SVS SPEAKERS Thread

For movies SVS is probebly the best speaker system that you can buy cheap. If you want to go better you'll probebly have to but M&K speakers and those are a lot more expensive (especially if you want something that beats the SVS's).

5.0 systems are ment to go with a sub. otherwise the concept is quit lost. The subwoofer is just as imortent as every other speaker in your system. I strongly recommend a sub. that counts for any speaker system.

Maybe you can start with something cheap? try BK, they have a few good subs where you can start. the BK gemini or BK xls200 for instance. Later you can always upgrade to a BK monolith, SVS PB10 or SB12+.

5.0 systems are ment to go with a sub. otherwise the concept is quit lost. The subwoofer is just as imortent as every other speaker in your system. I strongly recommend a sub. that counts for any speaker system.

For a sat system, a sub is a must. However if the front stereo pair are floorstanders, you can still leave them to small 80hz, they'll still reproduce low ish bass, but not to the point of over loading them, it'll have decent bass reproduction for now until a sub is bought...it'll be better than 80hz stereo pair.

So you're saying they'll be OK until I get a Sub? Can you recommend a set of speakers quite cheap that are better than SVS?

No, simple as :)
But they must be used with a sub to get the absolute best out of them.
If you can temporarily live with a better version of your telly's speakers, that's ok.

Considering we're buying the X3500 my dad doesn't want to buy the 5.1.

So, we are moving the current downstairs 5.1 setup, the JVC TH-S9, upstairs until the new SVS lot.

Im very interestd in the SVS speakers but unfortunately my budget doesnt go round to spending 350 on a sub... can anyone recommend a £200 ish sub which will still make the whole set sound well above its price range?

Or is it worth squeezing at the extra for a SVS sub?

Thanks.

Im very interestd in the SVS speakers but unfortunately my budget doesnt go round to spending 350 on a sub... can anyone recommend a £200 ish sub which will still make the whole set sound well above its price range?

Or is it worth squeezing at the extra for a SVS sub?

Thanks.
Its most definitley worth squeezing the extra out for a good sub, The BK xls200 would be a good starting point which will give a good account of itself and put a big smile on your face, But be warned there is a sub virus about and once you have it thats it you will become an sub bass addict.If you brought a monolith you would have to pay the extra but will be safer from the upgrade bug.
IMO a good sub is what makes home cinema exciting and can make or break any 5 system regardless of cost.:)
Andy.

I initially had the SVS speakers with a Mordaunt Short MS309 sub and it worked really well (MS309i is the current model I think - about £200). I then upgraded to an SVS SB12+ and it is a good improvement and worth the extra IMO - but I was more than happy with the 309 until funds allowed an upgrade.

You could get a 309i or similar then change for an SVS when you have some more cash. Buying second hand is a good option for cost effective upgrades and you can get some really good deals on the forum.

SVS are great speakers for the money - not heard of anyone yet who bought a set and wasn't pleased.

Don't know whether I want a set of these for a 40X3500, or a 46X3500 and no speakers.

xabi17, I have the svs 5.1 package and they still put a smile on my face considering the little money spent. The centre speaker (although fairly big) is the gem - my mini review can be found somewhere which praises them enough. The sb12+ sub has been talked about alot on the subwoofer forums so no need to big it up any more than it has had so far, but it is also a very nicely built, excellent performer for its size (its small in comparison to the big boy subs of today but gives out a punch that keep me a smilin').

All I will say is that without a sub, the sb01's will not produce much low end bass. I've switched the sub off, set crossover to the off on my amp and the results are ok, but not what I'm used to with the sub. The sub rocks! I was watching V for Vendetta and The Number 23 and the sub had no problem producing the low end thuds and swooshes that you hope to hear.

Problem I've got now is upgrade-itus which tends to catch on once you get into the whole AV thing (wife is ignoring my pleas for now though!). Fortunately, its nowt to do with wanting new speakers - more to do with wanting a projector and screen to really give these speakers some justified partnering!;)

Good luck and you wont regret buying into svs.

Cheers.

Now to convice my dad...anyone got some propaganda for me?!

It's all here mate;

www.svsound.com/index.cfm

Although you don't need the SVS site, just show him this thread and the american
(we're not supposed to link to competing sites, but seeing as it's american, hopefully it'll be overlooked :rolleyes: )

Edit for clarity:
The american site I linked to was modded, fair enough, rules are rules, I guess :smashin:

Yeah I know which one you're talking about anyway, I've posted on there.

My question is, will this work without a receiver/amplifier?! I'm guessing all of you folk do have one, but all I have is a PS3 and soon to be a Sony KDL-40X3500.

Should I buy some Denon receiver or something?! I don't think we have the money to tbh.

Speakers with binding posts, and not a built in amplifier (either IEC mains or x volts DC) require a amplifier. If money is tight just go for stereo system (stereo integrated amplifier) or if you buy a av amplifier just buy L/R pair for now..

So this wouldn't work without an amplifier?

What's a decent-ish amplifier, for quite cheap?!

EDIT:

Wait, I (will) have a PS3 and a Sony KDL-40X3500. Will the PS3 work?!

No they'll just sit there. A bit like a car without a engine, and you expect it to move.

Do you want stereo or multi-channel? Are you willing to have two boxes for higher quality sound?

For example a av amplifier will do everything, however sound quality in stereo will be a bit lacking. If you're on a budget this is important also, so you could just buy a stereo integrated amplifier, with left/right speakers, then add bits later (av amp, centre, rears, sub) A stereo system will work out cheaper initially.

I would look at stereo integrated amplifiers starting at £150/£200, and av amplifiers starting at £300. Look for second hand also, you could pickup a £500 stereo integrated amplifier for £200, that way have great sound and kit which'll last 10+ years which you probably won't feel the need to upgrade. If you buy cheap stuff now you'll probably upgrade in a couple of years.

Thanks for everything...it's annoying, because I don't want to sound royal but I think we have the money to buy it...but my dad doesn't want to spend it on AV equipment - he'd rather it go on sporting, or something like that.

I would much prefer 5.1 surround if possible - 5.0 wouldn't be so bad, would it? We have an all-in-one system (I think that's what you call it, 5.1 with a DVD player) downstairs, but my dad wants to keep all that together, and whilst it was great at the time, it's now about 6 years old and doesn't deliver what I believe most speakers nowadays are capable of.

Also, sorry, but I'm not quite sure what av amplifiers/receivers/stereo integrated amplifiers are.

I guess I'm going to have to give up on my dream of SVS SBS-01 5.1 set for now. Can you give me examples of systems/combinations that would do a good job? Sorry, much appreciated.

I think the SVS set with the PB12-NSD coupled with an Onkyo 605 would be a good setup for £1124 (£725 for the speakers, £399 for the amp). Remember that you would need to budget for speaker cable.

I think the SVS set with the PB12-NSD coupled with an Onkyo 605 would be a good setup for £1124 (£725 for the speakers, £399 for the amp). Remember that you would need to budget for speaker cable.

£1124...doubtful probably. I could arks for it for Christmas. Doubt it'd happen though.

So, using the car analogy from above:

Onkyo = Engine
Speakers = Wheels
Sub = Chassis

?

It seems the only thing you can do then is to build it up gradually as, first get the onkyo 605 with a pair of svs speakers, or something else. then get the centre for a 3.0 setup, then rears, then finally add the sub. Some cheap cable can be found easily, so you shouldn't worry too much about that.

I have the svs speakers and PB12 sub, and it is just superb for the money, you really will not need to upgrade anytime soon. The best thing I have bought for £725.

***, this is pointless. My dad isn't going to buy anything.

Screw it. Thanks anyway.

Has he not given you any limit at all? I'm sure you could squeeze a figure out of him? :D :devil:

Buying a quality full 5.1 seperates system does cost a fair bit, if you don't have the cash, wait and save up, or just buy stereo system for now. Don't compromise and buy a HTIB or cheaper 5.1 system. You'll be disappointed with it, and wished saved up/went stereo.

I agree and would say build up slowly, especially as he said his dad would not pay over £1000 for it :) I thought if you could at least get a figure out of him, it would be a start to what you could get first of all :)

Andori,

I notice you are running the SVS on the onkyo 875, a system I am considering, however, as I understand the SVS can not be bi amped and thats the only thibg putting me off as I intend to run 5.1 and wanted to squeeze the last bit of performance possible from the amp.

Are you running 5.1 bi amped or 7.1 normal, or just simply 5.1 losing the extra 2 channels?

I have been torn apart on choices of receivers and speakers, I have settled on the SVS much due to the rave reviews received and a svs cylinder the one in the middle that AV sales are promoting, but not sure what it will look like!! But receivers!!! started from 605, 705, 805 and now the 875.

TBH I think the 875 is good value, just want to make sure its not overkill for the SVS and as a forum member who has the same Im hoping for your what will be invaluable opinion and the one that makes me get my credit card out!!

It will be going into a dedicated room with the only other purchases being a PS3 and a PJ! Mt total Budget was £2000, but I can stretch up to £3,000 as long as the performace warrants it. Im looking for a cheapish PJ that I will upgrade in time, but I cant see the sound upgrade being done for time to come so spending a little more on the audio side of things is no big deal.

I notice some have raved about the parnership of the 605 with the SVS and as I am a complete Noob maybe thats the way to go as to be honest I may not realsie the difference!! Would it be wise to go for this or bite the bullet on the 875, knowing in likely to upgrade receiver in around 2 years?

I now the rule, devise a budget and stick to it, but damn these forums are to much!!!

Thanks for all the fantastic advise so far from all.

Regards

Ramon

I have the SVS speakers and the onkyo 605 and I can say that for me, the 605 is more than perfect. If you will only be hooking up 2 HDMI devices, that would be enough for the 605 as it has 2 inputs. For the money, they are both great and I love my speakers and the onkyo, I don't belive I will be upgrading either of these 2 items. The 605 also handles the new HD audio formats so is future proofed. It seems to be the in thing atm.

I'm not exactly sure what the differences are between the different onkyo recievers, higher output/more inputs etc I guess? Could you not try and demo the combo?

But I love mine, and wouldn't swap either now (I have to thank the thread starter for that ;)) :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom