SVS SB-2000 Pro Subwoofer Review & Comments

I am thinking of switching out my 2nd sub. I don't have room for a 2nd PB2000, so sealed it's going to be. Which would you recommend between the sb2000 and the BK model listed in the article?

I am thinking of switching out my 2nd sub. I don't have room for a 2nd PB2000, so sealed it's going to be. Which would you recommend between the sb2000 and the BK model listed in the article?
Are you asking about using one of these sealed subs in combination with an existing PB2000? Mixing sealed and ported like that is usually advised against.

yep, mixing. What i have heard / read its fine mixing in general, but just means you end up with 1 sub below a certain level where the sealed drops off.

yep, mixing. What i have heard / read its fine mixing in general, but just means you end up with 1 sub below a certain level where the sealed drops off.
It's more complicated than that as once you get below the port tune frequency the sealed may have more output than the ported sub (my sealed sub has better bass extension than my ported sub for this reason). Sealed and ported sound a bit different too so if you prefer one type you'll be compromising on this.

The biggest concern though is I think their different phase responses making it harder to get them to work together without significant cancellation problems. This isn't something I've really looked into though.

I ran an sb 2000 with a pb 2000 for over a year and didn't have much issue. Since add a 2nd pb to go with the other and sold the sb but there wasnt that much difference.

Obviously to ported work better but it's not night and day.

Was using xt32 which probably helped

Do you have space for PB1000? I would assume that would be less problematic to get working together than to add SB2000 with your PB2000 and i´m fairly sure SVS would agree on this.

First the PB1000 would be closer output wise to PB2000 than SB2000 at the 16-36hz range where the PB1000 outperforms SB2000 and from there upwards they are basically matching. Also both the PB1000 and PB2000 have the same 24 dB/octave roll-off, where as SB2000 has 12 dB/octave roll off being sealed design, so clearly PB1000 would be more ideal if identical sub is not possible.

@andym81 XT32 won`t help with the issues mixing ported/sealed subwoofers. :( I have seen @Ed Mullen from SVS mentioning it somewhere. Andy you picked Umik-1 for REW yet?

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I have mixed for years and never had a problem, but with my room i am not running the subs anywhere near their potential which probably helps.

I like the fabric grille as opposed to the old hard ones that looked plastic or metal. The look seems generally more muted than before, which I like.

I could perhaps fit one of these in a corner somewhere...:)

I like the fabric grille as opposed to the old hard ones that looked plastic or metal. The look seems generally more muted than before, which I like.

I could perhaps fit one of these in a corner somewhere...:)
I didn’t like the look of them but after seeing them in the flesh, they are nice, makes it look like a smaller/neater sub v the original.

hmm might be able to fit in a PB1000.

Would mean dropping down from a 12" sealed to a 10" ported.

hmm might be able to fit in a PB1000.

But you own PB2000. And PB1000 will be closer match cause of the same ported design and performance (SB2000 is behind at 20-36hz)! Meaning no odd cancellations and phase issues. Clearly the PB2000 is more capable than PB1000, but i believe they would still work better together than SB2000. Kinda lesser evil from the two.

If in doubt send email and address it to Ed Mullen.
[email protected]

Note that the port actively contributes to the sound radiated from the sub, so whilst just looking at driver size it looks like a step down, the real comparison is to the sum of the driver plus the port.

@Steve Withers I’m looking at getting a pair of SVS SB 2000 Pro’s or a pair of REL HT 1205’s. This will be for combo home theater / music set up, however, I want to get the subs that would be best for music (home theater is not as important as music for me). My musical tastes are fairly broad from classic rock (Pink Floyd, Eagles, Fleetwood Mac), electronic pop (Depeche Mode, Pet Shop Boys, Gary Numan), soft pop/rock (Steeley Dan, Simple Minds, ELO, Doobie Brothers), chill out ambient like b-Tribe, and some EDM like Paul Oakenfold. Some classical, not much jazz. Thanks!

@Steve Withers I’m looking at getting a pair of SVS SB 2000 Pro’s or a pair of REL HT 1205’s. This will be for combo home theater / music set up, however, I want to get the subs that would be best for music (home theater is not as important as music for me). My musical tastes are fairly broad from classic rock (Pink Floyd, Eagles, Fleetwood Mac), electronic pop (Depeche Mode, Pet Shop Boys, Gary Numan), soft pop/rock (Steeley Dan, Simple Minds, ELO, Doobie Brothers), chill out ambient like b-Tribe, and some EDM like Paul Oakenfold. Some classical, not much jazz. Thanks!
I'd go for the SB2000 Pro because the HT1205 is primarily aimed at movies, but the SVS is perform brilliantly with movies and particularly music. The SB2000 also has more features, and the app alone is worth the price of admission. You put a pair of those in your room, and I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

If your really into music more than movies l would try a pair of Rel's T7I's work amazingly with music when connected via the high level input and are also really good with movies as you can connect the T serie subs with both high level and the low level inputs...the Rel HT Serie aint that great with music....l have owned both the 1205 and the 1508...they are too slow

Or you could mix and match the HT1205 with a T7I....like l did with the 1508 and a T7I best of both worlds

I'd go for the SB2000 Pro because the HT1205 is primarily aimed at movies, but the SVS is perform brilliantly with movies and particularly music. The SB2000 also has more features, and the app alone is worth the price of admission. You put a pair of those in your room, and I guarantee you won't be disappointed.
Thanks!

If your really into music more than movies l would try a pair of Rel's T7I's work amazingly with music when connected via the high level input and are also really good with movies as you can connect the T serie subs with both high level and the low level inputs...the Rel HT Serie aint that great with music....l have owned both the 1205 and the 1508...they are too slow

Or you could mix and match the HT1205 with a T7I....like l did with the 1508 and a T7I best of both worlds

Thanks, I was thinking of that sub or T9i as well. I will be getting an Anthem MRX 720 receiver, and I’ve heard that I’d probably want to connect the sub via the LFE RCA connection. I’m guessing Anthem’s ARC room correction may only work with that connection. I also like to occasionally listen to music in the surround modes (DTS-X or Anthem Logic), that may also require the LFE connection. Having said that, I’m sure connecting the T7i/T9i via LFE would be fine.

I see that the T7i goes down to 30hz vs 19hz (SVS is -3 dbs vs -6 for the REL, which means the SVS is even deeper, correct?). I doubt I’d notice a big difference in most of my music, but I know there would be some info I’d miss in movies. The larger T9i goes a bit lower at 28hz. I could do a single S/812, which are supposed to be great, but it sounds like most folks would say go for a pair of T9i’s versus a single S/812. I was also thinking about the Rythmik F12SE’s. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Thanks, I was thinking of that sub or T9i as well. I will be getting an Anthem MRX 720 receiver, and I’ve heard that I’d probably want to connect the sub via the LFE RCA connection. I’m guessing Anthem’s ARC room correction may only work with that connection. I also like to occasionally listen to music in the surround modes (DTS-X or Anthem Logic), that may also require the LFE connection. Having said that, I’m sure connecting the T7i/T9i via LFE would be fine.

I see that the T7i goes down to 30hz vs 19hz (SVS is -3 dbs vs -6 for the REL, which means the SVS is even deeper, correct?). I doubt I’d notice a big difference in most of my music, but I know there would be some info I’d miss in movies. The larger T9i goes a bit lower at 28hz. I could do a single S/812, which are supposed to be great, but it sounds like most folks would say go for a pair of T9i’s versus a single S/812. I was also thinking about the Rythmik F12SE’s. Any thoughts?
T9I x 2 would be even better Rel recommends connecting their T/S serie subs to both high and low level inputs...and also are available to connect wirelessly via the arrow system,their aint a lot of love for Rel subs on here why l dont know but if you like too keep yer subs on full show they are worth the extra dosh

I would leave your connection as LFE. If you had a separate stereo amp then that's where the high level connection would be of value. The T Serie is a very good sub for music, it's quick and precise even with the LFE connection and underpins music beautifully when listening to 5.1 SACD or DVD video concerts. If listening to stereo on the Anthem then the LFE connection is the best because of ARC which would have EQ'd the sub.

I would leave your connection as LFE. If you had a separate stereo amp then that's where the high level connection would be of value. The T Serie is a very good sub for music, it's quick and precise even with the LFE connection and underpins music beautifully when listening to 5.1 SACD or DVD video concerts. If listening to stereo on the Anthem then the LFE connection is the best because of ARC which would have EQ'd the sub.
Thanks for the confirmation on the LFE connection when hooking up to an AVR.

Will be getting mine soon, could someone give me guidance how to set this up I’m a bit confused how it works if the avr is doing the measurements.
how you do any alterations if your avr has set the volume do you just override the results from the your receiver if base isn’t not loud enough.

Will be getting mine soon, could someone give me guidance how to set this up I’m a bit confused how it works if the avr is doing the measurements.
how you do any alterations if your avr has set the volume do you just override the results from the your receiver if base isn’t not loud enough.

It's not really any different to any other Sub that you may have used. Leave all the filters and stuff off and let the Anthem do it's EQ. Check the results afterwards like you would do normally and adjust as necessary. The added bonus is you have the built in PEQ's if you need them.

I just let my Nad - Dirac do it on my new duals (with everything off on each sub) and they sound fantastic.

It's not really any different to any other Sub that you may have used. Leave all the filters and stuff off and let the Anthem do it's EQ. Check the results afterwards like you would do normally and adjust as necessary. The added bonus is you have the built in PEQ's if you need them.
So can I use for example movie in the sb pro Without that affecting the results from the Anthem, I’m new to all this as you can guess. At the moment I have a Bk xls 400 with a antimode which I hope to sell. I will hopefully just use the app for setting up and not use my Antimode in the system.

So can I use for example movie in the sb pro Without that affecting the results from the Anthem, I’m new to all this as you can guess. At the moment I have a Bk xls 400 with a antimode which I hope to sell. I will hopefully just use the app for setting up and not use my Antimode in the system.

When you're all EQ'd and set up, you can store the settings in the 'Movie' button in the App. It's not something that you press for Movie watching as it's more of a default, you store your own settings in it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom