SVS PC13-Ultra vs SVS PB13-Ultra

erus1982

Established Member
Reaction score
Discuss. Does SVS PB13-Ultra worths the extra money? How's the SVS PC13-Ultra?

Nowt to discuss, imo. The box goes fractionally lower, but it's not noticable.
The tube is a lot cheaper to produce, which is why it's cheaper.
But many people hate it's looks.

There is also a suggestion that the tube is easier to integrate due to the port to woofer distance which may prove to be an advantage is some circumstances.

Graham

I have the B&W 610 subwoofer but I'm considering the SVS PC13-Ultra as an investment. Do you think will last me for 10 years or something? I watch movies, my room is not large atm as i'm living in a flat (6x4m) but I will probably move to a bigger place at some point.

There is also a suggestion that the tube is easier to integrate due to the port to woofer distance which may prove to be an advantage is some circumstances.

Graham
Ah good point :smashin:

I personally wouldn't buy a D/F for a bedroom or a suspended wooden floor though.

Perhaps there is stuff to discuss after all :)

I have the B&W 610 subwoofer but I'm considering the SVS PC13-Ultra as an investment. Do you think will last me for 10 years or something? I watch movies, my room is not large atm as i'm living in a flat (6x4m) but I will probably move to a bigger place at some point.

Not sure what you mean as an investment :confused:

But, the driver seems super quality to me.
The problem is more likely to be in the amp.
That's the same with all subs though, I'd guess.

My room is 6 X 3M, so that's not going to be a problem (as in too small), and it will fill a larger room, no worries.

I personally wouldn't buy a D/F for a bedroom or a suspended wooden floor though.

Isn't that what's being discussed a bit in another thread titled "sub for flat" where it seems that D/F doesn't really matter because "omnidirectional bass"?

Last edited:
Isn't that what's being discussed a bit in another thread titled "sub for flat" where it seems that D/F doesn't really matter because "omnidirectional bass"?

Very possibly.

Omnidirectional bass is generally correct, but how subs react with wooden floors is a different subject ;)

I'm going to bed now, but will have a look at how that thread's going tomorrow :smashin:

I think Badger was referring to suspended wooden floors, which can wobble a fair bit when the sub is being used at fairly loud volumes .. I don't really see it as much of an issue and any isolation platform will help in reducing the effect anyway :)

Any prospect of SVS producing some veneer wraped tubes? There are some lovely photos kicking around of previous tube subs in real wood veneer and they're stunning. This is at the moment the one big advantage of the PB. It looks nice and you can stick a large tree in a pot on top of it. (Which shakes in line with the bass!) :D

There are some lovely photos kicking around of previous tube subs in real wood veneer and they're stunning.

They used to be the top of the range passive subs but were discontinued some years ago. I think that the main problem with the veneered tubes was one of cost as they were disproportionately expensive

They used to be the top of the range passive subs but were discontinued some years ago. I think that the main problem with the veneered tubes was one of cost as they were disproportionately expensive

That's what I read. It's a pity as they're gorgeous in their own right. They were indeed passive. I remember reading the thread about them. Wonder if you could get a PCU stripped and veneered by a furnature restorer? Must look into it! :D

Any prospect of SVS producing some veneer wraped tubes? There are some lovely photos kicking around of previous tube subs in real wood veneer and they're stunning. This is at the moment the one big advantage of the PB. It looks nice and you can stick a large tree in a pot on top of it. (Which shakes in line with the bass!) :D

Register your interest..... (excluding wood veneer!!!!) :rotfl:

Not sure what you mean as an investment :confused:

But, the driver seems super quality to me.
The problem is more likely to be in the amp.
That's the same with all subs though, I'd guess.

My room is 6 X 3M, so that's not going to be a problem (as in too small), and it will fill a larger room, no worries.

What amp problem?

Any issues with this sub? Does it break easily?

What amp problem?

Any issues with this sub? Does it break easily?

There is no problem with the sub, well none that I know of.
I was merely pointing out that if you are going to get a problem, the amp is usually the first thing to go, same as any brand of sub.

I think you might find why SVS stopped doing it :D

I don't doubt you're right!

Still, know a great restorer, and in a credit crunch, who knows, maybe for a couple of hundred quid he'd do it. It'd be the most stunning sub.

On another av forum (can't post a link to the forum or test data hosted on the forum as it's forbidden), they tested the PB13 Ultra and PC13 Ultra. The data shows the tube has a slightly higher peak SPL but the performance of both subs is (as expected) very close.

On another av forum (can't post a link to the forum or test data hosted on the forum as it's forbidden), they tested the PB13 Ultra and PC13 Ultra. The data shows the tube has a slightly higher peak SPL but the performance of both subs is (as expected) very close.

So my guess is that for money-performance better pick is the PC13ultra? If the tube and the cylinder are very close then i suppose i could pick the PC because it's lighter, easier to move and cheaper with cheaper shipping rates. What do you think ?

So my guess is that for money-performance better pick is the PC13ultra? If the tube and the cylinder are very close then i suppose i could pick the PC because it's lighter, easier to move and cheaper with cheaper shipping rates. What do you think ?

The box goes fractionally lower, the cylinder goes fractionally higher.
Either way there's nothing in it.

The cylinder is the one to go with, if you (or more likely the missus) can stand the way it looks, simple :smashin:

In real world terms there is probably nothing in it. I went for the cylinder as it takes up far less space in my living room

So my guess is that for money-performance better pick is the PC13ultra?

On a SPL per £ invested then it's a no-brainer. The tube wins over the box. Although if your ultimate goal is maximum bang-per-£ invested, although it is not quite as loud or capable, the monolith would be the winner as it's so cheap, about on third the price of the SVS ultras.

If the tube and the cylinder are very close then i suppose i could pick the PC because it's lighter, easier to move and cheaper with cheaper shipping rates. What do you think ?

Ahem, tube and cylinder?!?! :D

Seriously I think you're right, get the tube. My Mrs hates both the PB13U & PC13U but she hated the tube least, which was handy as it cost me less! :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom