1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SVS PC Ultra, first impressions

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Kazman, Sep 15, 2004.

1. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Right, now I've had a night to sleep on it (not on the sub you understand :p ), I thought I'd give my thoughts on the PCU so far.

Thought 1: Bloody hell it weighs a ton!!

Thought 2: Build quality is top notch, not sure about that sock though.

Thought 3: It's bloody huge!!

Wife walks into the hallway as I was unpacking it, and her jaw dropped, "What the hell :censored: is that?" she asks, I quietly said, "<whimper> the new subwoofer</whimper>".

She called earlier in the day to tell me the "BEAST" had arrived, she commented how the box is bigger than her and to wait till I got home *gulp* :suicide: :oops:

Well, after I set the BEAST up, and switched it on, her attitude changed, she likes the way it sounds.

OK, it still needs a lot of running in, but so far, it has been very impressive.

I haven't set the BFD up yet, will wait till she is run in properly first, but I do not notice any noticable peaks in my room so far.

Was watching Halloween Ressurection on Sky Plus (not Halloween H2O as I had mentioned earlier in another thread), and the way the PC Ultra was so controlled and didn't overwhelm the rest of the soundtrack was truly astonishing!!!

Quality!! :smashin:

The best way to describe it is to say that you could hear the different bass tones/frequencies, not just one or two as you do with the majority of budget subs, but EVERYTHING!!

I would never have called the KEF PSW2500 I had previously 'boomy' but compared to the PC Ultra, it boomed!! :eek:

The smooth distortion free bass was very nice. I'm going to run a few more familiar titles through the PCU tonight, and get the tweaking completed as much as I can without using the BFD, but so far, I am VERY VERY impressed.

Believe the hype, the SVS PC Ultra is an awesome subwoofer, if you can accept the way it looks, you will be very happy with one.

Will give a more in depth review once the setup has completed.

2. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    SHOCK UPDATE!!!!!

My wife not only likes the sound of it, this morning, she actually told me she thinks it "LOOKS COOL" :eek:

She LIKES the look of the PC Ultra!!!! Amazing!!!!!

I was never worried :D

3. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,146
    Sounds like carte blanche for another one if you ask me :laugh:.

4. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Heh heh, not right now, I'd be pushing my luck too much.

I'm looking forward to putting the PC Ultra up against the Mordaunt Short Performance sub though.

Any news on when you can get hold of one for a comparison?

5. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,146
    When its ready :). No sense going into a comparison like that half cocked as it were. Oh yes, we'll need a sizably bigger car to move it in as well.

6. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Anyone else interested in this?

Would be cool to get a KEF PSW4000 owner in the mix, as well as any B&W ASW850 and 750 owners.

M&K 350's anyone? Velodyne DD18's? Dfour could bring his baby SVS too if he gets it in time.

Might start another thread on it to see if anyone bites :)

7. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    play DARLA :devil: :lease:

Cannot wait until your further reviews - welcome to the club!! :clap:

8. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Even if I cant get the mini svs (Pre ordered it today) up to the sub test I would love to just be there and listen to them all:devil:

9. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Is there an ETA for it yet mate?

I mean, we could pencil something in about a week after you get yours so it has some time to run in :) We can carry this on in the other thread I've started :)

10. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    Had my PCU about a month now and I often can't tell if its on..... until I turn it off. Its the cleanest sounding sub I've ever heard and never intrudes when it shouldn't.

But feed it a good 5.1 workout and my trousers start flapping about and I get a big silly grin on my face. :devil:
    I can't imagine ever wanting to part with it.

Welcome to the club :thumbsup:

11. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi Jules

I have to agree, I've run through a few titles now:

1: Opening race scene in 2 Fast 2 Furious, I find this scene to be a good tester, as a bad sub will dominate the soundstage. The PCU was perfect, it went low, and deep, and didn't intrude onto the main soundtrack, I could feel the bass not hear it, I turned off the PCU in the middle of the scene, and it felt like a huge gaping hole had been left :eek: I quickly turned it back on.

2: Minority Report, sonic gun scene in chapter 9. What can I say, AMAZING!!! And this beast still hasn't been run in properly!!!!! :D My sofa shook, and my arse with it, no distortion, I only took it upto -10db, as it was quite late, but quickly had to turn it down for that scene!!

3: Attack Of The Clones, opening scene: The PCU here shone like a star, it handled the ships engine and explosion with finesse, again, no audible distortion. Next up, the asteroid chase scene. This is the best I've heard it, this sub doesn't stop astounding me, and I say again, it STILL has to run in properly :eek:!!!!!

Going to go through the Matrix trilogy test scenes tomorrow, and Finding Nemo, DARLA!!!!! :D Great sub, I'm well chuffed with it, and yes, it is STILL sinking in that the wife thinks it looks 'cool' WOOHOO!! :) :cool:

12. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    It's stuff like this that makes having an SVS just the most enjoyable experience in Home Cinema (IMHO of course :) ). I have had mine for a couple of months now, and I simply cannot even imagine that the absolute and incredible pleasure that it brings will ever wane. I never tire of reading reviews like yours either - when you have "been there" yourself, you know just what an experience others are going through. Sensational stuff - keep it coming :thumbsup:

13. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I calibrated the sub last night, along with the rest of my speakers with the SPL, I was actually surprised at how accurate my by ear setup was, only my front left speaker was out by more than a few db's.

I set the sub a little higher at about 78-80 db, to me, it sounds better a little over cooked :), I'm assuming it is due to the size of the room.

One thing the SVS PC Ultra can do though, is pressurise!!! The test tone through the sub was so deep and I could feel the rooms air being moved and compressed, it got to the point where sustained exposure was pressurising my eardrums!!!! :eek:

Anyway, once it was all set up, I ran Minority Report again, BANG! no BOOM! Was lovely, sounding even better than before.

Went on to Matrix Reloaded, the opening scene was amazing, handling Trinity's decent and the bikes explosion with aplomb!! The fight scene when they just find the Keymaker was fantastic. Just at the begining of that scene, one of the henchmen comes in swinging with a huge weapon, and the SVS screams into action, blending in so well with the rears as the weapon swings behind you!! Fantastic!! So many times in the movie I could hear a tune with the lower frequencies, there was music there, which I NEVER heard before the SVS was installed, the KEF before it just rumbled in these scenes!

Didn't get a chance to do DARLA!! yet though, hoping to do so over the weekend. The SVS PC Ultra is phenomenal, I get more impressed with it every day! If you are thinking of getting one, stop thinking and do it, once you have it set up properly (or if you are lucky like me and it sounds great out of the box), you will have one of the best subwoofers money can buy.

14. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Kazman,

Are you useing the BFD yet?

John :)

15. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Haven't installed the BFD yet, as I haven't had a chance to chart my room with the PC Ultra in place. I do not notice any peaks or troughs yet though, The room accoustics are surprisingly well behaved.

Going to plot a graph and see what I can improve with the BFD, if I do not get/need any improvement,I'll still keep the BFD as when the cinema setup moves to the loft conversion later in the yr, who knows what kind of accoustics it will have.

Weekend means I can play a few fave titles at reference levels without waking up the entire town :) so will be a good chance to really flex the SVS.

16. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think with a loft conversion you should get another Ultra :devil:

17. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Well, the plan was to either go for a single PB2 Ultra, or two PC Ultra's, in the end, I felt that two PC Ultras would be better.

Once the Loft conversion is built, I will be ordering another :D The wife can't say anything, as the Cinema room is MY room, to do with what I see fit :D hence I will also be having a Fussball table there :):):) And let us not forget the lazyboys!!! :D

18. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good on ya mate :smashin: should sound excellent, but once it's done i bet she will love it ;)

19. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I'm sure she will, I bet I'll have a hard time getting her out of the room! :)

I'm still getting over the fact she LIKES the look of the PC Ultra in the LIVING ROOM :eek: amazing, women, I'll never work them out! :)

20. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I just got my BFD today, will set it up tomorrow. :)

21. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Got round to playing Darla!

Bloody hell!! The house was shaking!!! :eek: My sister and her fiance were around, and they were gob smacked!!

I checked the submarine scene as well, and that too was breathtaking.

I heard no distortion, only clean hard bass, this sub is really impressing me. For the money, it is an awesome beast. I can't wait to set up the home cinema room now (loft conversion) so I can really open her up.

22. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now we know how Fish Feel :laugh: