SVS SB-1000 constant rumbling noise - normal?

Mark Kristensen

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

First of all, thank you for taking the time to read this.

I recently sent a newly purchased SVS SB-1000 back for a new one as it were making a noticeable deep rumbling sound. The sound was constant and could be affected by turning the crossover frequency dial, however, the noise at its most noticeable level when the crossover were set to the appropriate setting (LFE). However, the retailer I bought it from just called me and said that this were completely normal with the SB-1000 and that a new one would very likely make the same noise.

Now, the sound were originating from the driver itself and sounded just like if it were playing a deep frequency in a movie. I could even feel it if I carefully placed a finger on the driver. Albeit low it was definitely noticeable and was very apparent during movies as well.

The subwoofer made the sound when only plugged in to the power outlet.
I tried connecting it to a power outlet in a different room to avoid electrical disturbance and it still made the sound.

Now, my question is - is it really normal??
I simply can not believe that this would be a sound that every SVS subwoofer emits especially with the amount of favorable reviews that their products get.

Shouldn't a subwoofer be completely silent when not connected to anything other than the electrical outlet?

Thank you!

Subwoofers can make some noise while in an idle state, but never anything more than a slight, muffled hiss, which is noise being produced by the electronics - not unknown with subwoofers in general. But I would say that if you could feel the driver moving, then there was a problem with that unit, as it shouldn't do that at all.

Does it sound like mains hum?

Does it sound like the wind howling?

It did not sound like mains hum or the wind howling, it sounded more like a distant thunder.

A few days ago I received my replacement SB-1000, which had the exact same problem as the previous one. However, the problem seemed to be more audible during movies on the new one. Like it couldn't keep a clean tone of bass or something. Even in scenes with just a hint of ambience the tone coming from the subwoofer would fluctuate and draw a lot of attention to itself.

Since then I got a fantastic deal on the bigger SB-2000, which I ended up buying. This unit did not have this problem and is completely silent when in idle and in use, which leads to my conclusion that the store must have had a bad shipment of the SB-1000 - I don't know what else it could be.

My apologies to those of you who might stumble upon this thread in the hopes of a solution to a similar problem with your SB-1000. You might consider spending just a bit more and getting the SB-2000, it really is worth it.

It did not sound like mains hum or the wind howling, it sounded more like a distant thunder.

A few days ago I received my replacement SB-1000, which had the exact same problem as the previous one. However, the problem seemed to be more audible during movies on the new one. Like it couldn't keep a clean tone of bass or something. Even in scenes with just a hint of ambience the tone coming from the subwoofer would fluctuate and draw a lot of attention to itself.

Since then I got a fantastic deal on the bigger SB-2000, which I ended up buying. This unit did not have this problem and is completely silent when in idle and in use, which leads to my conclusion that the store must have had a bad shipment of the SB-1000 - I don't know what else it could be.

My apologies to those of you who might stumble upon this thread in the hopes of a solution to a similar problem with your SB-1000. You might consider spending just a bit more and getting the SB-2000, it really is worth it.
I had a similar problem on my sb 2000. Sounded like it was raining outside. Had it replaced within a week and no problem with this one

Hi
I am hearing loud noise after watching for 5 to 10 mins.
No noise if I disconnect from Denon av receiver and leave it connected to power outlet only.

Is it due to cable or av receiver?

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom