SVS SB-01 5.0 Amateur review.

It won't be overkill mate, trust me :)

It's a nice combo, which works fine either loud or quiet, even though I criticise the lower volume quality with music.

I'm just being fussy :)

They'll work beautifully in a small room, no problem :smashin:

I can't comment on the cables, as I'd be happy with some old rope firing them :D

IE, I don't subscribe to the cable thing :)

Oh sorry, I didn't answer the sub question.

There are loads on here who will help you, no worries :smashin:

I can't comment on the cables, as I'd be happy with some old rope firing them :D

IE, I don't subscribe to the cable thing
:)

I also think that cable is somewhat overhyped but I think it may be a good idea to get the right size, considering the power of the amp and ohm rating of the speaker.

To all those who have just joined this prestigous club:D welcome and well done:smashin:you will not be dissapointed:)

@ steve
I hope I have not caused an influx of forum member phone calls requesting Demo's:eek: Good for the Stella count but not for the Gaffer:D
Seriously though, that is what you get for being very helpful, cheers matey.

we could even start an SVS home Cinema club travelling up and down the country, watching films and drinking beer:devil: absolute heaven IMO:cool:

or if you wanted to listen to a real surround system you could come to mine and watch a film with my MA's?

:D :D :D :D :D

I'm also a happy SBS-01 owner for about a little more then a year now. I don't have any complaints with this system. Although I'dd like to have a EQ system to improve the bass resonation in my room, witch I will buy later, I'm happy for now and certainly with the HD70 you garenteed for pure entertainment and rollercoaster movie expirience.

btw, does anyone by chance have heard anything new from the new SVS audyssey EQ? If it's good and not too expensive I might but that instead of a complicated BFD.

or if you wanted to listen to a real surround system you could come to mine and watch a film with my MA's?

:D :D :D :D :D

gah cant believe i didnt even get a bite :(:confused:

Sos, had to change delivery date for tomorrow as work nneded me to do some errr... work.

Anyway, cant wait and will post as soon as I've got it all set up. I'm just a tad concerned that this setup will take ages to get to an acceptable listening level. Also, the sub cable is a thick cable and its got to go along the floor, over the door frame and somehow over to the middle of the room. I ordered a 5m one, but my room is only 5m long anyway and the sub is going halfway. Have I done the overkill with the cable length? Is a longer cable detrimental to the sound quality? Damn.

Sos, had to change delivery date for tomorrow as work nneded me to do some errr... work.

Anyway, cant wait and will post as soon as I've got it all set up. I'm just a tad concerned that this setup will take ages to get to an acceptable listening level. Also, the sub cable is a thick cable and its got to go along the floor, over the door frame and somehow over to the middle of the room. I ordered a 5m one, but my room is only 5m long anyway and the sub is going halfway. Have I done the overkill with the cable length? Is a longer cable detrimental to the sound quality? Damn.

Why?

Dr Force is just being careful.
Thrash the guts out of it mate, straight from the off, no problem :D

I don't think the sub cable will be a problem :)

OK Steve

Waiting patiently fella:smashin:

Why are you taking your sub phono cable up and over the door???

I have fed mine (neatly) under the carpet and then when it came to the door you should find enough room to tuck the phono cable next to, or just underneath the gripper rod that holds the carpet down.Once in position just carefully place the carpet back;)

This should give you a bit more slack to put the sub back against the wall when not listening to movies and out when you do:)

At that length (5m) I think you will hear no sound degradation.

You say your sub is going halfway, but you may find it needs moving a little to improve the sound

You would be more advised to listen to the experience of Badger0-0 when asking about specific run-in periods and I would agree that you can give em some grunt, just dont be silly:thumbsup:

And I am being cautious because I am not as experienced as many:thumbsup:

Now c'mon get your review on here matey:devil:

one year on are you chaps still happy with your purchase?

This is top of my shortlist at the moment (5.0 powerbuy for £400).

Is there a previous post that shows these off in a home install? Would appreciate an idea of how big they are?

Thanks Matt

At £400, damn right I'm still happy :smashin:

I've heard much more expensive speakers than these and they just don't do it for me (B&W 602 S3 is one that springs to mind).
There is just absolutely nothing to touch them for the money, IMO, as long as you can put up with the looks/size.

You can get better clarity for a grand (5.0), but I still haven't found the urge to upgrade at that price.

Put it this way, I'm waiting to hear the new SVS MTS, at probably around 4-5 times the price.

4-5 times the price :eek: That has answered my next question "I read there are some new models coming out..."

How much of the sound and impact do you think comes from the sub?

I'll be looking to keep my old sub to save money. I'm not sure if I should go completely separate and get 2 big speakers for the front and then match in a centre and two satellites around them.

Another problem is that my bed is right against the back wall so not sure how the rear speakers will handle being so close to my head. Sony many decisions, at least I've restricted my amp choice to 3...

How much of the sound and impact do you think comes from the sub?

If you like bass, it's a massive amount and there is no way of getting away from it, purely because the SVS subs are so good.

You should be aware that the SBS are designed to run with a sub.
And the better it is, the better they sound, IMO.

You can go up the range a bit and look at the SCS speakers.
They're nowhere near the jump in price, but will have that bit more uumph about them.

I'm feeding my SBS upto 140W a channel, so robustness is not a problem, they are bombproof in that sense :smashin:

As for on the back wall, no problem.
Just stick them high up on the side walls and angle them down.
It just needs proper speaker balancing to do the trick :smashin:

I'm not sure if I should go completely separate and get 2 big speakers for the front and then match in a centre and two satellites around them.

This may work very well, although ideally the centre should match the fronts from the off, IMO. Some people say you can have a different front, but I'd always go for the same make/range myself.

Choices, choices eh?

You will not be disappointed with the SBS for the money, I can absolutely assure you ;)

Is there a previous post that shows these off in a home install? Would appreciate an idea of how big they are?

Thanks Matt

I cannot see myself changing these speakers for many years. For the size of my room they are perfect and produce a fantastic sound for the money.

Anyone still wondering if they are suitable, stop it , because they do not dissapoint:smashin:

Thanks Matt

Still very pleased with them after over a year with them. Here they are with my 50" plasma:

svs_1.jpg

Still very pleased with them after over a year with them. Here they are with my 50" plasma:

svs_1.jpg

Nice set up D:smashin:

Alot of people think that because they are big that the wife will not live with them. Personally me and the good lady quite like the look of them, it is only the large centre speaker that can cause problems, but positioned correctly in the right stand (like yours) and it does not have to be a huge wooden cabinet stuck infront of the screen.

Anyway i'll always go sound first and looks second:thumbsup:

Thanks for your comments. I spent a long time looking for a suitable stand. When I found the one I wanted, I checked the dimensions for the centre speaker and it was a perfect fit, I couldn't believe my luck!

My wife and I quite like the look of the speakers and they do match the rest of the black A/V gear - except the silver Humax HD satellite receiver which hopefully will be rectified with their new Freesat PVR.

How do you find the sound D??

How would you rate the sound of a film compared to the sound of Music??

Personally I feel they are just great all rounders with the ability to hold at high levels.

How do you find the sound D??

How would you rate the sound of a film compared to the sound of Music??

Personally I feel they are just great all rounders with the ability to hold at high levels.

I don't normally listen to music through them - unless it is a music DVD. I find the audio from films very full and immersive. The speakers can certainly go louder than I dare have them, and that's in a detached house!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom