Question SVS SB3000 or dual SB1000's

Pirateboy

Hi all.

I've been reading up on subs for a while & think I'm ready to take the plunge.
i was toying with a power amp for my system but I don't need it any louder, I just want a bit more low end.
It's a dedicated listening room 12 x 24ft only for music. It's been treated with traps, deflectors, & absorbers I have a Garrard 401, phono pre, linn majik DSM 3, Dali Opticon 8's. Speakers 2ft away from the wall, sitting 8ft away directly in the middle.
Sounds great for most music but I think with my heavier music it could do with a hand
Would I be better going for dual SB 1000s, which would hopefully work quite well in the corners, or for one sb3000?
Or any other suggestions would be most welcome.
I want to keep the budget to around £1200.

Thanks in advance.
5F825F0C-10EB-43EA-946A-CC488F896044.jpeg

Pirateboy

If I was looking at subs purely for music I'd be looking at REL for sure.
I've read a lot & people seem to say the svs are better value for money with very similar performance, but most discussions on subs always seem for home theatre. Which REL models would you recommend, keeping within budget!
Am I right in thinking duals would be better than one bigger sub?!

gibbsy

The REL S Serie are designed with music in mind and they have a new and rather expensive models out. I have a small T5 which is pretty good at underpinning music which I only use with 5.1 SACD, film and TV and it's been trouble free for over eight years now.

Gasp3621

I had a look at those & they're in budget. The front facing ones for hifi?
It shouldn`t matter as low frequencies are omni-directional. Splitting hairs there, pick the one that suits you better. Talk with audio engineer / subwoofer designer and you will see that lot of those DF/FF claims are just some myths.

Remember the placement of subwoofers will be key point so with that in mind maybe the smaller XLS200 could be better option as you can move them bit more, but i don´t know how strong bass you are after. XXLS400 is well known as musical woofer here at AVF by hundreds of owners over the years and there is certainly difference between those two. Corner placement is ideal in many cases, but it can result in boomy bass, if that is the case then moving the subs closer to your speakers can be effective giving you smoother response.

Pirateboy

Great info, thank you all so much.
I enquired with a supplier about dual sb1000's & they said for hifi I'd be better off with REL T5i's.
I've put a pic of my room on, the speakers are 2ft from the wall & nearly 3ft from the side walls so there's a bit of wiggle room there.
The REL s series looks great & blows the budget to pieces so that's out of the question.
I'm love my system with most music, acoustic guitars, live albums, the mrs loves classical. But I also like a blast of Tool, NIN, Trent Moller, aphex twin, really heavy bass that they struggle to keep up with when I crank it up.
So it looks like a toss up between the REL & BK.
Would I be better off trying one single sub first or just dive in with duel?

MI55ION

Great info, thank you all so much.
I enquired with a supplier about dual sb1000's & they said for hifi I'd be better off with REL T5i's.
I've put a pic of my room on, the speakers are 2ft from the wall & nearly 3ft from the side walls so there's a bit of wiggle room there.
The REL s series looks great & blows the budget to pieces so that's out of the question.
I'm love my system with most music, acoustic guitars, live albums, the mrs loves classical. But I also like a blast of Tool, NIN, Trent Moller, aphex twin, really heavy bass that they struggle to keep up with when I crank it up.
So it looks like a toss up between the REL & BK.
Would I be better off trying one single sub first or just dive in with duel?
My only concern with the addition of subs in a dedicated stereo setup such as yours is it introduces a bunch of new challenges in terms of integration.

Unless you get really lucky and find the perfect balance between the low end roll off of the stereo speakers and subs with proper time alignment and smooth low end response.

Not saying you shouldn't do it, the benefits of stereo bass is well worth it imo but it might keep you busy for a long while.

Nice setup btw. :smashin:

Pirateboy

My only concern with the addition of subs in a dedicated stereo setup such as yours is it introduces a bunch of new challenges in terms of integration.

Unless you get really lucky and find the perfect balance between the low end roll off of the stereo speakers and subs with proper time alignment and smooth low end response.

Not saying you shouldn't do it, the benefits of stereo bass is well worth it imo but it might keep you busy for a long while.

Nice setup btw. :smashin:
I definitely won't get lucky! Every step forward in audio has brought its own quirks & problems but I'm really looking forward to trying a sub out.

MI55ION

Just sold a pair of Arendal Sub 1s that would've worked beautifully in your system for music. Within your budget too.
:facepalm:

Gasp3621

I would go some well known dealer which sells both preferably and compare them, AudioVisualOnline does if you can make the trip. Some dealers like to sell certain brands more, they might get better sale bonuses so you can take their opinions as grain of salt and decide yourself after listening both. There is no doubt that REL subwoofers are great on stereo system, but also expensive what you get.

If you dig around you will find that SB1000 is often called very musical subwoofer.

"SB-1000 sounds great when it comes to music, provides tight accurate and detailed bass, and made most tracks much fuller and enjoyable. "

"I like the SB-1000 better for music. It feels tight, accurate and responsive to me, and it can keep up with fast and complex bass notes and beats. "

"The SVS SB-1000 is a great subwoofer when the bass box can`t be large. The SB-1000 kicks music hard and integrates seamlessly into the main speakers."

Conrad.

Using REW room sim you should get pretty comparable results with an SB3000 in one corner or an SB1000 in both. What might make the most improvement though is if you sit about a foot to the left, that seems to smooth the response nicely.

BriD

Using REW room sim you should get pretty comparable results with an SB3000 in one corner or an SB1000 in both. What might make the most improvement though is if you sit about a foot to the left, that seems to smooth the response nicely.
Remember, because there's no delay function in the amp, it's going to be preferable to have the sub as close to the speakers as possible imho :)

Conrad.

Remember, because there's no delay function in the amp, it's going to be preferable to have the sub as close to the speakers as possible imho :)
Even without the delay, a sub in a one (or both) corners and a foot to the left gives better extension and a smoother response. It does help to invert the phase on one of the subs if you have a pair though.

Scott_Mac

Personally, i'd put a single SB3000 a couple of leagues ahead of 2 x SB1000 (a single SB2000 is better than 2 x SB1000 IMHO - having owned all 3!)

As above though, if it's just music, the integration of REL into stereo systems is second to none though...

Pirateboy

I had a chat with REL support UK in Bridgend. I went through room size, speakers etc & he recommended a t9i, with a view to duals in the future. He said he had similar sized speakers & slightly bigger room & he runs dual T9i's & loves them. He would say that though! PT has graded T9i's for £799. I'm very tempted, maybe even go for the duel, but going to have a think over the weekend. Any thoughts, overkill?

Pirateboy

My pair of t9i's landed today & been playing about for a couple of hours now. Not perfect but my god... the difference is ridiculous. By the time I had one set up pretty good it sounded like they were both going even though the other one wasn't plugged in. Played about bringing it away from the wall, then brought the volume up, then the crossover, did the same for other. Then put them both on, literally blown away. The sound stage has gone huge & the imaging is stunning. Half way through Fear Inoculum by Tool, it sound so much better. The kick drum & bass are obviously improved but still tight. The delay they use one their guitars, it's like it's swimming aroumd, vocals improved, high hats & cymbals are so much crisper I've had some hip hop on, classical, very happy so far. Lots of tweaking to come, but so far I'm totally sold on subs!
Thanks to everyone for their input.

indus

Interesting thread. What is it about the RELs that make them better for 2ch stereo compared to others at the same price or size point?

Thanks