I?

I think these speakers are wonderfull for harcore moviebuffs who want to rock their game or movieroom watching all their favorite actionflicks. simple as that.

And sometimes I run some music and I think it does just fine for even having a "not so good music amp and not so good music speakers". But if you want to ride fast then bey a Ferrari. :smashin:

Wonder how they would sound with a rotel 1075 then? hmmm 120w per channel......

philb said:
Wonder how they would sound with a rotel 1075 then? hmmm 120w per channel......

The amp in my sig is 140 watts a channel, it sounds great.:devil: :D

rightyo how about comparing to cantons then?

Oh holD on I had a demo of em at avsales.....AWESOME!!!!

to those talking about the amplification side of it, i mentioned my Denon 3803 to Badger as being able to drive all my MA speakers without any trouble and these are the Silver S series which were somewhat power hungry (plus with 2 sets of bi/dipolar surrounds with full size drivers, floorstanders and the centre there is a lot to drive anyhow).

So my favourite Brummite went and got one for a very nice price second hand and realised the extra power thats continuous really does do the business....heh

Downside is we rarely see him on here now as he is too busy listening to stuff :D

*waves at badger*

Knyght_byte said:
to those talking about the amplification side of it, i mentioned my Denon 3803 to Badger as being able to drive all my MA speakers without any trouble and these are the Silver S series which were somewhat power hungry (plus with 2 sets of bi/dipolar surrounds with full size drivers, floorstanders and the centre there is a lot to drive anyhow).
The interesting thing about this is that the 3803's output drops off alarmingly with 5 channels driven,which I think shows that perhaps you don't need oodles of power to drive these speakers,which is another plus imo :thumbsup:(obviously more power the better:devil: )

Hey up KB :hiya:
Just been watching the mighty Villa :D

You were dead right too :smashin:
I ran the SVS through a Yamaha 557 and whilst doing a reasonable job, the Denon is a big improvement. It just has the ability to grab the speakers by the proverbials and give them a good shaking. Not that it's too much mind.
Someone pointed out the punch, which I call attack and I can only agree.
As for music, well yes I agree they're not the best in stereo, but I tend to listen in 5ch stereo which, IMO, makes them a lot better. But then you could probably say the same for all speakers.
Strangely enough, I've hardly seen any surround film, as KB says, I've been listening to music. Very nice too. I keep saying to myself " I didn't know that bit was in there", so there must be something in what I'm saying (well, to my ears anyway).
I have no doubt that, seeing as there has been a lot of feedback in the states, that Tom and Ron (SVS owners) will have taken the criticism on board and the upcoming MTS will be a different kettle of fish. These, at a guess, will give a decent stab at music and I've already told the missus to expect a pair at the front. It's just positioning them that's going to be a problem.
I'm thinking we'll have to wall mount the telly and have a total change round.

Bear in mind, this is SVS' first go at speakers and it's a very impressive debut, IMO.
And as has repeatedly been said, they are primarily HT speakers:smashin:

philb said:
Think I may go for these.....

Definitely worth a demo if you can get one mate, at the very least.
If you're not near AV sales, perhaps one of the lads could hellp you out.
I'm in Brum, not sure about you?

EDIT:
You're only up the road from them :rotfl:

joffy1780 said:
The interesting thing about this is that the 3803's output drops off alarmingly with 5 channels driven,which I think shows that perhaps you don't need oodles of power to drive these speakers,which is another plus imo :thumbsup:(obviously more power the better:devil: )

As does most receivers, I thought.
Ron (or Tom) reckons you need 35W a channel to do a decent job, so you're correct. The Yam 557 is quoted at (EDIT) 90W per channel and my understanding is you pretty much half it when doing surround. Assuming Yams figures are, shall we say optimistic :rolleyes: , I'd personally say that's about a minimum level of amp.
It's just that the extra headroom does help, IMO.

Well not all amps drop that much with all channels driven,but the 3803 does drop a lot.I've read on audioholics about the myth of all channel driven ratings (i.e. they're useless) but my point was that a 100w per channel is not necessary to make these speakers sing,as your 3803 proves.

philb said:
rightyo how about comparing to cantons then?

Oh holD on I had a demo of em at avsales.....AWESOME!!!!

I didn't see what you meant here, but just cottoned on.
Yes you're right mate :smashin:

joffy1780 said:
Well not all amps drop that much with all channels driven,but the 3803 does drop a lot.I've read on audioholics about the myth of all channel driven ratings (i.e. they're useless) but my point was that a 100w per channel is not necessary to make these speakers sing,as your 3803 proves.

eh? lol.....badger said altho the Yammy he had did a reasonable job, the Denon was a big improvement.......so a more powerful amp is useful at making them sing much better...heh

and my Silver S6's definitely require some juice to work properly, i've tried them on a range of AV and stereo amps.......the Denon 2805 was alright but at louder volumes it definitely gave out a lot quicker.......the 3803 was a nice improvement.....my 40+40wpc Aiwa stereo amp downstairs does a pretty good job again, but gave out before the 2805 did.....

my MF A5 kinda just shakes the room on them.....but then at 250wpc dual mono it should do! :D

anyhow, dunno where they say the 3803 drops out all channels driven, mine doesnt...lol....mebbe they had a dodgy test product?..lol..altho mine was towards the end of its production cycle, perhaps there had been a change of PSU or something along its production......*shrugs*

joffy1780 said:

You are of course corect in that you don't need 100W.
The point is though, that some manufacturers overquote power levels as a selling point.
Some manufacturers are more realistic than others, fact.
So you do need a certain amount of power.
IMO, something like a Yam 359 aint going to do the SVS justice.
It would work fine, but not be able to get the best out of the speakers, IMHO.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom