SVS PC-Ultra...set up advice please

antz

Novice Member
Hi
My pc-ultra arrived on Tuesday and I've set it up in terms of the levels and phase.

I've used the Digital Video Essentials disk to assist but have a problem.

The amp has a built in parametric equalizer...to configure this I need to be able to measure sound at a number of increments, probably 5Hz increments between 20Hz and 100Hz.

Problem is, having worked out how to navigate the DVE disc, I cannot find any option for doing just that, i.e. in staged increments.

Am I missing something on DVE or do I need Avia or autosound 2000 instead?

BTW...this sub produces bass which I simply cannot find words to describe. I've been into AV since 1993 and this sub produces by far the best bass I have ever heard...admittedly I have not sampled as many subs as some here...but this sub exudes a sound of a quality I have not heard before.

Thanks
Antz

Andywilliams

Hi Antz
Glad to hear your pleased with your new sub, I bet with the few negative things certain people said did make you slightly anxious not having heard an svs before.Sorry i cant help with set up of the equalizer but iam sure if you emailed tom at svs he would certainly know what you need to do.
Anyway welcome to the svs club.:D
Cheers Gonzo.

Jeff

Some people just don't have any taste, you can always take the grill off and put scores on the holes and start your own fair ground attraction. ;)

Just pulling your leg, I'm sure it's a great sub. :) Enjoy!

Andywilliams

Hi Jeff
Spoke with tom at svs about them producing the pc-ultra in a wood finish which does look alot better than the velvet finish (at the mo only the ss cylinder is wood)which would be a good move.He said it was on the agenda but not till 2005,Id really like the pb-ultra 2 but havent really got the room.
Cheers Gonzo.

Nimby

Distinguished Member
NCH offers a tone generator in a varierty of waveforms as a downloadable software program.

Once you have the software installed: Connect your low level sub input socket to the computer's line (low) level speaker-out socket.

Just be careful you don't have the volume set too high on your sub when testing. Start with a clearly audible tone that is still within the subs frequency band (120Hz should be okay) before plumbing the depths. Your SVS can produce distortion free very low frequencies at very high levels so you might not be able to hear the lowest tones even when the room is shaking itself to bits. :blush:

So once you have an adible level don't adjust the sub's volume control. It is tempting to do so because a decent distortion free sub sounds quieter as the frequency sinks even though it's still putting out high sound levels! It is just the natural bass roll-off of the human ear at work. So be careful.

Nimby

antz

Novice Member
Nimby, thanks for the info on NCH , but my computer is in a different room to the sub.

Anybody else help? Particularly with reference to Digital Video Essentials...does it have the facility to generate set tones?

If not, what could I use instead?

Thanks

Antz

Jase

Distinguished Member
Originally posted by antz
Anybody else help? Particularly with reference to Digital Video Essentials...does it have the facility to generate set tones?

DVE has a few sweeps you could use. Here's the list:-

Audio Test Signals, System Response *
1 Buzz & Rattle Test, 15 Hz to 300 Hz - Left
2 Buzz & Rattle Test, 15 Hz to 300Hz - Center
3 Buzz & Rattle Test, 15 Hz to 300 Hz - Right
4 Buzz & Rattle Test, 15 Hz to 300 Hz - 6 Main Channels
5 Frequency Sweep, 15 Hz to 20 KHz - Left
6 Frequency Sweep, 15 Hz to 20 KHz - Center
7 Frequency Sweep, 15 Hz to 20 KHz - Right
8 Frequency Sweep, 15 Hz to 20 KHz - 6 Main Channels
9 Bass Management Test, 15 Hz to 150 Hz - 6 Main Channels
10 Bass Management Test, 15 Hz to 150 Hz - Left
11 Bass Management Test, 15 Hz to 150 Hz - Center
12 Bass Management Test, 15 Hz to 150 Hz - Right
13 Bass Management Test, 15 Hz to 150 Hz - Right Surround
14 Bass Management Test, 15 Hz to 150 Hz - Back Surround
15 Bass Management Test, 15 Hz to 150 Hz - Left Surround
16 Bass Management Test, 15 Hz to 150 Hz _ LFE

Title 10 - Chapters 1-16.

You can use these and a Sound Meter but you have to pretty speedy as the sweep is fairly quick.

Jeff

Antz,

Make sure you give one of the port plugs a go and set the subsonic filter at 16Hz, it's quite a nice effect. The grill is a bit of a bugger to get off, just be patient.

antz

Novice Member
Jase, thanks I'll try that with DVE.

Jeff, how does the grill come off? Is it just the grill or the outer band as well?

Cheers
Antz

Jeff

The outer bit as well.

Jeff

Use a blunt flat screwdriver and lever it a bit from every angle.