1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SVS-PB2+ I've joined the club too!

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by juniper, Jun 11, 2004.

1. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    I have been going through an unbelievably difficult decision making process, as to whether to get a PC Ultra or a PB2+. Anyway, to cut what would be a very long story short, I decided on a PB2+ (big room to fill!). I am so excited I can't even put it into words!! :thumbsup: :clap:

Anyway, apart from wanting to share the news with you, I only have one question here - as I've chosen the door to door shipping option, do you think I should tell my wife (she has no idea :oops: :devil: ) before the box arrives, or just wait for the flak when it comes??

2. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    You really need to pave the way as even though I had prepared my other half (sort of), she still has "issues" with the sheer size of it. Didn't help that, after extensive placement trials, I decided on a sort of couch "end Table" site.
    To just let it turn up will be a nasty shock, probably for both of you.
    I love my sub more than just about anything I own but it is a big mother, no doubt about that!

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Why are you asking us to help you with this decision. I suppose that if your wife reacts badly you will blame us and ask for a whip round to help with the divorce costs.

Don't be a wimp, be a real man and...............................claim that you must have misread the webpage and didn't realize it was that large.

4. Maninblack

Maninblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    That worked for me!
    Once youve got it setup, she should love it !

5. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    PB2+ eh? I think 'door to door' is always best. The air carriers will arrange the crane hire and low loader at your end.

Just warn your wife she'll be making tea for eight friends from work. (8 is the normal delivery crew but might vary locally) A cake would be nice if she can manage it.

Get the crew to help you shift the PB2+ off the pallet while she's in the kitchen making the tea and she won't notice a thing. Take my word for it.

Done this way, the crew can take the pallet away with them. Unless you need a ready-made floor for a decent garden workshop?

Hope this helps?

Nimby

6. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    hmm....thanks guys, but the problem may have shifted slightly.....she may have just found out, explaining why I just woke up on the sofa :thumbsdow ....and i seem to remember the words "there's no :censored: way.....". This is partly exacerbated by the fact that in the last few months I have also upgraded my amp, centre and front speakers and amp, and I think she may have wanted to go on holiday this summer :blush: . So, given the fact that it's coming, but it's not going to get in the house, could I please have some set-up tips and some idea of what a PB2+ will sound like in a 6x3 garden shed??

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    On a slightly different angle I wonder how many women who have refused to allow their partner to have an SVS on the grounds that they didn't want something that large in the house do themselves take up more room in the house than average.

I don't suppose that would be a valid argument though.

8. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    No comment Ian! :rotfl: Mine is smaller than our 16-46. :blush:

I can never understand why anyone should get upset up about a large sub when the sofa, sideboard, wardrobes, kitchen cabinets & beds etc.. vastly exceed the volume of even the "nicest" sub. The wasted space beneath the average dining table is huge in comparison with any sub.

Is there some new rule which takes over from "normal" furniture when an "AV equipment" label applies? Not that I would recommend the sub be placed where it would alter normal (indoor) traffic patterns.

A large sub is really not necessary in a small room compared with a larger one. So common sense should hopefully apply. The best thing is how quickly you forget the sub is there when sensibly placed. If all your kit is black (like mine) it just becomes a part of the whole and is quickly ignored when placed between TV and floorstanders.

Remember that this is a territorial issue where partners are concerned. It's no use using it as an armoured weapon in an attempt to take territory from your better half. You must treat it as a trojan horse that is to be invited in.

Covering any sub with a cloth and placing a familiar object on top (except when it's used as intended) is always a solution to placate the seriously house-proud partner. It is a mark of ownership by the partner and should be accepted with an encouraging smile. (The trojan horse has been accepted)
    Not a houseplant though as water will ruin almost any sub.

Making the (initial) placing the partner's choice might help. Then live with it without complaint long enough for it to be accepted as "part of the furniture". Later (as a casual question) you might ask whether it might be better elsewhere and what do they think about it? :)

Be sensible. Don't leave the packaging in the middle of the living room and wires trailing everywhere while you play deafening test tones to terrify the kids! :devil:

The most ardent, AV loving partner is going to be miffed by that sort of behaviour. Put the sub somewhere sensible first, tidy up and then keep the level very low. Your partner may suggest they can't hear anything! Then you can increase the level a little at a time at their suggestion on some of their favourite music. But if they aren't in the mood for noise then don't persist. Leave it to simmer and an oportunity will present itself later. Curiosity is a natural human trait. Even in a partner. ;)

If you have to break off your first listening session to take the partner shopping then simply drop everything and go without complaint. Build confidence at every opportunity and you will pave the way for possible future upgrades. So don't make it into "the sub goes or I go" confrontation in the first place.

How to get the sub indoors to start with is quite another matter. :suicide:
    And will be dealt with in Chapter Two. :cool:

Nimby

9. MickB

MickB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Juniper,
    Know what you're going through mate, my PB2+ has only just been accepted, and as Nimby sez, its worth actually suggesting a cloth & ornament are allowed to sit on top.

A tactic I used, predicting a domestic on the scale of 'The day after Tomorrow' when she found out what I'd ordered, was to soften the blow beforehand by talking about something with an even lower WAF, eg show her pictures of the Genelec HTS6 (6ft x 2ft), then announce that you've decided on something more more acceptable, ie compromised for her sake! :devil:

Unfortunately a lot of the good-will went out the window when I actually switched it on.... :oops:

C'est La vie.

10. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Im lucky, mines encouraging me to buy it, she cant wait to hear Titan AE without the bass distortion from the Yamaha Sub. She was a little taken back by the actual size of the sub, but is convinced it will be smaller in the flesh...............sort of the opposite of.......... :devil: never mind