SVS PB2 Ultra...or ...PB4 Plus??

dealmaker

Standard Member
Reaction score
My REL Studio is getting a bit long in the tooth - and as it was originally purchased to fulfill more of a dual music/movie role, and I rarely listen to music now!, i've decided to replace it with something more geared towards solely Home Cinema use.

Because of, what appears to be, very good value for money, I've narrowed my choices down to the SVS PB2 Ultra or PB4 Plus models.

I know the PB2 has the better "ultra" drivers , and is cheaper, so I'm wondering if the PB2 ULTRA is actually a better bet than the PB4?....anyone got any views on this?...or indeed whether I'm barking up the right tree on this or not?

Should I consider other alternatives (WAF is a big issue however!)

Thanks

Hi dealmaker
The pb-ultra would be a good choice as it is smaller than the b4 so better waf it also has the better drivers.From what ive read on the b4 it can fit in any size room(very large) i think tom and ron tried it with 5000 watt amp to see if it could take it and it did.so changing to the svs from the rel should be quite a big step up in quality sub bass another good thing with the ultra is youve got all the controls onboard so no extra cables or amps.I wish i had room for the ultra as i would definitely have brought one.
Your one lucky guy and would be one of the first to import one the real wood veneers look great on the ultra.
Cheers Gonzo.

Can I suggest that you buy the B4-Plus as no-one else has yet?:)

On a serious note though, drop the guys @ SVS an email with all your kit and room details, they'll give you a no-nonsense view and honest answers.

Originally posted by dealmaker
I know the PB2 has the better "ultra" drivers , and is cheaper, so I'm wondering if the PB2 ULTRA is actually a better bet than the PB4?
The PB4 is louder than the PB2+, of that I'm sure. Tom was very pleased with how well the 4 drivers worked together. The sound characteristic will be different, because of the Ultra-driver.

I would get my answers first hand from Tom/Ron/Erik at SVS. ;)

My REL Studio is getting a bit long in the tooth - and as it was originally purchased to fulfill more of a dual music/movie role, and I rarely listen to music now!, i've decided to replace it with something more geared towards solely Home Cinema use.

Why are you looking at SVS then?

Originally posted by Ettepet
The PB4 is louder than the PB4, of that I'm sure.

Really?, why is that? did you turn the volume up?

Originally posted by Daneel
Why are you looking at SVS then?

I had understood that they are more inclined towards home cinema useage and have a lot of firepower for the money!

If I'm wrong what else should I be considering??

The REL Studio is nice - it has two 10" drivers and a decent amp - it is also impeccably made and finished- I just sometimes feel it's a little too polite!

Hi dealmaker
Do as smurfin says and email T/V at svs they are very good at replying and should be able to answer all your questions.
Cheers Gonzo.

Sorry, it's not that SVS sub are not suitable for HT, far from it in fact, it's just that by all accounts they are damn good with music too.

We had a debate about the whole musical vs movie sub a few weeks back, I'm of the opinion that a good sub, i.e. good extension, low distortion and plenty of power is good at both.

To answer your question, the PB2 Ultra should be more than enough unless you have a massive room (I'd guess a PB2 Ultra would be fine up to about 7,000 cubic feet, talk to Tom V though with your details). PB means powered box, which the B4 is not (you called it a PB4), you need a separate amp.

I just sometimes feel it's a little too polite!

If your sub isn't terrifying you regularly, on film AND music, then it isn't earning its keep. :devil:

You don't keep a fierce dog and bark yourself.

"wuff" :blush:

Nimby

Guys,

Thanks for the advice - my room isn't massive (17ft X 15ft) - so a b4Plus might be overkill.

The REL can, and does, go loud and low and it has served me well - just curious to know if the grass is greener on the SVS side!

I think I'll drop SVS an e-mail, as suggested, and get their take on my best way forward given my romm size etc.

Many thanks

A too big sub has its dissadvantages: Review PB2+. In your 17x15 room even the smallest SVS sub would be more than adequate, "SVS" Tom/Ron/Erik will be happy to point that out to you. ;)

A too big sub has its dissadvantages: Review PB2+. In your 17x15 room even the smallest SVS sub would be more than adequate, "SVS" Tom/Ron/Erik will be happy to point that out to you. ;)

I'd hardly call "tactile pressure" a disadvantage...that's what I'm after:)

Originally posted by Smurfin
I'd hardly call "tactile pressure" a disadvantage...that's what I'm after:)
In that case you need two PB2+'s, as the massive tactile pressure in this review came from one side only. ;)

In that case you need two PB2+'s, as the massive tactile pressure in this review came from one side only. ;)

...and two is what I got, lots of tactile pressure:smashin:

And if anyone wants the tactile pressure from a single PB-2 Plus...there's one in the classifieds that funnily enough, currently belongs to me:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom