SVS SB2000 to SVS PB3000 upgrade worth it?

supersonic 395

I'm looking at upgrading my current SVS SB2000 subwoofer as I'd like to get something that extends lower and has more impact.

I'm thinking of getting the SVS PB3000 which would be a level up in the range and ported design. (Main listening is for movies).

Would the upgrade be worth it? Alternatively I could keep the SB2000 and then get the PB3000 and run them together as dual subs. Would this be problematic as they'd be 2 different types of subwoofer (i.e. sealed vs ported)

sm1ggsy

Sell sb and put it towards another pb and never look back

AmericanAudio

AVForums Sponsor
The 3000 range is considered quite a sweetspot in the range.

Would be a great step up but generally it is better not to mix model ranges if you can help it.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I'm looking at upgrading my current SVS SB2000 subwoofer as I'd like to get something that extends lower and has more impact.

I'm thinking of getting the SVS PB3000 which would be a level up in the range and ported design. (Main listening is for movies).

Would the upgrade be worth it? Alternatively I could keep the SB2000 and then get the PB3000 and run them together as dual subs. Would this be problematic as they'd be 2 different types of subwoofer (i.e. sealed vs ported)

Yep, sell the SB2000 as it really can´t keep up with the PB3000 if you go wild with the volume. For reference the outside max output from 2meters shows us SB2000 - ~92db and for PB3000 - ~108db so there is massive difference how these two perform.

Mixing sealed vs. ported read this informative post by @Conrad

rccarguy2

Don't get the PB3000 get the JTR RS2 or Capviavator ULF 4000 (two of them)

There is difference between ported and sealed, I personally prefer sealed. They're also smaller, and easier to place. Depends on the room size really, I found my big SVS ported didn't work as well as the sealed version of the same sub.

I've owned sealed and ported SVS models

steve sph

'Extends lower and has more impact...'
Then a ported sub, (or ideally subs), it is then.
And the PB3000 would be a great choice, although I'd also consider equivalent models from Paradigm/Hsu/Arendal/Outlaw/Monoprice/ before pulling the trigger.
Also check on how long you're likely to be waiting given this wretched pandemic.

Mr Wolf

I have the benefit of currently owning both of those SVS subs (in different systems) and can assure you 110% that there is a night and day difference between them in terms of performance. For movies , PB-3000s are LFE monsters - even my wife loves them and she's not really into this stuff.

Personally I much prefer the sound of ported subs with movies and would only ever consider sealed subs for critical music listening. That said, the biggest surprise for me about the PB3K's is just how good they are with music - extremely clean, fast and tight sounding. This had been observed in several professional reviews but I had to hear it to believe it.

rccarguy2

I have the benefit of currently owning both of those SVS subs (in different systems) and can assure you 110% that there is a night and day difference between them in terms of performance. For movies , PB-3000s are LFE monsters - even my wife loves them and she's not really into this stuff.

Personally I much prefer the sound of ported subs with movies and would only ever consider sealed subs for critical music listening. That said, the biggest surprise for me about the PB3K's is just how good they are with music - extremely clean, fast and tight sounding. This had been observed in several professional reviews but I had to hear it to believe it.

I'm still surprised how good.my svs sbu13 is in a big room, considering I had big ported ultra in a bed room.

High end sealed subs can be sufficient

Mr Wolf

I'm still surprised how good.my svs sbu13 is in a big room, considering I had big ported ultra in a bed room.

High end sealed subs can be sufficient
I agree but you would need several sealed subs to match one ported sub at low frequencies.

For example, the SB-13 Ultra's measured output is about 12dB lower than the PB-3000 at 20Hz and 25Hz. At those frequencies, 12dB is the equivalent of four times the perceived loudness. That's a world apart and is the same as 20dB at non-bass frequencies which is the difference between having say a 10W power amp and 1000W one on your main speakers! It's a different thing altogether. Yes, an SB13-U can fill a fairly large room, just not at very low frequencies like a PB-3000 could.

That said, this very low frequency range is only really used by action movies and once you get over about 40Hz the port output advantage falls away. As all normal music bass content is >40Hz that's where things start to level out.

If you speak to SVS directly, if a sub is to be used for movies and you have the space they always seem to advise you to go for a ported model.

supersonic 395

Okay so I've decided on selling my SB2000 and will get the PB-3000.

Are there any recommended places to order the PB3000 please? I know there some who deals (10% off for example) if ordered from a sponsor here

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member

Are there any recommended places to order the PB3000 please? I know there some who deals (10% off for example) if ordered from a sponsor here

Join the V.I.P and try if you can get -10% off from this 1200£. It would be superb deal then!

Mr Wolf

I think AVO has the best possible prices on those graded units with that extra 10% off. They weren't available when I bought mine which came from my local Richer Sounds store. I paid £2,400 for a pair that were delivered directly from the SVS Distributor (Karma AV) in 2 days.

rccarguy2

Annoying the sb4000 isn't on special like that

Dobbyisfree

How did the upgrade go?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom