SVS Speaker Demo at AV Sales

Matt Horne

Well it was a lovely afternoon... so much better than being at work.

After getting lost on the way there and then getting stuck on the A21 til I hit Sevenoaks i did wonder if I would ever get there!

The guys at AVSales were great.. laid on a lunch with drinks.. and we got to chat with Ron from SVS who literally landed in the UK after a flying visit to Germany.

The Speakers were set up to work with both the PB10 sub and the PB12+ (hell thats a bit of a huge sub..)

The speakers were powered by a Pioneer AX10 and a myryad dvd player.

We heard a mixture of music, concert dvds and of course movies.
The speakers in the flesh look much better than the pics. They are nicely put together, feel very solid and have a lovely smooth finish, rather than the rough texture the photos seem to portray.

Now to be honest I don't worry about the stats just how it sounds to me.. and my only real experience is with Blue Skies and Gallo speakers that I have heard on a regular basis.

I thought the SVS speakers were really good. They gave a very detailed pro-monitor sound.. but they seemed to work better with music than the blue skies which for excel with movies. The PB10 surprised me at the power and depth it added.. though when the PB12+ was added in the higher sub frequencies seemed less pronounced and the bottom end was mighty deep (the room had a lot to do with this as both subs were in different positions and due to a extension to the side of the room you could stand there and the bass disappeared!)

We had music from Joss Stone, Steely Dan, Blue Man Group to name a few. The Movie segments were from the usually suspects like U571 and Master and Commander. I felt sorry for those working in the office downstairs as M&C at ref level was scary :)

The speakers being the same matched very well, both subs adding to the overall soundstage. The dialogue was always clear and detailed and never strained or pinched even at high volume. Even at ref level (and I was sitting near the rear left speaker) I was quite happy and did not feel the sound was fatiguing at all.

They had loads of punch and handled dramatic changes in the soundtracks with ease. We also got to see the gunfight section of Open Range which showed off the full range of one extreme to another. Now tbh a more experienced person could probably find some issues with the way they perform I do not have the ear (thank god imho) to detect the nuiances that drive some of us on endless quests for perfection. There was nothing during the afternoon that stood up and said to me "hmm somethings wrong therw" (except that I again realise the appalling job lucas has done with the Ep3 soundtrack which after watching U571/M&C and Open Range definitely was missing something).

The room being used for the demo was quite small and so we were in the sweet spot but only probably a few feet away from the speakers. For the average room in the Uk I think they would perform excellently with the PB10.

The centre speaker (by far the largest of the set) also comes with a a tiltable stand which allowed easy adjustment of the speaker to the listeners and all the speakers had both simple mounts on the back for fixing to nails in the wall and standard mounts for omnipoint style wall brackets to allow angling of the speakers.

From our conversations there will be further higher end ranges in the future to complement this set. Currently UK pricing has not been set and I had not realised that in the US for pre-orders its currently $899 for the speakers and PB10 package..:eek:

So if you can stand the pro monitor style look (the speakers are not huge but a box is still a box Smile ) and you want a full set for very little money then I would say this is a no brainer.

I expect this will do well in the Uk if they set the price accordingly. The problems will be imho those with a front room setup like me do not necessarily want black box speakers there and those who are able to have dedicated room probably would not be looking at this end of the market for their system.

I understand there should be reviews of the PB10 in the major uk mags in the next couple of months followed by the speaker packages after that.

So will I be selling my Gallos.. well no I like the lifestyle look and their sound too much.. but had I been starting again they would have been seriously considered as the great starting point.

Many thanks to Av Sales/Ron and Ian for inviting me.. it was a very interesting afternoon.. and it was nice to meet a couple of forum members and get to hear a variety of different kit.

Cheers

Matt

Knyght_byte

Novice Member
well, its nice to find out a little more about the speakers, cheers...heh.....they certainly seem to be sounding like something i might consider for a second system in the same room to use for games/movies so i can save my MA's for multi-channel music mostly.........

so US$900 for 5.1 (the speakers plus PB10) means they should retail around what, £600?.....heh, why do i get the feeling they'll retail more like around £1,000? If thats the case i wont bother.......but around £600 i might consider a trip to listen with the intention of buying if i like......altho i'd probably consider upgrading to a bigger sub...lol

AngelEyes

Distinguished Member
Matt you forgot to mention Ron also had the PB12+2, which in Piano Black was an imposing beast to say the least.

I have to agree with most of Matt's comments about the speakers. They are not exactly items of beauty but as I was considering M&Ks these seem like an alternative and certainly a cheaper one. The gunfight scene in open range really showed up the weaknesses in my own system but with a 3k amp running them, they ought to sound good I reckon. ;) Still for the price (?) they certainly pack a punch.

I am no expert in HT but from the few demos I have had in the past, e.g. M&K 850s, I would say these were noticeably better. But then, different room, different setup...

The PB10 was very impressive for the price and it kept up with the larger models pretty well until the volume got really loud. Switching to either Plus sub had the floor noticeably vibrating but we were on the first floor.

Even at near reference level the +2 didn't really sound very different to the + but that is probably due to the small size of the room and my untrained ear. :)

I was nice to meet Ron and hear about the company and some of the other guys too, nice day out! :)

AngelEyes

Distinguished Member
Knyght_byte said:
so US$900 for 5.1 (the speakers plus PB10) means they should retail around what, £600?.....heh, why do i get the feeling they'll retail more like around £1,000? If thats the case i wont bother.......but around £600 i might consider a trip to listen with the intention of buying if i like......altho i'd probably consider upgrading to a bigger sub...lol
I get that feeling too but I would suggest a demo before writing them off :)

I can't believe I was seriously considering spending £2-3k for a 5 speaker package. Listening to these made me realise I don't need to spend that kind of money to get an impressive sounding system. (I don't mean they are as good as a 3k package!!)

Matt Horne

Was the +2 actually hooked up ? I thought it was just the PB10 and the PB12+ that ran that day hence I did not mention the immense +2 (though I agree it looks the biz in piano black..)

Don't forget that the $899 price in the US is a pre-order price only.. it wil be $1k after that plus you need to add shipping and sales tax if applicable.

Not having bought a set of speakers in a long time.. say this package was about a £1k for speakers and sub.. what is its competitors at that price ?

Matt

AngelEyes

Distinguished Member
Hi Matt,

It was hooked up, although most of the demo was using the PB10, the PB12+2 was running for some of the Film stuff, Star Wars III, Master & Commander etc. (You could tell when it was on because the floor was moving. It also reproduced the Joss Stone bass line perceptably better than the Plus).

Some £1k-ish speaker packages I can think of:

Mission M Cubes
Tannoy Arena
Miller & Kreisel K Series
Bose Acoustimass 15
Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo Package 6.1

I would really like to hear the speaker package running off a more modest amp, say £1k budget and compare it with something like the M&K K series as they are smaller monitor style speakers but more expensive.

Ian J

Banned
Well there's not much left for me to add as Matt has said most of it but we played some quite demanding music including female vocals from Joss Stone and Alison Kraus and there was no trace of harshness or sibilance. Integration of satellites and sub as well as dynamics was tested with Blue Man Group and there was just a smooth flow of sound from deep down to high up.

I took down Steely Dan - Two Against Nature which is recorded so brightly that I can't play it on my M&K MPS1510 speakers as it sounds so harsh but the SVS retains the neutrality and clarity of M&K but manages to tame the excessive brightness that puits many people off them.

It was good to meet Ron Stimson the co-founder of SVS and to hear about the early days of the company, the corporate philosophy and what drives the men behind it. The success of the company has been to offer excellent products at real value for money prices and this has been managed partly by keeping the company overheads as low as possible, taking a smaller profit margin per unit than is traditional in the industry but returning those savings in the form of more expensive ingredients than would be expected at the price point. It has worked in the subwoofers that they cut their teeth on and it seems to have worked again with the speakers where the quality of tweeter and crossover in particular is far higher than would normally be expected in that price range.

My M&K speakers retailed at about £900 per pair yet at normal listening levels one would be hard pushed to discover where the extra money has gone.

The success of any sub / sat combo depends very much on the quality of the subwoofer and part of the success of this complete setup will be the quality of the PB-10 but the very reason that makes this setup so good is also the same reason that will restrict it's sales, as the PB-10 is fairly sizeable.

This setup is without doubt the very best 5.1 system that I have heard under £1,000 and for anyone who is in the market for a new speaker system at that price break you should stick this at the top of your short list and try and make sure that you demo it.

It was quite a long day for me but well worth it as I met Matt and AngelEyes from the forum plus Alastair, Andy, Hayes and Ian from AV-Sales / Kent Home Cinema as well as Ron from SVS and it's always good to put faces to names.

AngelEyes

Distinguished Member
Just in case anyone was wondering... Yes IanJ really is that good looking! :D

Badger0-0

Interesting.
Nice one chaps.
Do any of you have any experience of my setup (MS902, 903, 905 and 309)?
I'd love to know how they compare.
I know the SVS sub is better than mine and at circa £1k, I really fancy this setup.

Ian J

Banned
AngelEyes said:
I would really like to hear the speaker package running off a more modest amp, say £1k budget and compare it with something like the M&K K series as they are smaller monitor style speakers but more expensive.
If AV-Sales will sell them in other than complete sets I will happily buy a pair when they are released in early 2006 and you would be more than welcome to come and listen to them on the end of more modest amplification.

You could compare these £175 per pair (???) speakers with my £900 per pair M&K and if others were interested I would even be happy to buy a pair of something else to chuck into the comparison pot - the award winning Epos ELS3 at £200 per pair perhaps.

AngelEyes

Distinguished Member
Ian J said:
...you would be more than welcome to come and listen to them on the end of more modest amplification.
Careful Ian, people will talk :rolleyes:

Thank you for the offer, I may take you up on that after I get my house sorted. :)

owain_thomas

Did you have a listen to these speakers without a sub? I'd be quite interested in a small pair of monitors to go with my PC when I move but don't really want a PB10 (or any sub for that matter) knocking around.

Jbev

Novice Member
Is there any clue as to when we will see these speakers on sale in GB? Will they also give us the option of 7.1 and 5.1 like the US market?

Regards

Joel

Ian J

Banned
That's something that only AV-Sales / Kent Home Cinema can answer and maybe someone from there can post their thoughts here next week.

Member 6435

Good afternoon all.

Picking up on a previous post I can confirm the first shipment of speakers will be leaving the states shortly.

The first twenty 5.0 packs we get will be paired up with the PB10 sub woofer and we will be creating an introductory 5.1 package offer for forum members. Pricing will be announced sometime this week.

We can also supply the 5.0 speaker packs without the PB10 or, alternatively, package these with another sub of your choice.

Once stocks have been built up and SVS provides each speaker packaged individually we will be in a position to offer these as separate items.

Regards

Alastair:hiya:

kick ass sub

Standard Member
I'm might buy this one. First I was planning on buying the MA B4 AV system or the S6 AV system. But I think this might turn out just a bit to expensive. Certainly because I would want to buy another sub afterwards like the BK xls200 or something.

This system might be a bit weak for music. But after all I'll use it for movies for purpose. And this sounds like a good start for my home theater entering. I might take a risk here as almost no one almost heard it.

Don't worry. I'm not a SVS, BK or REL battler. I believe there all very good. I just try to choose the best in my budged.

Can someone maybe tell me about the PB10 subwoofer? Is it better then the BK xls200? My room is 4m x 4.5 m. Will this system be right for my room? The woofer is a large and bit ugly but I don't care that much.

Ian J

Banned
kick ass sub said:
Can someone maybe tell me about the PB10 subwoofer? Is it better then the BK xls200?
It is considerably louder, deeper and cleaner than the BK XLS200. We listened to the BK and PB-10 side by side a few months ago and commented on the differences here

kick ass sub

Standard Member
thanks for the link. I hope I still can find it somewhere for €1000. Because in europe it seams to come on a price of €1500 witch shipping costs and taxes included. I think it's not fair that in the USA those things are cheaper to get. And because of the taxes and shippings to European dealers they get €500 more expensive.

Please let us know what you think of the system when you can get your hands on it. And some pictures of course would be great. :) Hope I still can get my hands on it in a few weeks for a fair price.

S

superpixel

I haven't heard the SVS, but the speakers of those who kindly made the trip to AV Sales (Anthony Gallos and Mission 733s) are the worst two sets of speakers I've ever had the misfortune to own - although the Missions were a cheap 'n cheerful price from Mr. Richer I remember.

Forget the award-winners, I'd like to see the SVS take on a B&W 600 package instead. I keep an open mind for any such contest, but it would be sad for the British specialty of high-quality budget bookshelves to lose out to mail-order business...

AngelEyes

Distinguished Member
superpixel said:
I haven't heard the SVS, but the speakers of those who kindly made the trip to AV Sales (Anthony Gallos and Mission 733s) are the worst two sets of speakers I've ever had the misfortune to own - although the Missions were a cheap 'n cheerful price from Mr. Richer I remember.
I can't comment on the Anthony Gallos but I have no doubt the Missions are well past their prime having had them for over 10 years I think, so you get no arguments from me on that point.

Ian's impression of the system was also positive and his M&Ks are generally highly regarded and considerably more expensive.

I don't know if Kent Home Cinema stock B&W but if they do, why not go down and let us know what you think? :)

AngelEyes

Distinguished Member
A quick question, what was the name of the Blue Man group DVD we used for ther demo?

Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews

Latest News

What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Warner Bros 2021 movies coming to HBO Max and cinemas simultaneously
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett