svs-sb-01 with Onkyo 605 or Quad L-ite with Onkyo 705?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by tommyb1, Jan 16, 2008.

1. tommyb1

tommyb1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Right,

I think my mind is made up - well, sort of!

Do I go for the excellent SVS-SB-01 and pair them with the Onkyo 605?

Or,

Do I go for the excellent deal on the Quad L-ites and upgrade to the Onkyo 705?

I know it's down to personal preference somewhat and listening - but I live in the Isle of Man and so demo's are out of the question really - although I will be in Manchester at the end of Feb - should I go to Sevenoaks? they seem to be very popular on here.

Let me Know what you think, all opinions greatly received.

Cheers guys and gals. :thumbsup:

2. Andori

Andori

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    SVS with 705 :devil:

3. tommyb1

tommyb1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for that! lol

Seriously though guys - is better to have a slightly better amp than apeakers or visa versa?

I'm pretty much set on my above options - opinions please? anyone?

Was even thinking I could stretch to 805 + Quad Lites

Please help

4. DolbyDan

DolbyDan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    All day long: 805 + Quad Lites

5. Cynar

Cynar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    Is music a priority as well as movies etc. If so, I reckon the Quad's would be better.

6. Andori

Andori

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    The audio on the 805 should be better due to better audio circuitry, so maybe a worthwhile upgrade.

7. RamonD

RamonD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    It also depend on you budget. I had a 2k max budget for surround sound. I am a complete noob to the av world, but learning quick, thanks to all the cool peope on here.

Any way, for just under 2k what did I get? I went with onkyo 875 for the reon scaling abilities for standard deff so that sd sources will look presentable on 1080p projector. If you do not have a 1080p display, I beleive the 805 upscales to 720p and the 605 and 705 will upconvert to HDMI with no scaling.

I was in the same dilemmas as you, started with the 605, 705, 805 and even considered a 905 at one point but in the end went for the 875 as it ticked all my boxes, listened to it a AV sales and was convinced. I also went for the SVS 5.0 and they are big, much bigger than what the looked at av sales the centre was in a cabinet and that is one mutha of a speaker. Build quality is solid. I also went for the 20-39 pc plus got a all the cables including a 5m HDMI cable all from AV Sales, top service by the way, cant recomend them highly enough, very patient especially with noob like me.

Anyway they are all sat in the boxes since monday as I have loads of DIY to do before I can be in a position to set it all up. Try and go to av sales for a listen if you can, ultimatly its all about how different components act with each other and I am sure Andori will confirm that the SVS and Onkyos are like a match made in AV Heaven.

Regards,

Ramon

8. tommyb1

tommyb1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Cheers RamonD,

That's some great advice.

Would you - or anyone else know - If I was to get a sony PS3, which I have planned for the end of the year, is there any point in getting the Onkyo 875 - should I just get the 805?

I've read that a few times about the svs being great speakers but bigger than they look! I'm not sure whether they're £250 better than the Quad L-ites though, again - if anyone has an opinion - please feel free to express.

I'm going to be using the system for both movies and music.

9. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,092
    In reality the svs package is cheaper than the Quad L-ites package, its just that at the moment the Quads are being discontinued and are being offered at an amazingly low price to shift the last available units.

The Quad setup is extremley good value at the moment and looks very nice too(especially in gloss black)although availability has been sparse lately.

Both systems offer excellent value for money and whichever system you go for you will not be disapointed.The Quads look the nicest but the SVS pack the most punch especially in the home cinema department due to the better sub(whichever sub in the range you use).:thumbsup:

10. Member 96948

Member 96948
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
    If picking from the same range, I'd always go with the option that gives me the better amp. It doesn't matter how good the speakers are if they're being driven by something barely able.

Given that, in this instance the L-ites are artificially cheap allowing you to get the better amp, I'd say it was a no brainer.

Russell

11. RamonD

RamonD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Tommy,

I have a ps3 and for the price its amazing as a blue ray player and competant upscaler of sd dvd and plays games on top , so why did I go for the 875? Basically I dont do much watching tv, my spare time is usaully split between gaming and movies. I do watch the occasional bit of tv, I have two receptions in my house one will be a dedicated home cinema room with my PJ the other for tv watching on my panny plasma.

For the rare tv I want to watch its normally match of the day and heroes, but I would like the ability to watch tv on my 100 in projection scren, especially live football and may get a wii cos it looks like fun for the PJ room and to have them all upscaled to 1080p was the reason I chose the 875. I have not heard the quad lites, but from the feedback from more respected experienced members of the forums seems to be that they are good, so doubt you can go wrong, but were the SVS has advantage is in the sub woofer department, they dont call themselves the bass authority for nothing!!