Question SVS PB2000 vs XTZ 1X12

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Stellavision, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    I’m looking to purchase a new sub over the next few weeks and have narrowed it down to these two, the SVS PB2000 and the XTZ Cinema 1X12. I’ve done a bit of searching and cannot find any recent comparisons. Has anyone tried them both and if so what did you think?
    I’ve always had sealed boxes (with the exception of an early SVS 25hz cylinder) and I’m fancying something ported as I mainly use my system for movies and are looking for that bit of extra depth and slam. My room is 14’ X 12’ My front speakers are 3 x MA Apex A40’s with 2 x Apex A10 surrounds.
    I also had the Arendal 1.5 on my shortlist which may have been my number 1 choice, but it’s size and price is putting it just out of the equation. At the minute I think I’m leaning towards the XTZ due to it having the extra eq options and the potential to be fully sealed if required. I also prefer the XTZ finish over the black ash which the PB2000 comes in. That said, I may disregard finish to disregard the slight performance advantages.
    Before anyone suggests a two sub setup this is definitely out the question unfortunately.
    Let me know any thoughts. Thanks.

2. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +916
    So PC2000 (cylinder) is out of question then? About same performance and price to PB2000, but with gloss black top would look better sitting in front corner with small footprint. Downfiring ported design and very light & easy to move around compared to others.

I have commented about the differences of PB2000 vs XTZ 1x12 earlier, so will keep it short. Basically SVS with the larger cabinet will dig down slightly lower and has noticeable output edge (6-8db) around 20-25hz (often perceived as twice as loud). Other measurements were spot on with SVS & XTZ. PB2000 sounded better on 2ch music test without any correction (sub eq) and test winner, XTZ 1x12 Cinema 2nd. Both great products!

Ideally if you aren`t adding second subwoofer at any point (?), then buying the best performing sub you can afford would be wise! No buyers remorse later on for extra 100£. But if the large subwoofer is limiting you to find best place for it, then it might not be good idea. And will that black ash come to haunt your dreams as a nightmare. :rolleyes: It surely would come to mine.. :D

You can also try the XTZ at home and make the final decision after listening it without panic and rush! :)
    XTZ - Buy and Try Policy -

There is quite many SVS dealers in UK, proper home demo being still best! Of course i would still always opt for some kind of demo if possible when buying something more expensive. Just like members here visiting people homes before making the decision.

3. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Thanks for the response, all useful info.
    A PC2000 would definitely be out of the question. It would go higher than our window sill and the Mrs isn’t a fan. When I had one of the very early cylinders she called it the ‘dustbin’, although the design of the newer models do look a little more refined.
    I think that the XTZ is winning at the moment. I only have one place I can put it which is in a front corner location and previous testing with other subs shows that I have significant room gain below 20hz. Or that’s what testing on my last Fi Q 15 DIY pic shows (see pic) so My concern with the SVS PB2000 could be too overpowering in those lower frequencies?
    0929DEDB-717E-45A9-B758-CA77F2B7317E.jpeg

4. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    So I took the Mrs to a hospital appointment and this was her waiting ticket. It must be a sign! :D
    18A980B7-1D78-4B8F-89B7-9ABB20BEAF92.jpeg

5. andym81

andym81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Have you not considered a sealed sub.
    Your room is not larger

6. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    I originally had the SVS SB2000 at the top of my list, but I've always had mostly sealed in the past and I fancy a change. I'm leaning towards the XTZ now because it has the slot port but can also be plugged to run in a sealed configuration.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  7. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +916
    Which sealed subs you have had earlier?

Which receiver you have? As i posted earlier in another thread PB2000 got little carried away in small room (smaller than yours), but after running Audussey MultEQ XT32 things got much better!

8. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    I’ve had a real wide variety. The main ones off the top of my head are B&W ASW675,
    SVS PC 25-31, Velodyne DD15, Velodyne DD12, Velodyne SPL1200, Monitor Audio Apex AW12 and my latest sub - Fi Q 15 DIY sealed box run by a Behringer INuke 6000dsp.

My receiver is the Denon X-3300W

9. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Here’s my room, with the dog sat in my main listening position! Any new sub has to slot in where the current one sits as there is nowhere else to put one! Well, not anywhere the wife would be happy with!
    8BBDF45F-D61A-4072-BFFC-156E2844D9AE.jpeg

10. andym81

andym81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Nice setup. This week if gone from an sb 2000 to the pb 2000,

like you I fancied a change,It was a big mistake,I can not get the pb to work in my room.

The sb beat it all day long in movies.
    Been emailing svs and they said I'd have to find another sweet spot, just because one sub works well in a certain place doesn't mean another sub will.

I'd go xtz at least you'd have the option to plug the ports up

11. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Thanks for the input andy. That’s one of my worries and think that it’s best for me to get a sub that can have its ports plugged if not sealed.
    I hope you get your issue sorted.

12. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +916
    Nice, you have had some very good models but probably not in the same size room i assume, apart from Fi Q15 which i have no idea how it compares to others. You could still try nearfield placement (near couch) with it, if possible. There is many threads on US forum about it and for some people it has been like day and night difference, quoting Tom V; "This way the energy of sub reaches the seating position before it has chance to interact with room."
    Of course even better results can be achieved with ported sub and the driver & port placed towards listener. For many people it doesn`t localize any easier, but the physical impact seems to be from another world!

If you want more that tactile feeling and air being moved generally, one needs to try something different what you got now. What is enough for person X, might not be for person Y. With the XTZ as i linked there is the buy & try period which is a no brainer, if you are not happy return it with money back guarantee. Audussey XT32 is praiced many professional guys working in the industry (esp. correction for the subwoofer) so it should be helpful and help with "bloat" as was mentioned in PB2000 review (when placed in small room). Also Room Gain eq switch might come handy on XTZ. Get the order in and let`s see how it goes! :) You don´t really lose anything by trying, well time and packing up & sending back if not happy. But if the largish 15" sealed Fi Q15 can´t do the trick with powerfull amp in your modest room (if made sure it isn´t placement issue), you need to try something different.

And you already got the sign when visiting doctor, so it should be all good! :D Keep us posted!

13. Venrith

Venrith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    I have a slightly smaller room and have been torn between sealed or ported. So I was also thinking of going with an XTZ but the 12.17 instead as it can run both ported and sealed so allows more options. Maybe not as good sealed as a proper sealed one I'm guessing

14. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +916
    Probably not the same, but it was tested & measured in sealed mode too and got some praise in French review so it seems to be usefull mode and you also got the different eq curves to select which should help example with the "muddy" bass problem (over presented low bass/room gain) so chances are you could enjoy it as ported too. Of course placement matters lot and does your receiver do any correction for the subwoofer, which often comes very helpful in smaller room especially.

Use google translater and book some time to read it up;
    Test XTZ 10.17 et 12.17 : deux caissons de grave qui réunissent puissance et maîtrise | HDfever

You would be looking to spend over 800£ for Arendal Sub1 if looking high performing sealed subwoofer. Or a fine compromise BK P12-300SB-PR with passive radiator (12" + 12") for 450£. And XTZ 10.17 is lurking at 480£ which seems to be amazing performer for the price (read the comparison review), so it´s tough choice!

15. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    @Gasp3621 you are correct in that all my previous subs have been in different houses (3) and different size rooms.
    To be clear though, the Fi Q 15 was definitely not under performing and I was very happy with it. I just fancied a change. I hope that whatever I finish up with is not a downgrade. Like it’s been said, I have the option to return if I’m not happy and either buy something else or do another DIY sub.

16. Venrith

Venrith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Thanks, Unfortunately there is only 1 place for placement and that is at the front in the corner. My room is only 12ftx9ft so not very large. I have read the review and it does sound very good. Maybe with a small room the 10.17 might be even better. I was also looking at the Sub1 which does look very nice!