• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

SVS SB1000 v BK P12 300SB PR v REL HT1003

Laubau

I'm upgrading my Wharfedale SW150 subwoofer, which I've been quite happy with performance but always think what a step up would be like. I've chosen the 3 subs above within my budget, which will give me the best performance upgrade from the Wharfedale?
I use the sub for music as much as I do for films.
Feel free to recommend any others within the £500 budget I have. Thanks

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I'm upgrading my Wharfedale SW150 subwoofer, which I've been quite happy with performance but always think what a step up would be like. I've chosen the 3 subs above within my budget, which will give me the best performance upgrade from the Wharfedale?
I use the sub for music as much as I do for films.
Feel free to recommend any others within the £500 budget I have. Thanks

You could have mentioned which size room you have and how loud you typically play, what you looking to gain with new sub etc? :)

If the SW150 has been working fine for music then BK Monolith should do aswell and for movies it would be totally different beast. Considering the performance it would be best product for about 540£ shipped. But if too large cab then P12-PR and SVS PB1000 should be your next best options. PB1000 would be lot more fun with blockbuster movies vs. SB1000.

If you want to read about the differences on movies and music between those two SVS models, then scroll this link to part "Listening" and read from there forwards till end!

BK has few new grade-b M+ in mint condition. This is the Plus model with different driver and more beefier amp to basic one.

Also you can get the 300w Monolith in FF/DF in your favourite finish for about 510-520£ shipped.

Laubau

Yes forgot to mention room is 5m x 3m and play music and films with reasonable volume. Hoping to get a much deeper bass than the Wharfedale allows. The monolith is far too big for my room and would like to keep it the maximum size of the BK P12 300.
I'm edging towards the SVS or BK as both have 12inch drivers were as the REL has 10inch same as my Wharfedale.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Yes forgot to mention room is 5m x 3m and play music and films with reasonable volume. Hoping to get a much deeper bass than the Wharfedale allows. The monolith is far too big for my room and would like to keep it the maximum size of the BK P12 300.
I'm edging towards the SVS or BK as both have 12inch drivers were as the REL has 10inch same as my Wharfedale.

Driver size alone won`t tell you the whole truth. Example the PB1000 (10") will outperform the SB1000 (12") in both output at working range and extension! SB1000 has sealed cabinet and PB1000 larger ported cab like your SW150. Just read the link i posted if busy then go tv/movies part and you get good idea what the SB1000 misses. PB1000 is very strong with deep bass outperforming many models with 12" driver, it will dig much lower than your existing one. Also i can imagine the quality of bass will be on different level with SVS and BK so you can`t really go wrong with either one.

Still says out of stock cause no parts, but i think they should be close to getting em by now.

xSLYx

The rel is good for movies but lacks upper frequencies and sounds a bit thick for music. Pb1000 is better but lacked some mid bass frequencies and wasn't as tight, haven't heard the bk's.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom