SVS SB/PB3000 owner’s thread

Didn't realise there was an owners' Thread!:facepalm:

Am thinking of getting a SB-3000 to replace my current MA Gold Sub. The performance is good, the floor rumbles beneath my feet, but it's no more visceral than that.

These are the specs for my Monitor Audio Gold W15:

15" driver
3" of travel
Down to 18 Hz
650 Watts continuous/1200 watts peak

SVS SB-3000:

13.5" driver
4" of travel (I think)
Down to 18 Hz
800 watts continuous/2500 watts peak (!)

Will a Sub with a smaller driver, but more travel and a bigger amp outperform one with a bigger driver, less travel and a smaller amp?

The room's 15' x 10', AV receiver is a Marantz SR7010 + an IOTA AVXP1 power amp.

Thanks!

As a minium throw your room dimensions in REWs room simulation (free to download) and move MLP where you sit exactly to see how your room response looks. Concentrate to look is there big dips and how the low freq extension looks. Peaks are no issue. That sub is no slouch what you got there. Don´t use the impact eq setting, use Music or Movie. I think Music gives you best extension and your room is rather small so you should get good boost for low end. That sub also comes with LEO room correction so it flattens the room response.

@Mr Wolf - I just don't have the space to run two Subs, this is a normal living room not a dedicated theatre space.

@Gasp3621 - I'm afraid graphs and measurements really aren't my thing and I really have no comprehension of what they mean at all.

Will experiment with the pre-set EQ's and, I suppose, I could always just turn the volume output up (I'm currently running it at 0 dB)!

To both of you: I found the owner's manual online and it shows a graph (which I don't understand):

It's on page 9. Which EQ setting should I use for the lowest extension please?

Thanks for your input so far, much appreciated.:)

p.s. Forgot to mention: I live in a flat, top floor. But my neighbours are great; they're a couple of 20-something metalheads and have never complained about my film watching!

Last edited:
@Mr Wolf - I just don't have the space to run two Subs, this is a normal living room not a dedicated theatre space.

OK, but then you must also consider the fact that spending more on a sub with more output may be pointless if you're sitting in a major null. As an example, this a chart of the FR at my MLP with a single sub up front. That deep null between 40-55Hz is in the heart of the critical chest slam region and in my case a "major null-free" FR was only possible adding a second sub.

Single Velo up front.jpg

Now your situation may be much better than this but personally I wouldn't want to be investing more in subs unless and until I knew what was happening in my room.

In most MA subs the Music mode is best, it doesn`t add any boost anywhere and allows best extension. You can then boost the sub from your receiver, keep in mind that Audussey sets the subwoofer to anemic level for most people. So if your "subwoofer level" (not same as subwoofer trim) came back -6db post Aud. then lower that to -3db or lower. Use Audussey Dynamic EQ if you listen low to moderate levels, it´s kind of loudness feature.

Room sim would have given good idea is there big dips and how that low freq extension looks like now the way you have the sub and MLP. Also is there any better options as i can move both in the program. It´s damn easy to use, but i can have a look too. Send me PM drawn room plan where shows your sub position, where you sit and what is the distances from MLP (where you sit) to nearest side wall and nearest front/rear wall. So if you sit closer to front wall then that distance and if you sit off centre then the closest side wall. It takes 2min to draw it, take picture, upload and send it me via PM. What´s the point throwing +1k£ if the response looks horrible and you can`t change do changes..

I bought a bigger sub as an upgrade, but had to move it from back left, to front right as the new cabinet was bigger. The bass response was worse, despite the sub being more capable. Don't spend the money unless you know it'll save your problem.

I was arguing with a guy on Facebook last night who has upgraded to a JVC NX7 (£8.5k?) but has a white ceiling, white walls and white blinds. He took issue with the fact that I suggested that painting the walls/ceiling (dedicated room) or using fabric, would improve his contrast way more than spending £1000s on a new JVC projector. Money doesn't guarantee performance.

In most MA subs the Music mode is best, it doesn`t add any boost anywhere and allows best extension. You can then boost the sub from your receiver, keep in mind that Audussey sets the subwoofer to anemic level for most people. So if your "subwoofer level" (not same as subwoofer trim) came back -6db post Aud. then lower that to -3db or lower. Use Audussey Dynamic EQ if you listen low to moderate levels, it´s kind of loudness feature.

Room sim would have given good idea is there big dips and how that low freq extension looks like now the way you have the sub and MLP. Also is there any better options as i can move both in the program. It´s damn easy to use, but i can have a look too. Send me PM drawn room plan where shows your sub position, where you sit and what is the distances from MLP (where you sit) to nearest side wall and nearest front/rear wall. So if you sit closer to front wall then that distance and if you sit off centre then the closest side wall. It takes 2min to draw it, take picture, upload and send it me via PM. What´s the point throwing +1k£ if the response looks horrible and you can`t change do changes..
Just PM'd you - thanks.:)

I bought a bigger sub as an upgrade, but had to move it from back left, to front right as the new cabinet was bigger. The bass response was worse, despite the sub being more capable. Don't spend the money unless you know it'll save your problem.

I was arguing with a guy on Facebook last night who has upgraded to a JVC NX7 (£8.5k?) but has a white ceiling, white walls and white blinds. He took issue with the fact that I suggested that painting the walls/ceiling (dedicated room) or using fabric, would improve his contrast way more than spending £1000s on a new JVC projector. Money doesn't guarantee performance.

Harkon what have you bought? Your threads haven´t been updated.

Thanks, appreciate your input very much!:)

I bought a kitchen instead. :(

Bought nothing for my room, bar some acoustic panels, since the summer. Currently trawling quotes for worktops, induction hobs and lighting (to name a few). :rolleyes:

So the MK V12 is still the weapon of choice. Next year, when all this lot is finished, I'll be looking for a pair of SVS SB3000, another V12 or Arendal 1S/2S. Enjoying the journey, no rush. Might be able to bag something in the classifieds in that time as well.

I did. It was a bit of a punt as I knew nothing about it, but it's proved to be a good choice. Just needs a new bulb soon.

I bought a kitchen instead. :(

Bought nothing for my room, bar some acoustic panels, since the summer. Currently trawling quotes for worktops, induction hobs and lighting (to name a few). :rolleyes:

So the MK V12 is still the weapon of choice. Next year, when all this lot is finished, I'll be looking for a pair of SVS SB3000, another V12 or Arendal 1S/2S. Enjoying the journey, no rush. Might be able to bag something in the classifieds in that time as well.

Ok no problem then. I had you in my mind earlier meant to write to you as i saw the SVS price hike coming and some UK dealer mentioned it comes october i think? You spoke the 3000s many times. But if you buying used stuff then no issue. You never know if we find something nice for Dodge and then you can buy the pair SB3000 from him as they rarely comes available as pairs i can imagine. You have such small room with limited floorspace that the compact Sb3000s looks quite ideal plan. Of course if you get another V12 for 600£ then it might be tough to accept spending so much more especially as you enjoying what you hear now and it´s only getting better with the 2nd...

I wonder if the price hike will affect graded stock. AV online said they essentially have van loads to access of the PB3000 last time I spoke with them.

OK, but then you must also consider the fact that spending more on a sub with more output may be pointless if you're sitting in a major null. As an example, this a chart of the FR at my MLP with a single sub up front. That deep null between 40-55Hz is in the heart of the critical chest slam region and in my case a "major null-free" FR was only possible adding a second sub.

View attachment 1578826

Now your situation may be much better than this but personally I wouldn't want to be investing more in subs unless and until I knew what was happening in my room.
Just wanted to say thank you again to both you and @Gasp3621 for helping me with this.

I sent him a terrible hand drawn diagram of my room, the MLP location and the speaker distances. He did the calculations on my behalf and informed me that there's a massive, "suckout in the 45-70hz region", which is why I am not getting the impact I'm looking for.

He suggested, as an option, a second Sub in the room diagonally opposite my main Sub to fill in this gap and I thought of you and your previous suggestion along similar lines.

I've already asked him this, but I thought I'd put it to the Forum as I know nothing about this subject: would a second smaller Sub work well? I was thinking of something from BK like a Gemini, XLS200 or even a Double Gem as the available space is small, I don't think it could accommodate anything bigger than a 10" driver.

I presume I don't need to have another Monitor Audio Sub, that I can mix and match manufacturers as Subs don't have sonic signature like regular speakers do?

Last edited:
There are dedicated threads on mixing and matching subs but the bottom line is yes, you can do it, but it's harder to integrate them. It's also better if their respective output capabilities are very similar.

If it were me I would add a second sub but choose a model that I would happy to have a pair of later down the track. Given your space requirements that might mean running something like a pair of Double Gems at some point. Either that or sell the MA and buy a new pair now.

Hi Derek,
I've previously owned the Silver version of your Gold sub, and for years I thought it was great.
That was until I heard a mate who had dual SVS PB4000's - he stuck on the Bluray of Edge of Tomorrow and it was incredible - almost like a totally different soundtrack to a film I thought I knew well.
Sadly space and stopping the wife just short of serving divorce papers meant I had to settle for the smaller and slightly less bass-tastic SVS SB3000's instead, but my room is not dissimilar in dimensions to yours and it works just fine.
And I'd echo the advice of Mr Wolf - dual subs is a great way to counter nulls/lulls/anomalies which a small-ish room can cause.
I'd never even contemplate going back to a single sub now, as the difference is light and day in terms of balanced and even bass - funnily enough the improvement is as marked with 2 channel stereo music as the expected upgrade in movies.
If you can possibly find a way to accommodate two subs then it's a no-brainer - my only regret, (like most who think one sub is plenty), is that I didn't do it sooner.
And if you have issues selling the idea to the wife, just do what I did and console her by splashing out on a new ironing board and some Ferrero Rocher ;)

Just wanted to say thank you again to both you and @Gasp3621 for helping me with this.

I sent him a terrible hand drawn diagram of my room, the MLP location and the speaker distances. He did the calculations on my behalf and informed me that there's a massive, "suckout in the 45-70hz region", which is why I am not getting the impact I'm looking for.

He suggested, as an option, a second Sub in the room diagonally opposite my main Sub to fill in this gap and I thought of you and your previous suggestion along similar lines.

I've already asked him this, but I thought I'd put it to the Forum as I know nothing about this subject: would a second smaller Sub work well? I was thinking of something from BK like a Gemini, XLS200 or even a Double Gem as the available space is small, I don't think it could accommodate anything bigger than a 10" driver.

I presume I don't need to have another Monitor Audio Sub, that I can mix and match manufacturers as Subs don't have sonic signature like regular speakers do?

You have 2300£ costing 15" sub, so naturally BK doesn`t have anything with similar build quality or performance wise to keep up. While the MA sub isn`t that powerfull the build quality with Gold range is top and sound quality wise in group tests example 1k£ Silver W12 have always kept up with specialized companies (SVS, Arendal). They might not be deep bass monsters, but Gold W15 should have quite massive output higher up and give plenty of impact in that small room. We are still talking about not so small subwoofer with 15" driver in ~1200cuft room. Let`s continue this on PM cause this is way too off-topic now.

Last edited:
My sb 3000 is acting oddly, at least to my taste. Changing presets Music/movie restarts sub. Like I can see all lights on back restarting (volume,phase etc) short click sound and sound resumes after five seconds. Changing any settings individually won’t cause anything,changing whole presets yes.

Hi Derek,
I've previously owned the Silver version of your Gold sub, and for years I thought it was great.
That was until I heard a mate who had dual SVS PB4000's - he stuck on the Bluray of Edge of Tomorrow and it was incredible - almost like a totally different soundtrack to a film I thought I knew well.
Sadly space and stopping the wife just short of serving divorce papers meant I had to settle for the smaller and slightly less bass-tastic SVS SB3000's instead, but my room is not dissimilar in dimensions to yours and it works just fine.
And I'd echo the advice of Mr Wolf - dual subs is a great way to counter nulls/lulls/anomalies which a small-ish room can cause.
I'd never even contemplate going back to a single sub now, as the difference is light and day in terms of balanced and even bass - funnily enough the improvement is as marked with 2 channel stereo music as the expected upgrade in movies.
If you can possibly find a way to accommodate two subs then it's a no-brainer - my only regret, (like most who think one sub is plenty), is that I didn't do it sooner.
And if you have issues selling the idea to the wife, just do what I did and console her by splashing out on a new ironing board and some Ferrero Rocher ;)
Consider this a tripple echo of both @Mr Wolf & @steve sph.....

I had a very good single BK P12-300SB-PR - thought it was fine. Started reading up about dual subs (cheers guys 😉), tried to convince the OH on a 2nd P12 - she didn't budge!

Enter "Project SVS".... like Steve I reached a compromise of 2x SB2000 Pro's (dual 3000's were out of budget etc).... Now even my OH says the 2 smaller SVS subs offer cleaner bass and smoother FR overall vs the single P12 . Which she always said was boomy! Somethings she not said with the 2 SVS's....

I'll never use a single sub again! 👍🏼😊

I also concur stereo music was also improved. Still fiddling with the PEQ's on the subs too. But they sound great just via Audessey EQ!

Anyone know if SVS do an optional cloth grill to replace the metal grill on the sb3000?

Anyone know if SVS do an optional cloth grill to replace the metal grill on the sb3000?

I don't like the metal grille either it rattles and resonates
I guess custom speaker manufacturer.may be able to make one up give dimensions etc should t be too expensive or just make one yourself. MDF with push pins jigsaw hole out route the edge get some women tights material

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom