Question SVS SB13 Ultra Subwoofer, worth the upgrade?

Trojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I currently have a Bk XXLS400 which I run with Kef R500s and a R200 across the front and R100s as surounds. Av receiver is a Denon X4200W.
The BK is placed in a corner beside the sofa to the left of the front sound stage and as this is a living room, this is the only place where the sub can go.
If I did get the Svs, it would be firing across the front sound stage from where it would be placed.
Question is would the Svs be a notable upgrade considering the cost.

It would think it would be a massive upgrade as i have just gone from the xxls400 to the pb2000 and find that the svs is far superior to the bk and i am hearing bass that i didnt realise i was missing and i also have the denon x4200w

It would think it would be a massive upgrade as i have just gone from the xxls400 to the pb2000 and find that the svs is far superior to the bk and i am hearing bass that i didnt realise i was missing and i also have the denon x4200w
That's interesting to read. I was looking at the SB-2000 but I was wondering if it would be much of an upgrade.

Not sure of the sb i really wanted the ported as i like for movies and all i can say is that i am more than glad that i made the move.

The svs is a much better sub than the bk.
It out performs the monolith with the benefit of a sealed box.

However like everything with bass it will depend on your room / seating position but even with that in mind the sb13 ultra will add bass depth to the presentation the bk doesnt have.

I made the exact same move about 4 years ago so am speaking from direct experience

The svs is a much better sub than the bk.
It out performs the monolith with the benefit of a sealed box.

However like everything with bass it will depend on your room / seating position but even with that in mind the sb13 ultra will add bass depth to the presentation the bk doesnt have.

I made the exact same move about 4 years ago so am speaking from direct experience
Thank you. Sub will be in the left hand corner of the room from where I will be sitting.I cant have the Sub facing me as there is a sofa along the wall in front of the Sub.
The sub will be turned sideways with the front facing the opposite wall so will be throwing across the front speakers. Just worried that this positioning will negate the extra quality of the Svs over the Bk.

The way it faces wont matter mate just the overall room interaction dictates the bass we get to a very large degree.

The sb 13 is a smooth operator most of the time but has got a reasonable amount of welly

Output is much cleaner than the bk as well

The way it faces wont matter mate just the overall room interaction dictates the bass we get to a very large degree.

The sb 13 is a smooth operator most of the time but has got a reasonable amount of welly

Output is much cleaner than the bk as well
Great, thanks. Measuring up I don't think it's going to be too much bigger than the BK.

I can handle deeper:D As longer as its not to much wider or taller then it should be good.
Just got to try get the price down now.

It'll be a big step up as mentioned. While you're pricing up, consider the PSA subs as well. The S1500 is basically the same size as the 400 and is a big leap up in every aspect.

There's not much movement on the price of the SVS SB13 ultra. Maybe not as much profit headroom as other brands.

A quick google of the SB13 Ultra price and :eek:

Definitely research the PSAs would be my advice.

Speak to Adam @ Nintronics see what he can do for you.

At the price for the SB13 might as well stump up the extra and get the SB16 Ultra - obviously if thats possible

Speak to Adam @ Nintronics see what he can do for you.

At the price for the SB13 might as well stump up the extra and get the SB16 Ultra - obviously if thats possible
If I got the SB16, I will have to stump up for a new wife.

I once heard that deep bass gives a woman a tingle - the added deep bass induced pleasure for you both actually from the SB16 might be enough motivation for her to let you have 2 of them

I've put my BK XL400 for sale in the classifieds. If it sells then I will upgrade but if not then I will take it as a sign that the BK will do for a bit longer.

My BK sold straight away - they are very good subs still - well made last for years with no issues.
For a lot of people more than good enough - good luck with your sale and new purchase

If I got the SB16, I will have to stump up for a new wife.

I went from 2 SB13's to a single SB16 and don't regret it at all. I still have a girlfriend too! The dealer didn't want her as part of the trade in..... :p

I went from 2 SB13's to a single SB16 and don't regret it at all. I still have a girlfriend too! The dealer didn't want her as part of the trade in..... :p
But if you needed to... Would you have?.... Go on... She'll not read this ;)

So after some ringing around I've managed to get a good price on a gloss black SB13 ultra. The SB16 Ultra looks great but I think it might be too much for my living room power wise. My room is about 4m x 5m with about 3.6m high ceiling and I'm in a terrraced house although it has nice solid walls.
Still not fully decided and my BK 400 has still not sold which I might end up keeping.

My room is similar to yours and the 16 is just fine. :)

I like dual subs to even the sound to seating position - if you positions to place them. think about 2 x SVS PB2000 perhaps. At £829Ea from HiFix thats £1,658 less than one SB13 at £1,749! the PB2000 will hit lower as ported and if place in the room in the right places will help the room modes. the over all SPL will be boosted to some degree by 2 x subs. they are a bit big ;) but the way to go.

I run 3 SVS subs in my 4500cubic foot room (2 x SB12NSD and one PC13 Ultra). a bit of a mish mash but the ported PC13 Ultra does add <30Hz bass.

or 2 x SVS PC2000 SVS PC-2000 Cylinder Subwoofer Review

I like the cylinder subs they actually fit in well and you can move them around as not so heavy beasts. I'm pleased with my second hand PC13 ultra. £849 so same price for less floor footprint.

PC2000 might be better WAF than the PB2000. . . . or might not be ;)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom