SVS SB-1000 vs Velodyne DB-10 or DB-12

Genesius

Novice Member
Hi all,

I’m looking for a new subwoofer (or 2) for my living room.
I can have any of the 3 listed for around the same money

Does anyone have any views or opinions on any of these. What would you have?

I’ve been slowly upgrading my system from:
Gale centre speaker
Mission m70 fronts
Mission m70 rears
Paradigm 10 inch sub.

It was all battered and old.

Now I have
Artison portrait LCR fronts
Gallo Micro SE for rears

And now I definitely need a sub.

Any advice welcome.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Is your use mostly movies/series (action/scifi/horror type)? Then it would make less sense to look those overpriced Velodynes. You can get product for 700£ that gives you much better performance and sounds every bit as good as the 1300£ costing DB12. Also if you can spend that much and fit the DB12 why not look SB3000 from SVS?

SB1000 Pro costs 639£/739£ where as Arendal 1961 1S costs 719£ and is equal to SB2000 Pro at 899£, however there is one refurb unit at 809£. Members haven´t found any noticeable marks in these "grade-m".

Here is the Arendal which offers best bang for buck below 1k£ for a powerfull sealed sub.

Genesius

Novice Member
Hi. Thanks for your feedback.
I can get SVS and the Velodynes for around the same price. So I’ll look at the Arendal but it’s a bit more than I wanted to spend.

So are the velodynes a better product than the SVS but you think they are over priced or would you still choose the SVS?

I’d like to have as small of a sub as possible and was attracted to the SB1000 and the DB10. Just for space reasons. It’s our living room.

AmericanAudio

AVForums Sponsor
So the retail on the DeepBlue range is significantly more than the SB1000-Pro.

We actually back to backed the SVS SB1000 and 2000 Pro and the DeepBlue 10's and 12's when they were launched and I have to say the DB's were better. There certainly wasn't much in it, but certainly for music use the Velodyne was more musical and tighter in its playback.

The flip side is it didnt dig quite a deep and you loose the app, but again it was marginal.

So, if its for a music weighted system and you can afford the additional retail cost, go Velodyne. If you want / need the flexibility of the app and its a movie biased system the SVS will marginally win out.

Both are great subs, both will but a smile on your face and i wouldnt worry about the what ifs. There wont be any with either of them.

SVS deals are around if you ask, we have some open box BF deals, and we can be friendly on Velodyne too.

Oh and the MicroVee has just been launched too!!!

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Hi. Thanks for your feedback.
I can get SVS and the Velodynes for around the same price. So I’ll look at the Arendal but it’s a bit more than I wanted to spend.

So are the velodynes a better product than the SVS but you think they are over priced or would you still choose the SVS?

I’d like to have as small of a sub as possible and was attracted to the SB1000 and the DB10. Just for space reasons. It’s our living room.

If it needs to be small as possible then SB1000 Pro is very hard to beat as you also get further discount from forum advertisers (American Audio UK). DB10 at same price doesn´t give you same performance with the 10" driver, phone app control, support/service is still one of the best with SVS with daily chat/emails that gets responded fast and also 5year warranty same as with Arendal. I see Velodyne only gives 2 year warranty for this new range, that is not competetive enough for such high cost product. The specs are similar to REL hifi ranges, quite underwhelming and the finish/look is cheap. Look the speaker level inputs on the amp, those push press terminals from 90s. They couldn`t spend few £ more to put something better like SVS has done?!

Arendal costs 719£ and the DB-12 price is 1295£. Even with discounts i can´t see you getting it at 1k£ so not sure why you said Arendal is too expensive, you listed DB12 as option so you should have higher budget. Size wise Arendal is few cm taller and deeper, but narrower (31,5cm) with side firing driver. SVS SB1000 Pro wins size wise, but performance wise it is not on par.

This guy has been testing many subwoofers and wasn`t that happy what he heard and saw when he looked inside etc, cheap lively cabinet and many product he compares this DB-12 on the video clip this Velo just can´t keep up with them in build quality or sound quality. For me this isn´t suprise as i have seen in the past these cheap Velodyne/Paradigms doing poor job in this price class. They should stick with the high cost ranges where they excell or they need to lower the prices of this DB range big time. SVS, Arendal, REL offer better products at the +/- 1k£ region. JL Audio has D110 cheaper than DB-12 and new models coming from them early next year. Another premium brand which makes compact sized woofers.

Genesius

Novice Member
The reason that the SVS is the same cost as Velodyne is because one of my suppliers for my business sell Velodyne subs. I have installed lots of audio before but I don’t design it and I dont tune it once it’s installed so now it’s for my own home I wanted some opinions. I could ask the people who design for us but they would choose from the manufacturers they use (instead of the whole of the market) and what they would choose would probably be wildly expensive. I don’t as yet have a supplier for SVS so for that I would have to look at retail but for Velodyne I can get trade.

Arendal looks good, it’s a bit odd looking and my placement is at the rear corners so not ideal. I’m not sure how that side firing speaker will do tucked into a corner.

Also, this is mainly for tv, movies etc.

So forget how much they cost.

Let’s say £500-£600 for whatever brand or I can save money and get the standard SB1000 even cheaper.
Or get a Velodyne. (Don’t like the look of the REL subs) I have also looked at B&W

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
The driver needs 5-10cm clearance, but otherwise it will work great in corner as most manufacturers actually recommends that placement, especially if you have some form of eq for sub with av-receiver (Denon/Marantz with Audussey example). You mentioned that dual is possible, would that mean one at each rear corners?

I wouldn´t get the standard SB1000 as the Pro has completely new design with new amp and driver, surely worth the extra! AVForum members used to get -10% discount for SVS products, but they raised the prices in US few weeks ago so this is new situation, but you do get something and the open boxes are always cheaper.

I don`t think there is much options at 500-600£ if it needs to be small. BK Electronics for sure, but their sealed/PR models are bit larger than SVS. Made in UK and direct to customer business model so lower pricing. But older technology and shorter warranty compared to SVS. Fine choice still!

Velo DB-10 vs. SB1000 Pro, the latter just offers you so much more. Did you read these already?

Genesius

Novice Member
With regards to dual subs, All the cabling is installed for 2 but I’d start with one in the corner because the other one would be to the other side of the sofa but not in the corner of the room. Yeah I know how good the SVS is. That may be the option I go for. You’ve given me a few to think about. Thank you. I just wanted to know if I can get the velos for around £600 does that make them the better option and from the sound of it, you don’t think so. If money wasn’t a consideration I think your saying you would have the SB1000 over any of the DB range.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
With regards to dual subs, All the cabling is installed for 2 but I’d start with one in the corner because the other one would be to the other side of the sofa but not in the corner of the room. Yeah I know how good the SVS is. That may be the option I go for. You’ve given me a few to think about. Thank you. I just wanted to know if I can get the velos for around £600 does that make them the better option and from the sound of it, you don’t think so. If money wasn’t a consideration I think your saying you would have the SB1000 over any of the DB range.

With the limited information we have there is nothing special in those DBs for movie use which you described the sub(s) would be purchased for. American Audio said it sounds bit better with music, but for movies it falls bit sort. I`m just looking the 10-12" models in that range which you listed.

DB-10 is 995£ RRP so i assume you would get this for 600£? As the DB-12 jumps to 1300£ so there is no way you would get it that cheap. I just don`t see why one would pick DB-10 over SB1000 Pro if movies are priority. Spec wise even the 12" model is still bit off and horribly overpriced in UK, no app control, shorter warranty, finish is from 500£ sub while costing over 1k£. Of course if one wants to buy Velodyne for the name as many people do with REL and other fancy brands then by all means. :) Velodyne is well known from the DD+ range which are no doubt superb, but these low cost models just doesn`t have anything special going on for them over the usual market leaders, at least for HT use in mind. Arendal is king at 719£, shame the driver orientation doesn`t work out.

Genesius

Novice Member
Forget the retail price. You don’t know what trade pricing I have or my level of discount. But yes, I can get either of the 2 Velodyne subs I mentioned for less than the SVS.
So that makes the SVS more expensive. But I think that’s the way I’ll go. I think the app will be fantastic for setup and I can’t get away from the finish. Looks better than the Velodyne. If I had more space I would get the Arendal but I have to try and hide it away if I can.l

Thank you for all your input. I did look at the BK’s but they are a bit big and I prefer the look of the SVS.

Member 887807

Novice Member
If it needs to be small as possible then SB1000 Pro is very hard to beat as you also get further discount from forum advertisers (American Audio UK). DB10 at same price doesn´t give you same performance with the 10" driver, phone app control, support/service is still one of the best with SVS with daily chat/emails that gets responded fast and also 5year warranty same as with Arendal. I see Velodyne only gives 2 year warranty for this new range, that is not competetive enough for such high cost product. The specs are similar to REL hifi ranges, quite underwhelming and the finish/look is cheap. Look the speaker level inputs on the amp, those push press terminals from 90s. They couldn`t spend few £ more to put something better like SVS has done?!

Arendal costs 719£ and the DB-12 price is 1295£. Even with discounts i can´t see you getting it at 1k£ so not sure why you said Arendal is too expensive, you listed DB12 as option so you should have higher budget. Size wise Arendal is few cm taller and deeper, but narrower (31,5cm) with side firing driver. SVS SB1000 Pro wins size wise, but performance wise it is not on par.

This guy has been testing many subwoofers and wasn`t that happy what he heard and saw when he looked inside etc, cheap lively cabinet and many product he compares this DB-12 on the video clip this Velo just can´t keep up with them in build quality or sound quality. For me this isn´t suprise as i have seen in the past these cheap Velodyne/Paradigms doing poor job in this price class. They should stick with the high cost ranges where they excell or they need to lower the prices of this DB range big time. SVS, Arendal, REL offer better products at the +/- 1k£ region. JL Audio has D110 cheaper than DB-12 and new models coming from them early next year. Another premium brand which makes compact sized woofers.

This review is an outlier, No other review has criticised or been anywhere near, so cutting about the Velodyne DB range.

So much so, that WhatHiFi Australia (Sound+Image) gave DB-12 product of the year.

If you would like a 'peek behind the curtain' so to speak.

The reviewer in question was urked about the finish of the Velodyne and its lack of app support. and decided to take no notice to the fact that all the cost went into the very high quality componants in the product.

Throw into the mix the subwoofer was supposed to be sent to a second reviewer in the states right after this review but the shipping cost was so so much that it was cheaper to leave the subwoofer with the reviewer than to bring it back to the UK, or to then ship it on to the other reviewer. This reviewer decided to take this as an insult or that he was being paid for a good review.

This was not the case and he was told that...

The end result is what you see in this video.

Having heard the DB along side SVS models in question and alongside the competing REL's and also taking on board countless reports from stores and dealers who have heard them side by side too. I can safely say the DB is a superb subwoofer for music and movies and either matches or beats any of the above products with ease.

Just not for finish. But then again, it is an audio product.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I can safely say the DB is a superb subwoofer for music and movies and either matches or beats any of the above products with ease.

For movies it won´t match or beat competitors. Come on look the price, size, specs and ugly finish and those cheap plastic push press connectors. There is much better options available in this price range or cheaper with much nicer finish. All eyes are on the new upcoming Velodyne DD+ range.

AmericanAudio

AVForums Sponsor
Having done actual back to back tests with the DB12 and an SB2000-Pro i would say the DB is the more musical sub, not quite as deep but fast, more responsive than the SB.

Either are impressive but these are maginal differences.

So if asked, i would ask what the use case is, if more musical, i'd errr towards the DB and swing to movies the SB. All depending on budget of course.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Having done actual back to back tests with the DB12 and an SB2000-Pro i would say the DB is the more musical sub, not quite as deep but fast, more responsive than the SB.

Either are impressive but these are maginal differences.

So if asked, i would ask what the use case is, if more musical, i'd errr towards the DB and swing to movies the SB. All depending on budget of course.
Premium brand has premium pricing. It´s shame cause we have Arendal at 799£ which is going to beat it without question performance wise on movies and sound quality wise it was picked best in group test (2ch music) so it`s safe to assume it´s going to be at least similar level if not better knowing from feedback also. Of course direct to customer pricing is always going to win vs. through dealer... You also get better warranty with Arendal/SVS over Velodyne.

JL D110 would come 100£ cheaper in gloss black, another premium brand that is known to pack serious performance for the compact size, superb finish and sq wise again at same level or ahead judging from real life comparisons. For SVS SB2000 Pro one likely gets 80-100£ off looking Richer Sounds deals for members, so 900£ vs. 1300£ if Velo pricing is tight. Another option could be two gloss black/white SB1000 Pro`s for music/movies eq`d i bet they would sound really good while also looking much better with even smaller size cabs (WAF win). Finally for same price we could throw SB3000 in to mix in gloss black, little discount should put it at same price. I think we all know which would come ahead quite easily.

If only considering the Deep Blue range with flexible budget the DB15 looks most intresting. It`s very compact sized with 15" driver and price jump +200£ only from the 12". Purely performance wise i think SB3000 would still give it very hard time with better extension as we know SB3000 has the performance of 15" models in the 40-80hz region at least.

Member 887807

Novice Member
For movies it won´t match or beat competitors. Come on look the price, size, specs and ugly finish and those cheap plastic push press connectors. There is much better options available in this price range or cheaper with much nicer finish. All eyes are on the new upcoming Velodyne DD+ range.
You are still mentioning the outside of the sub, that is your perogative and is obviously fine. A variety of varied opinions is important. It is unfortunate though, as the outside has no baring on what the DB does with audio, on the inside.

But, when one opinion (Like the review you stated) is so wildly out of touch with the others and after I have shed light on what happened with this particular reviewer, his review and delivery come accross as just odd. It was way out of balance in comparison to every other piece of information available online.

Also, I am not saying the DB is perfect, there is no such thing as a perfect product, one thing that is right for you may not be right for another. And If you have to buy via recommendation, listening to as many things as possible to help with the purchase is always the best way to go, im sure we can all agree on that :)

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom