Question SVS sb4000 or Arendal sub2

Rick84

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Has anybody had a direct comparison between the two subs mentioned above?

Just read a review comparing the two with the sub 2 coming out in top.

Do you have a link to this review, want to see where they're coming from.

Sure, give me a minute, just eating mi tea.

On this forum somewhere

I've had a quick once over and although its translated poorly I kinda get the gist of what they're saying. Cant say I agree with some of the description or the conclusion because it isn't as absolute as the reviewer seems to suggest.

My comparison is between the Sub 2 and SB13Ultra (very similar to the SB4000).

In terms of room filling output they're similar. The SVS digs deeper with sofa shaking bass but whilst the Arendal may tickle you in that region occasionally it ultimately shys away leaving you wanting. However the Arendal has more chest thumping punch upward of 30hz but below 20hz it drops off a cliff, aggressive high pass filtering to protect the drivers I presume.

Whilst there is much crossover between the two the SVS' area of strength is below 50hz, Arendal above 25hz, comparatively speaking. It's probably why some say the SVS has a full fat presentation and the Arendal more lean and clean. Makes sense if you think about it since the lower you go in octave the longer the decay time so it may add to the "slowness" some perceive although in reality it's anything but slow. Next is the design goal.

The SVS driver is bullet proof, high excursion and can take a lot of punishment before you hear mechanical distortion, ideal for low end excursion. The Arendal drivers are strong but lighter with less excursion capabilities so can reach their limits quicker and thus prone to mechanical distortion when pushed low and hard. I believe the group delay on the Arendal drivers are better although dont have any measurements to backup this claim. Probably why it has a reputation of being "fast" and "musical", along with slightly easier integration with full range speakers.

So it comes down to application and taste. I like both so ended up with dual 13Ultras (would've been 16U but wasnt released then) and dual Sub 1s (near identical to the Sub 2 but with less output).

Keep in mind the review is just one persons opinion as is mine, ideally if you can home trial both and go from there.

If anyone did want to listen to a SVS, you'd be most welcome if you wanted to hear mine :)

I lose track of your system... i thought you had Arendals??

So conflicted with this decision and with the price increase on the arendal closing in its not helping.

Dual sb3000 is tempting at the minute

Well in my room the SB 4000 beats the Arendal sub 3 I had previously .
More bass that I can feel ..

So conflicted with this decision and with the price increase on the arendal closing in its not helping.

Dual sb3000 is tempting at the minute

You won't be disappointed with that setup. But you won't be disappointed with Dual Sub2's either.... you'll get a different quality to the bass but it'll be good.

Based on your earlier comments though I think the SB3000 (or a single SB16 ;)) might be a better fit for you though.

If they did that in white, i'd have one already...

It probably has to do with room decor and other speakers but white just stood out too much in my room, the sub 2 looked like a mini refrigerator whereas the black version was less conspicuous.

It probably has to do with room decor and other speakers but white just stood out too much in my room, the sub 2 looked like a mini refrigerator whereas the black version was less conspicuous.

Indeed, our room is very minimalist and a white Sub 2 disappears into the room - despite the size. A gloss black SVS stood out a lot (I had an SB2000 and it was more conspicuous than the Sub2 is!)

My Sub 2s arrived today. Of course I haven't had a chance to compare with the SVS but the initial reaction is that these Arendals are unbelievably capable and well built. As with the rest of the Arendal range the build and sound quality is worthy of a much higher price band.

I'm sure you won't go wrong with SVS subs but the Arendals are spectacular and I'm delighted.

I’m still deciding between dual SB-4000 or dual Arendal Sub2... Every SB4000 reviews are glowing and there is almost no pro reviews for the Sub2. I have been reading the Arendal thread at this forum and it seems from reading between lines that “maybe” Sub2 owners are happier than Sub3 owners cause there are some of them that sold their Sub 3 and took the SVS way.
Anyone around here that that changed from SVS to Sub 2??? Any comments about SVS SB-4000 vs Sub2 will be VERY welcomed.

Thanks!

I’m still deciding between dual SB-4000 or dual Arendal Sub2... Every SB4000 reviews are glowing and there is almost no pro reviews for the Sub2. I have been reading the Arendal thread at this forum and it seems from reading between lines that “maybe” Sub2 owners are happier than Sub3 owners cause there are some of them that sold their Sub 3 and took the SVS way.
Anyone around here that that changed from SVS to Sub 2??? Any comments about SVS SB-4000 vs Sub2 will be VERY welcomed.

Thanks!

In the end it will probably be something that you read that will sway your decision one way or the other.

And between dual SB16 Ultra and dual Arendal 2 ???

Yes, and please elaborate your answer. I assume SVS has a bit more bass depth but whats about the rest?
Thanks!

I won’t do a direct comparison between the two but my preference is the SB16.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom