SVS PC-2000 Review

wilsonlaidlaw

Hi, I had a PV1 a long time ago and upgraded to an SVS PB12+,

That HSU looks like a good deal, how much would it be including any customs charges? If I hadn't bought the SB13, I may have seriously considered that, although I read quite a lot of BASH amp failure threads over the years so that would put me off a little especially importing from the US. Although saying that, my original PB12+ that had the BASH 525W amp is still going strong (I sold it to a friend) :)

That certainly sounds like a unique room you have there, curved walls.. I'm sure that would be an interesting measure of in-room responses?

Regarding leaning towards the PC12 Plus.. I think you'd be happy although It would be handy if you could let us know the size of your room in cubic ft as 120m2 sounds huge (assuming 10m x 12m x??) and I'm wondering if one sub is enough?

The room size is about correct, as it is all open plan, albeit a very irregular shape. The maximum dimensions are around 50 feet by 30 feet by 9 feet. I have been managing with a JBL 250W RMS subwoofer for over 11 years, so any advance will be an improvement. I am going to go down to Worthing (about 45 minutes away from my UK house) to listen to a PV1B to see if I like it. I will take some of my own favourite classical piano music to play and ask them to match with B&W 802's which are as close to my SCM-40's as they do.

The cost of the HSU Rosenut ULS-15 including shipping and estimated taxes would be around £1200 but as they are not going to do the rosenut until the end of the year, it is a moot question.

I have now narrowed my choice to a Velodyne 1200 SPL Ultra, an SVS SB13 or the B&W PV1D. I will defer my decision until I have heard the PV1D.

Wilson

Daddy k

Distinguished Member
I had the svs pc12+

It was great! Fantastic bang for the buck!

However due to me being restricted in positioning it I got rid and went for 2 pv1d's which are very easy to position due to the size and the less dramatic impact visually on the room.

So if your restricted in positioning (wife, looks of the room, furniture) I recommend the pv1d as it may perform better than a poorly placed (due to restrictions) pc12+

Mine enable me to have them located on the front sound stage which was never an option with my svs

ImageUploadedByAVForums1423929296.138523.jpg

wilsonlaidlaw

I have ended up buying none of the subwoofers on my original possibilities list. I have bought a new Monitor Audio Gold GXW 15 in piano black. I got about 40% off list on the price, which just brought it within my budget. It seems to tick all the boxes with a sealed box design, 15" driver, 650W amp with lots of cooling fins, DSP control, room acoustic equalisation system with supplied microphone and remote control. The earlier ones had a bit of a reputation for unreliability but hopefully that is now sorted. I had not previously considered Monitor Audio, as I had always thought their speakers a bit "middle of the road", not very interesting and if even well made, not particularly good value but the subwoofer hopefully, is a bit better.

Optik

Standard Member
I have PC 2000 on order. Delivery due on Tuesday the 10th... can't wait...

paulst10

Distinguished Member
I have PC 2000 on order. Delivery due on Tuesday the 10th... can't wait...
Did it arrive Ok? Are you happy with it?

Optik

Standard Member

paulst10

Distinguished Member
Still waiting for the 10th of March :)... It is only 6th today
Ah yes :) Did you order from Lsound? Keep an eye on the tracking as it changes quite frequently, my PC-2000 was sent on the 9th or 10th and arrived on the 12th, but the SB13 took almost a week.

Optik

Standard Member
Ah yes :) Did you order from Lsound? Keep an eye on the tracking as it changes quite frequently, my PC-2000 was sent on the 9th or 10th and arrived on the 12th, but the SB13 took almost a week.

Yes lsound. Ups updated their status to :delivery on Monday. Though sub already in the local UPS depot. But for some reason they will not let me collect tomorrow... Monday is the day of truth.

Optik

Standard Member
Sub is delivered. Wife, after seeing the sub pointed at the door... But after some test (Finding Nemo - fish-tank glass banging as well, as blue-ray bass test, conveniently put together by members of another audio forum) she let us stay!
4 weeks since delivery, and only happy moments. It is like all my speakers now sound better!

Such

Optik

What sub, if any, did you have before?
I have ordered one to see if it is a suitable replacement for my Mono+, the idea was for 2 Mono's but after seeing this, 2 PC2000's will be easier to get past swmbo and fit at the back of my room.

Thanks, and glad to hear you are liking it.

Such

Optik

Standard Member
Optik

What sub, if any, did you have before?
I have ordered one to see if it is a suitable replacement for my Mono+, the idea was for 2 Mono's but after seeing this, 2 PC2000's will be easier to get past swmbo and fit at the back of my room.

Thanks, and glad to hear you are liking it.

I had HECO 5.1 system. Pretty good setup, but since other speakers upgrade sub sounded bad...
Soon converting my loft in to the cinema... was thinking this: Home , bat then again, for the cost might be better to put something together...

Member 116841

Distinguished Member
Do the pc2000 go lower than the sb2000 for movies as they both have the same power.
The two subs both use the same amplifier and bass driver, but the PC2000 will go deeper being ported. Because of this, placement will be more important. The sealed SB2000 won't reach as deep, but has the ability to produce faster, tighter bass.

claire3147

The two subs both use the same amplifier and bass driver, but the PC2000 will go deeper being ported. Because of this, placement will be more important. The sealed SB2000 won't reach as deep, but has the ability to produce faster, tighter bass.
Given the choice,which one would you choose David?
Movies 90% music 10% room size 6m x 3.5m
Which is more important,deeper bass or faster and tighter bass?

Last edited:

paulst10

Distinguished Member

Go for the PC-2000 if you want your room to wobble :) But if you're after a more refined experience then go for the SB-2000. Regarding the depth, you may find that the sealed sub digs deeper but it just doesn't have the output below 30hz that the ported sub has.

How loud do you watch your movies and do you have any neighbours to consider?

Member 116841

Distinguished Member
A sealed sub will benefit far more movies than a ported one. If you enjoy watching and re watching the likes of big expensive blockbusters with very little substance, then the ported sub will be a lot of fun. But it won't bring you the same benefits for the average film.

Personally, I enjoy a clean, tight bass with plenty of texture. I rewatch a lot of films, but very few of those are the bass fests that are used regularly in demos. For me it would be the SB2000, with a view to possibly adding a second, as it is surprising the sort of differences that can make.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom