SVS SB2000 bottoming out? Expecting too much?

samtl

Novice Member
Hi All,

Excited to test out my new subwoofer I put on 'Ad Astra' and turned the volume to around -10db reference. A few scenes, which admittedly are heavy on bass with rockets etc, caused the subwoofer to rattle past it's comfort zone and create a worrying rattle as it 'bottomed out' (I hope this is the correct term!)

Am I expecting too much? I have run Audyssey and it is set at around -5db. The room is not large at around 2000sq ft. Is there anything I can do to help the situation?

paulst10

Distinguished Member
Are you running the sub hot at all? Was it a flapping sound or a clacking sound? (the latter would be bottoming out) Either way your sub does have protection built in but it could just be it's not run in enough for a heavy hitter like AD Astra from the off?

Was it the Atmos version or the DTSMA? The Atmos AD Astra hits hard around 20-50hz..

samtl

Novice Member
That's a great response, thanks. It was the ATMOS version in fact.

Sorry - what do you mean by running the sub hot? It's turned to half gain on the back of the sub amp and I've run audyssey. then added around +4db to the subwoofer output via the main AV amp.

From what you described, I'm pretty sure it was a clacking sound on extremely loud/ powerful scenes, like the driver was over extending and hitting it's physical limits.

It's fully run in (it's second hand/ year old, hence my concern whether it was normal).

Thanks!

Last edited:

paulst10

Distinguished Member
That's a great response, thanks. It was the ATMOS version!

Back to basics: what do you mean by running the sub hot? It's turned to half gain on the back of the sub amp and I've run audyssey. then added around +4db to the subwoofer output via the main AV amp.

From what you described, I'm pretty sure it was a clacking sound on extremely loud/ powerful scenes, like the driver was over extending and hitting it's physical limits.

It's fully run in (it's second hand/ year old, hence my concern whether it was normal).

Thanks!
Yeh adding the 4db indicates you're running the sub 'hot'. By all means 4db isn't a lot but for a movie that's already hot, it might be a bit too much.. Do you recall any timestamps where it caused the problems? I'll post the heatmap below so you can see if it corresponds to what you heard, but I can see there's a few bits that could be problematic for smaller subs (around 28m, 34m an 49m, and possibly a few areas after those)

Just concentrate on the right half of the graph. Timestamps are on the left, frequency (0-40hz) along the bottom, the white parts are the hot areas where this probably happened..

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.
Top Bottom