Bargain Expired SVS PRIME ELEVATION OR Monitor Audio C380-FX

JL12W7

I have a dilemma. I need 6 Atmos speakers so I ahve gone along with 4 X KEF R8A front & rear heights then add two ceiling speakers to give me 7.2.6. I checked on Dolby web site and this situation works as far as they explain with pictorials. I had opted to not cut holes in the ceiling and prefer to surface ceiling mount speakers instead as I found out it is not a very safe practice for angled down firing speakers and is not advised so the only available option is the SVS prime elevation as it lends itself for multiple placement, wall or ceiling.

My only concern with the SVS PRIME ELEVATION is first the price is extortionate for a what the speakers is very small with a 4.5’’ mid range I mean £549 is ridiculous price it is a money grab for sure & in my room that will not be very loud speaker compared to the rest of my setup and that is putting me of buying it as it seems an awful outlay for what is essentially a very small tiny speaker on the other hand the Monitor Audio C380-FX in ceiling speaker is actually £100 cheaper and has an 8’’ woofer means better sound, right? More base and a far greater absorption of sound which would reflect the rest of the system.

Question is does anyone on this forum have these SVS speakers who can give a thumbs up are they worth the money and are they good enough for the application I intend to use them, no sense in me phoning the shop to ask as they will only tell me what I want to hear so I need an unbiased and truthful reply.

I don’t really want to buy the in ceiling speakers as if I move I might end up with speakers I could never use again and to sell them would be a total waste of money as I would never recoup my original outlay on the Monitor Audio C380-FX. I could install them and just cut the holes into the ceiling no problems and would be an easier job where I am now, I mean I would hate to cut a massive hole into my ceiling if at all possible I would prefer surface mounted or are there any other options out there.

The SVS Prime Elevation are ripping the price as they know an understand there are people like me and that is why the price on these tiny teeny speakers are ridiculously expensive, if no other option is available I may just go with the in ceiling speaker as the SVS Prime Elevation I don’t think could compare to the in ceiling speaker if I am being truthfully honest. Not unless it performs and is up to par with a big system as I have never heard them myself it is hard to gauge and without knowing what they are capable of maybe I am wrong so I need to be educated and have someone explain they are worth the money and that is why they are so expensive is because they are fantastic loud crisp sound that can keep up with any system no matter how big the other speakers are as the SVS Prime elevation will integrate really well you see that is what I don’t know and that is what I would like to find out So if anyone can give advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

Last edited:

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
Thats why I bought regular speakers for heght atmos as they are way overpriced. Ie Dali alteco versus spektor, they're the same speaker but double the price. And very inefficient speakers also low sensitivity.

Also angled speakers wouldn't work for the rears anyway. I went with Q acoustic 3010i two pair with brackets cost about £350 ish

JL12W7

Thank you that has settled it as I assumed the same a money grab. And a total waste of hard earned cash so I may just buy the Monitor in ceiling speaker but only in the smaller 6.5‘’ size Instead of 8’’ thoug it makes very little to the diameter hole cut into the he ceiling 245mm versus 211mm circumference I made a cardboard template and the hole is massive when you actually see it visually. Ha ha, I can see the other half having a total melt down when she spies the new in ceiling speakers, fun eh.

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
Atmos speaker will look a bit neater though. White speakers disappear quite well with white ceiling/walls

3010i will be easier to sell and if I wanted to reuse them more likely to need regular speakers

Attachments

• IMG_20211217_110649427.jpg
    IMG_20211217_110649427.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 39

JL12W7

Atmos speaker will look a bit neater though. White speakers disappear quite well with white ceiling/walls

3010i will be easier to sell and if I wanted to reuse them more likely to need regular speakers
What bracket did you use and is it adjustable would that bracket led itself to be ceiling mounted though I would need to brace the ceiling first before installation as I would need to angle that speaker down towards the seated area as it will be to the right and left of the seated area to give the left and right centre Atmos. Yes I hear you when you say the in ceiling speaker would indeed be a nightmare to sell if it would even possible sell Ii very much doubt it where as the ordinary speaker would be a doddle to sell.

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
Those are the official q acoustic brackets. They're heavy speakers so you need to go into timbers above. I wouldn't fit into ceiling as Victorian ceiling with slatted boards and plaster.

JL12W7

Those are the official q acoustic brackets. They're heavy speakers so you need to go into timbers above. I wouldn't fit into ceiling as Victorian ceiling with slatted boards and plaster.
No up to date ceiling between rafters bolt the wood into the rafters then attach the bracket to the wood then attach the speaker job done is it possible to angle the speakers while on the bracket.

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
Those brackets do have a lot of side to side and downward facing adjustment.

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
These are for sale

JL12W7

I went with these in the end. Monitor Audio C280 In-Ceiling Speaker x 2 as to fit speakers to the ceiling would be quite the task and these are a simple cut slip fit Apart from all the work that will be required will be a doddle.

I appreciate all your help but my room would not lend itself well to speakers hanging from the ceiling, would look ugly too, so this is a compromise of the two.

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
Worthwhile to get 4 atmos speakers IMO as it works better with that rather than two (one pair)

Not cheap at £285 for a single!

JL12W7

My problem is what if we change house and I can not repurpose those ceiling speakers in the next house that would be a total waste, and I have the 4 x KEF R8A’s at leat this way I only lose two ceiling speakers and I keep my current KEF atmos speakers. If I buy 4 x ceiling speakers then the KEF R8A’s are wasted as they are surplus to requirements.

I don’t know will have to give this one a think. I am getting them for £215 a speaker, that works out £430 £120 cheaper than the SVS Prime Elevation which is daylight robbery, if I am being honest considering what the speaker is very tiny anyway horses for courses I suppose just not for me.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom