Question SVS PB13U Bash Amp died. THREAD RESURRECTION!

Moviebuff

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Went to have a blast of the old hi fi today, fired up some fave tunes and it became apparent that not all was as it should be! :-(

The LED light on one of my SVS's was flashing between red and green and in appears that it is dead.
Just a long shot, but has anyone had any success in getting the BASH amp repaired, and without spending an irksome amount, what are my options - if any?

Cheers in advance.

Jerry

Drop SVS a line and they should come back pretty quickly - might be a couple of hundred quid for a new amp, which would be a bit of a PITA, but might just be easier to get a guaranteed, new, working unit from the off, rather than chasing faults round it via a third party electronics place! (Although the latter may well be cheaper if they can fix it quickly!)

You could always unscrew and remove the amp to see what looks broken, if anything!

Drop SVS a line and they should come back pretty quickly - might be a couple of hundred quid for a new amp, which would be a bit of a PITA, but might just be easier to get a guaranteed, new, working unit from the off, rather than chasing faults round it via a third party electronics place! (Although the latter may well be cheaper if they can fix it quickly!)

You could always unscrew and remove the amp to see what looks broken, if anything!

Many thanks for the reply.

I have been in contact today with both SVS and Karma. The replacement is £350 inc, so thought I'd sound out other potential options.

Ouch!

That's more than I thought it would be...

Ouch!

That's more than I thought it would be...

Agree - And It's more than I want to pay - hence trying to look at alternative options. :-(

Agree - And It's more than I want to pay - hence trying to look at alternative options. :-(

Well, I bit the bullet & paid the price, and that was not an inconsiderable £670 inc for two x 1000 watt Sledge plates, and they are supposed to arrive today!

I can hear your credit card crying from here... lol

Still, you will effectively have two new subs with monster output for £700, which is good value when compared to a BK Monolith that is 500-odd quid!

Fitted the amps this afternoon - re-ran XT32 for 8 positions, and increased the gain on the subs by 5dBs's, as to me, it sounded slightly lightweight.

They sound stunning! :)

Sweet, a good result in the end! Alwaya a pain spending cash unexpectedly but the benefits often quickly dissipate the initial hassle :)

Sweet, a good result in the end! Alwaya a pain spending cash unexpectedly but the benefits often quickly dissipate the initial hassle :)

Actually, it gets slightly better. As I purchased two of the amps, SVS & Karma gave me a 10% discount after a bit of pleading, so the total came to £620. The amps are also warranted for 5 years!

You never know Moviebuff, you to might get an Xmas card from SVS:D

Coincidentally, the Sledge amp in my SB13 Plus sub's decided to pack up. I've taken it out for a look-see but there's nothing obviously smoked. Seems a shame to fork out for a whole new amp when I suspect it'd be quite easy to fix.

I'll ask around on a DIY audio forum I frequent & see if I can get some suggestions.

A thread resurrection - looks like one of my subs has just gone South gain - we were watching a movie tonight, and my missus asked me what was clicking? Tracked it down fairly quickly to one of the PB13U's. Just have to ascertain whether it's the drive unit or the Sledge amp! Other than the click, no LF output!

Gutted is an understatement, and this SVS ownership is starting to look expensive. Currently still working, as I'm a keyworker, so will have to find some time to diagnose further, when time allows, as working 6x12 hour shifts this week.

Just to add, my system doesn't get a lot of use, and is lightly driven. Not happy with my SVS's at the moment ....... 😭

Last edited:
A thread resurrection - looks like one of my subs has just gone South gain - we were watching a movie tonight, and my missus asked me what was clicking? Tracked it down fairly quickly to one of the PB13U's. Just have to ascertain whether it's the drive unit or the Sledge amp! Other than the click, no LF output!

Gutted is an understatement, and this SVS ownership is starting to look expensive. Currently still working, as I'm a keyworker, so will have to find some time to diagnose further, when time allows, as working 6x12 hour shifts this week.

Just to add, my system doesn't get a lot of use, and is lightly driven. Not happy with my SVS's at the moment ....... 😭

I know that feeling with electronics failing. Sucks big time! :mad:

Contact Ed Mullen, he can help you tracking the issue and further help you getting the parts.
[email protected]

There is the newest amp also available, likely won´t be cheap.. But the PB13U is still impressive beast and hopefully there is way to fix it without selling kidney!

Very unlikely that it's the driver. No way you're popping that thing. It will be the fuse in the amp, or the amp itself. Easy DiY fix though even if it is the amp.

A new Sledge amp was around £300 IIRC.

Very unlikely that it's the driver.

A new Sledge amp was around £300 IIRC.

I've just spent the last hour trying to determine the problem, and have now confirmed that it is the Sledge amp that has in some way failed. I swapped the amps over, with my other PB13U, and the drive unit is fine.

The amp powers/display lights up, and you can cycle through the menu system, but that's as far as it goes. Gutted.

I only purchased these amps in Nov 2014, and did both at the same time, knowing that as one of my BASH amps had failed after seven years, the other was likely to fail as well as some point, given the increasing problems that had been highlighted with them. I didn't expect I would be in the same position some 5 years later, having laid out £620 for two amps, that haven't had massive use over that time, and only a shade outside their warranty period.

I will explore my options - and will email both Ed and Karma to see what those options may be.

Just to add, having looked closely at the circuit board etc, there is nothing that has obviously blown / no burnt out component that is visibly noticeable.

I am sure that so close to the warranty expiry and the fact that you bought them to replace previous ones, that Ed and Karam will work out a goodwill gesture towards it.

The service from EMO and Karma has been excellent for me in the past. I too had a failed BASH amp a while back.

Just to add, having looked closely at the circuit board etc, there is nothing that has obviously blown / no burnt out component that is visibly noticeable.

Karma may be able to fix it, you never know.

I have sent an email to both SVS & Karma, and have provided a link to this thread in the email. Hopefully a repair can be achieved, as I'm really loathe to spend out any more money on replacement amps!

Well talk about an exceptional response from both SVS & Karma!!!!!

As the Sledge has failed so near to the expired warranty, SVS have treated it as a warranty claim and are sending a new 1200D as a replacement! They also recommended that I change the other amp as well, to keep things balanced, and let me purchase a 2nd amp at a special discount.

To say I am chuffed would be a complete understatement, and I'd like to publically thank both KarmaAV & SVS for their stunning customer service. It has to be said, that in my near 54 years, it has to be some of the best customer care I have been lucky enough to receive. So thank you Karma and Tom @ Karma for his auber quick response, and all at SVS, for the kind of attitude to aftersales support, that should be an inspiration to all manufactuers, no matter what the sphere they operate in.

Thankyou one and all. 🙂👍

Excellent. Well done to SVS and Karma.

Both STA-1200D's arrived today, ready for when I have time to fit them.

Great service from SVS & Karma - thanks again to both Ed (SVS) & Tom (Karma). Top customer care and went above & beyond. 🙂👍

Will update this thread, when all is up and running.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom