1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SVS, Rel, MJ, Quad, Velodyne, £700 spend

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by gavp, Feb 8, 2005.

1. gavp

gavp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Howdy fellow forummers, :smashin:

Have a max of £700, will spend if necessary, less if possible. Want a sub mainly for music, meaning it enhances the whole listening experience, but also a sub that when called upon for movies gives a a trouser flapping performance... :D
    Narrowed down to:
    SVS 16-46PCi
    Rel Stampede or Strata
    MJ Ref 200
    Quad L
    Velodyne CHT-12 or SPL-800 Series II
    or 2 x BK XLS200!

I have a seperate stereo amp and AV amp, I know that Rel, MJ, Quad and BK will allow for simultaneous high and low level connection, so for stereo would connect to speakers, AV directly to sub out.
    Can the Velodyne and SVS be connected in this manner or are these american beasts really primarily home cinema subs?
    Interested to know which is the most musical whilst offering an equally good cinematic experience when called upon :rolleyes:

2. Diamond

Diamond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You should change the SV to 25-31PCi, or 20-39PCi model. They are better for music, and still go low. 25 means tuning point in Hz and 31 is height in inches. Also PB12-ISD is a good option, if you prefer a box.

Btw, Rel, MJ, SPL etc. compete in another class, the "subsat" class. They're smaller, good with music but rather weak for movies. No personal exp though..

3. gavp

gavp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Diamond, how is your SVS connected and how would you rate it with music an movies out of 10 say?

4. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    I agree. The 16-46PCi goes lower than you really need even for classical organ. The 20-39 is perfectly adequate and goes almost as low but is a bit louder on peaks. You'll save some money, 7" on height and get more of an allrounder. Did I really say "allrounder"? :blush:

Your budget might just stretch to the 20-39 PC Plus. Ian will advise on door to door UK pricing. The Plus has a better driver. All powered SVS can be used simultaneously with high and low level connections except for the PB10-ISD.

The PB10-ISD can't be used with a standard stereo system. It needs an AV receiver to control upper roll-off point etc.

I'll leave the experts to discuss the other sub choices.

Nimby

5. gavp

gavp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Cheers Nimby, I wasn't aware you could connect simultaneously mmmm...
    from what I have read from you guys these SVS sound like dogs b******s for subs :D
    However, of the ones i've mentioned some have settings for music and movies and also a remote control, does the SVS have a seperate setting, I don't want to be up and down like a brides night-dress changing settings when switching between films and music, or is the fact I have seperate 2 channel and 5 channel going to scupper my SVS dream :confused:

6. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    I'd better change my user name to "Brides Nightdress" then.

I have two settings: "Proper" music is 9 o'clock on the Gain knob.
    Film is 12 o'clock. As is heavy rock music when I'm not at home.
    Mrs Nimby likes her bass I'm afraid.
    Other than that she's as good as gold.

The forum smilies are misbehaving! Is it just me?

Nimby

7. Diamond

Diamond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My first sub, you know. Can't really rate it, but in a small/medium room I bet you can't hear much or any difference between this and the bigger bulldogs from the kennel. :) H*LL OF A SUB!

You'll have to look at the other models though. If I were you, and under 20Hz didn't matter (it doesn't, it's just a bonus), it would be 25-31PCi. Nothing wrong with Plus, more power and even better driver, but heck.

Still, the box is also an option..
    Just remember to use an RS-meter and a BFD for calibrating it. You'll enjoy, I bet you will.

P.S. Good subs don't need lasers, blue leds or remotes to be enjoyable. Cheap ones do.

8. gavp

gavp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    very tempted by the SVS options, think I would go for the cylinder as i just like the design better (IMHO), my only concern is as mentioned is having to change settings, but then again Rel, MJ although apparently covering all the angles just seem so expensive when I can have 320 watts of power and a 12" Driver! , just seen on website they are upgradeable too, damn, will my laziness mean i'll miss out or is the this the start of a new active lifestyle for me...

9. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    I would recommend the Quad L Subwoofer and MJ Ref 200, heard them both, and they are cracking subwoofers.

If you go the SVS route, you should really realise how big they are first, follow this link: http://www.avforums.com/forums/article.php?a=122 Will show you how big a 20-39 PC Plus would be. My PC Ultra towers over the Quads.

The SVS PC Plus will be a better all round sub than the others mentioned here, but the others are all excellent too :)

The top three in my book would be:

SVS 20-39 PC Plus
    Quad L Subwoofer
    MJ Ref 200

10. Diamond

Diamond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First you should email SVS, and tell your budget, room size, fav music, sound levels etc. They'll help you decide, and be real about what you would just need. Very helpful customer service.

IF you don't play your music and movies at reference level (really loud), there aren't big differences between the models. I know that because other SV-owners have said that in HTF for example. On lower (100db) levels even the smallest of them does miracles for its price. The choice is more psychological, and about headroom as some might say. Some may recommed you Plus, I'd say 25-31PCi would still make you c*ap your pants.. :lesson: "a compact killer"

11. gavp

gavp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Cheers guys, very helpful so far.

Have contacted both MJ and SVS so am interested to read what they say as I have basically explained my current system and requirements, and have asked them to recommend one of their products :smoke:

Out of interest, at the upcoming Sound and Vision show, or any show in the past, are there deals to be had on the day with discounts if you order at their stands or is it more a showcase? :confused:

12. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    There are deals to be had with some manufacturers and in the past MJ Acoustics have been one of the companies that have offered a discount for orders taken at the show.

SVS won't be at the show as their products aren't for sale via retail channels and the show is organized by retailers.

13. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Not as crazy as you might think, I use 2 of these to very good effect even though I havn't finished setting them up properly yet.

I think you'd be better off going for a single one of the more substantial models in this case though. Unless you're happy to spend hours/days/months trying to get it just right. :)

14. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    I can't understand the problem. Bung one sub on top of the other. Or side by side to taste. Then you check the gain knobs match both subs' individual output on pink noise. Then set the gain on both subs the same to calibrate with the main speakers. Don't you? What am I missing? :D

Nimby

15. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I've got no problems at all and that's exactly what I've done. I mean that I havn't tweaked it to perfection with all of the bass management settings and my BFD which still isn't even connected inline.

The difference over just one isn't pronounced in the mid-bass (expected that anyway) but there's now buckets more power lower down the frequency range. I'm currently wrestling with TrueRTA and my SPL meter which aren't cooperating so will hopefully do my proper report soon. :)

16. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    We'll all look forward to hearing how you get on. :)

Nimby

17. gavp

gavp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Nimby and eviljohn2, as a relative newcomer to both Avforum and the hi fidelity/AV world, I'm just getting used to using my ears to discern between what is right/wrong pleasant or not in my set-up, now we have Behringer Feedback Destroyers and software to test out kit??? :eek:

How does the BFD work, is it plugged into sub then amp, is this its only application? Do i need a NASA Phd to work out how to use one? :D

18. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    The Behringer Feedback Destroyer (BFD) is a piece of professional audio equipment which us hifi enthusiasts have commandeered of late. It's designed to automatically filter out any frequencies causing feedback in a live audio environment, but one of the features that comes with this is that it can be used as a parametric equaliser. That is to say, we can add individual filters at certain frequencies which will boost/cut the signal by an amount over a range.

These are generally of most use for equalising subwoofers (placed between the AV amp subwoofer output and the subwoofer's low level input) to make the room response more flat. Low frequencies tend to be affected the most by the room as this is where the first order room modes are. It's by no means essential and can be a pain to set up so I wouldn't worry too much just yet.

This thread is heading a little off-topic with this but Nimby has a useful sticky explaining how to set a BFD up which might be good for you to read. :)

19. gavp

gavp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Cheers eviljohn2, I'm only asking as when I get my next sub its one I want to have for a couple of years, so as well as making sure I've chosen correctly, if there was a way of enhancing the enjoyment and prolonging upgraditus by using the BFD then i'm all for it. :thumbsup:
    I think at this stage I am gonna have a look down at The Bristol show to see if I can be wowed by a particular sub as well as seeing what deals can be offered and if nothing comes from this then I'll head down the SVS route as this seems to be a long term investment as well as being highly enjoyable, according to you lot anyway ;)

20. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    BFD could well be a good option, it might be worth waiting to find out what the final retail price of the new Velodyne SMS-1 will be. That basically does the same thing but automates everything, I expect it will also have less phase shift and a lower SNR if that's your thing.

Either way, I think your best option is to get the best sub you can afford. Tweak that to perfection and then consider a bit of equalisation if you're not already thrilled with it. These things make good christmas/birthday presents. :)

21. Diamond

Diamond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ordered BFD just last night. There is a new model coming which will be double for the price! It shouldn't be any better for its purpose as a sub tamer.

It may be a little difficult to use, but there should be plenty of bassheads to help with the tweaking. I'm not interested in equipment that costs 3-4 times more, this is a bargain.

It's here