1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SVS Pb2 or M&K 1250

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Chats, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Chats

Chats

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone offer any advice on either of these 2 subs and if anyone has compared the two.

Am torn between a matching sub for my kit ordered from the local dealer or the much admired (by these forums) SVS and waiting for it to be delivered from the US.

Any comments greatly appreciated.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I'm afraid that whilst I have heard the mighty M&K 350 sub which I liked a lot I haven't heard the one that you are interested in.

I run the M&K MPS1510 which are the professional version of your S85 and also like yourself I have K4 rears. I run mine with the SVS 20-39 PC Plus cylinder sub and think that it's a fantastic combination. I have never heard the PB2 but from what I have read here it is a truly remarkable piece of equipment for the money that is matched by nothing else at the price.

3. Chats

Chats

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian,

Thanks for the response and yes I agree the forum members certainly seem to rate any SVS sub. I am not really keen on the cylinder types and I can imagine the misses haveing a fit if I brought one into the house, but she did like the M&K 850 I tried as a coffee table :mad:

I did like the M&K 850 I must admit but the 1250 is apparently the same sub, 300 quid cheaper and in black, but you know what its like, give a guy a choice and he will never make up his mind hence the consideration of the PB2.

Any other members got any thoughts ?? Don't make me make a decision, I used to be in decisive now I am not so sure :D

Thanks all

4. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Chats,

I have the M&K V851 sub and it is a brilliant sub,i also have a SVS cylinder sub which too is excellent,SVS do go very loud and low and i would say that the SVS does outperform the M&K only just, if you can handle the size whether a box or cylinder seriously consider SVS as an option ;)

John :)

5. Chats

Chats

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi John,

Thanks for the advice. I tried a 850 and did very much like it but they are a bit pricey. My dealer reckons the 1250 and 850 are the same sub (less the THX stuff i suppose) but the 1250 is £300 cheaper.

I have now emailed SVS for thier advice regarding the size of my room and which sub to go for but I do like the idea of the PB2 plus (since its the same price virtually of the M&K).

Thanks and have fun..

PS What do you think to the 850s and what made you buy em..did toy with upgrading my s85's but decided it wouldnt make that much difference in the grand scheme of things..

6. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Chats

I had a demo of Master & Commander with them and say no more i had to have them :cool:
    I know that there are quite a few forum members on here that have the s85's and i think they love them, don't know if they are better than the 850's though.
    I have listened and owned quite a few make of speakers but notheing has got me so involved in a film like M&K has :thumbsup:

John :)

7. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    I used to own M&K 850's and I really did like them. Excellent speakers and if you have the right room they can sound just fantastic. I them moved to M&K S150's - they are even better. For movie sound they isnt much out there in my opinion that is significantly better than the S150's.

8. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,473
    Re the 850 vs 85's M&K question, I bought a set of 85's after demoing vs the 750's. I honestly thought they were in a different league. Have now upgraded to a second hand set of 125's - in all honesty, not a massive step up from the 85's and one hell of a lot uglier! Don't know what difference the 850's are from the 750's though, but I imagine the tonal balance is similar.
    IMHO, the 85's are an amazing home cinema speaker and in all honesty, would have kept onto mine and spent the money on a better sub
    Phil