SVS SB or PB to supplement BK Monolith?

Phil.LFC

Established Member
Reaction score
I’m just finalising my cinema room upgrade and Richer Sounds recommended I get the SVS SB1000 Pro rather than the PB1000 Pro I’d chosen. They seemed to think it would work better as they are both sealed subs. The BK is over 10 years old so it’s the original one, DF.
Having done much research I liked the idea of the PB but are RS correct?
My room is 5m x 2.5m, in case that matters. Thanks

From what I know ported is better for home cinema duties. Is the BK not ported?

I would recommend getting the PB without a doubt in a dedicated room, if you have the space.

But I would supply the port bungs as well so that you can play around with getting a closer match to the BK if you needed to. You can also put the PB into a sealed type mode on the app to help manage the bottom end, again if needed.

I would recommend getting the PB without a doubt in a dedicated room, if you have the space.

But I would supply the port bungs as well so that you can play around with getting a closer match to the BK if you needed to. You can also put the PB into a sealed type mode on the app to help manage the bottom end, again if needed.
Thanks AA, great advice

I’m just finalising my cinema room upgrade and Richer Sounds recommended I get the SVS SB1000 Pro rather than the PB1000 Pro I’d chosen. They seemed to think it would work better as they are both sealed subs. The BK is over 10 years old so it’s the original one, DF.
Having done much research I liked the idea of the PB but are RS correct?
My room is 5m x 2.5m, in case that matters. Thanks

Edit. Mixed you to other guy. :laugh: PB1000 Pro is the way to go!

The BK Monolith is ported although you can run it with bungs in making it pseudo sealed.

I would ideally put another ported with it if you can.

The PB1000 pro is what you should get although the Monoprice 12" THX sub would do a great job with your BK Mono and American Audio has just one left in UK that he can do a great price on if you ask him Phil and at a better price than the SVS.

I have ordered 2 and this one is the last he has don't look at the price he will give you better. He could drop yours off when he delivers mine in a week or so buddy. I would put the 12" THX at front and the BK Mono at the back if you have room for them.

@Phil.LFC I forgot the Monoprices. Looking the PB1000 Pro price i would order the Monolith 10" THX if the 444£ price is still valid on Monoprice UK? The 10" THX Monoprice has very similar performance to BK Monolith (12") 300w judging the measured output and FR. This the difference what newer driver,amp,cab technology can do vs. 2005 or so old design of BK Mono so you get similar performance with smaller driver/cab. That price is so darn low so if the BF deal is still valid put the order in.

Great to hear @kbfern you got the dual 12" models! :) It´s going to be epic with certain type of movies as they should have so much more output potential with lower distortion in the deep bass region over your DIY subs! 😎

Interesting if a 10" monoprice can match a BK Mono (I have the plus) but a smaller cabinet would always be beneficial.

Interesting if a 10" monoprice can match a BK Mono (I have the plus) but a smaller cabinet would always be beneficial.

The original Mono (300w) came early 2000 so the driver & amp technology has went forward. Smaller cab can be beneficial as you could possibly add two vs. one big.

The original Mono (300w) came early 2000 so of course the driver & amp technology has went forward. Smaller cab can be beneficial as you could possibly add two vs. one big.

I could sell my Mono Plus and get a 10" monoprice with minimal outlay. Something I'd do if the monoprice beats the mono plus.

I could sell my Mono Plus and get a 10" monoprice with minimal outlay. Something I'd do if the monoprice beats the mono plus.

No it won´t beat it. What i remember the Mono 10" THX max output figures were at same level to 300w BK Monolith. I would only sell M+ if you can`t fit two of them and would buy 2x 10" THX. Otherwise keep what you have. You always lose selling stuff. Member has fairly new M+ on classifieds and no intrest.

They're probably pretty close to each other not to be worthwhile. Upgrade big, or not at all.

I'd look at high end 12" or 15" (and duals)

When it comes to subwoofers, there is no substitute for size (both the driver and enclosure).

It's similar to good old combustion engines - there is no substitute for engine size either. Sure, you can build very powerful small engines with all kinds of tricks like turbo chargers and chip tuning, but they are nothing like the effortless, silky smooth power delivery of a (appropriately sized) flat-6 engine or the sheer brutal growl of a V8.

If you want to upgrade, buy bigger and better - bigger being often (not always) the precondition for better.

Sorry guys, been busy buying and installing my ceiling speakers the last few days. I got a PB1000 Pro for £719 from Richer Sounds in the end. It was an open box one. They did me a great deal on the whole amp/speaker/sub package and they’re just down the road and there’s a 6 year warranty on most of it. I’m happy with that. They were excellent too. I paid in store on Friday afternoon and everything was delivered Saturday morning!!! Very impressed. Thanks again for all your help and advice.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom