For Sale SVS PC-13 Ultra - not working

Discussion in 'Archived Classifieds' started by juniper, Aug 23, 2018.

1. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    For sale with some considerable sadness on my part is my SVS PC-13 Ultra. I bought it around 5 years ago and it has performed brilliantly and like you would expect the Ultra to perform, that is amazingly and I assume it needs no introduction here.

However...it stopped working recently, and after speaking to SVS Customer support in the US, they believe (but to be clear they don't know as no full diagnosis has been performed) that the amp has failed. It blows fuses as you put new ones in, and so it is assumed that the amp needs to be replaced. It could be something more simple, but as I'm not one to meddle with amplifiers as I have no idea what I'm doing :eek: then I'm going to assume it is dead. I understand that a new amp (if required) from asking around is around £400.

The sub is in otherwise good condition, has been used in a smoke free and pet free environment, and is complete with original box and packaging.

I would have asked £650 or so for the sub if it had been working as it should, and I'll deduct the whole cost of the new amp, so £250. Clearly if the fault is more simple and you can fix it simply then you get the bargain of all time here. If alternatively it is something more serious then the risk is yours, as I can't obviously warrant anything here.

Due to size and weight I cannot ship, and so collection only please. Happy to answer any questions or take photos if needed to interested buyers.

Price and currency: £250
    Delivery: Delivery cost is not included
    Payment method: Bank Transfer
    Advertised elsewhere?: Not advertised elsewhere
    Prefer goods collected?: I prefer the goods to be collected

Please be advised, all buyers and sellers should satisfy themselves that the other party is genuine by providing the following via private conversation to each other after negotiations are complete and prior to dispatching goods and making payment:

• Landline telephone number. Make a call to check out the area code and number are correct, too
    • Name and address including postcode
    • Valid e-mail address
    DO NOT proceed with a deal until you are completely satisfied with all details being correct. It's in your best interest to check out these details yourself.

2. Ambienz

Ambienz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I'm usually game to roll up my sleeves and have a go, but don't have a car so stuck in London.

GLWS

3. JWalker1

JWalker1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +273
    Would you be willing to remove the amp and take a few pictures? Or allow me to inspect it if I drove up to you? I am not too far at all.

4. simonb3665

simonb3665

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Hi again, if you bought it new (ie say 6 years oldish) I'll offer 225 and should be able to collect in the next week or so (5 hour round trip) if that's acceptable or ill pay for courier. thanks, Si

5. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I bought it about 6 years ago, but second hand. It's the BASH amp if that helps.

6. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Am not sure I know how to do that - is it is big/difficult job?

7. JWalker1

JWalker1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +273
    The amp on the back is held in place with screws. You undo these and then it can be inspected. But unless you are familiar with electronics I would not recommend it, even while unplugged and unpowered.

If you would be happy to let me do it, I could swing by later. Undo screws, look for faulty components and assess. I would either take it at asking price, or leave it if I could not identify the source of the problem.

8. simonb3665

simonb3665

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Hi, I tracked it back through its owners on this site and is May 2008 model. The first owner lived 10 miles from me!
    I would still be interested but I wouldn't be thinking of trying to repair the amp and the time to travel makes it difficult for me (and it could also sit in the garage for years :) )
    Let jwalker1 have a look and hopefully, he can repair it and that sound the way to go and a classic sub lives on. If not I'll keep an eye on the thread as I can still potentially make use of the driver.

9. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I'm not happy to do it, but yes am happy for you to do so on the understanding that you want it if you can repair it. I'll move to PM to send you my details from there.

10. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    So to update - JWalker1 came round this evening to see the sub, but unfortunately couldn’t get the screws out to remove the amp. He had seemingly good screwdrivers and knows his way round these things clearly too.

So we are back to where we were earlier - albeit with a further note to anyone that getting into the back is going to be tougher than certainly I thought it would be.

11. JWalker1

JWalker1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +273
    Defeated by the screws! I obviously didn't want to damage someone else's property. They can be removed with some persuasion no doubt.

12. Legzr1

Legzr1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    The screws aren’t a standard size and need the correct ‘square drive’ to remove the amp (size #5 if memory serves).
    Once they’re all removed, the plate amp may need a little persuasion with a flat blade screw driver to break the seal.

£250 is a great price. Factor in a new and far more reliable Sledge amp and the new owner will have an excellent sub that will last for years at an unbeatable price.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. simonb3665

simonb3665

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I'll still offer 225 and can collect Mon-Wed next week. Cheers

14. Pickled Onion

Pickled Onion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Damn I would buy this but cant travel that far, If its a dead short shouldn't be too hard to find the culprit with a multi-meter. Couple of quid to repair it if you know what your doing.

15. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Happy to accept your offer Simon. I'll PM you accordingly.

16. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Simonb3665 has paid for and collected the sub this morning. Deal concluded therefore.