1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SVS PB12 Ultra or Ultra/2?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by AngelEyes, Jul 17, 2005.

1. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,455
    I have had my heart set on the PB12 Ultra/2 for ages and have just been saving up. I am kinda worried I am going over the top, will I really notice the difference/will my wife leave me/will I care?

room is approx 6x6m with an open doorway into hall and open stairwell to 1st floor. We mostly watch movies at moderate-loud levels (damn kids!)

Thanking you!

2. Gary_W

Gary_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi

I have a PB12+ on order.

This is the next model down from the Ultra, and is obviously just the single driver. I've yet to receive it (the colour I want is out of stock) so I cannot say for definate how it performs.

What I can say is that I emailed SVS for advice and they were superb. I was unsure as to whether to go for the plus or the ultra, and they talked me down to the plus. Which strikes me as pretty honest.

They seemed to say that the difference between the plus and the ultra was pretty minute. In fact, the exact term the chap used was 'the Plus is 95% of what the ultra is for 75% of the price'. He went on to say that whilst the Ultra is undoubtedly the better product, the difference is incredibly subtle and is unlikely to show its class until you really turn up the volume. When added to the fact that I don't intend to crank the system full blast, he basically said that the Ultra would not be worth the extra money in my case.

Your room is bigger than ours (ours is about 6.7 meters by 4 meters and does not have the open stairwells etc) so I can see why the 2 driver version is appealing. Depends how loud you want it, but have you considered the PB12+/2? It still has dual drivers, but is $800 cheaper than the dual coned ultra. Once you've added VAT etc, that's a saving of £550.

Sorry to all the folks out there that already have these and can talk from genuine experience as opposed to myself (an excited bloke waiting for his new toy :D ). I just think that emailing Ron S at SVS is worthwhile here when the extra cost is so much for power that may never be used??

Gary

3. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Having owned both the Plus/2 and (currently) the Ultra/2 I would definitely go for the Ultra-driver, budget allowing. To me the difference wasn't so subtle, although both will be a vast improvement over your Yamaha sub. My room is 5m x 5m with an open kitchen, the sub is about adequate for my taste (=loud). For best performance my sub is placed 'dead center' in my virtual room (dimensions room+kitchen), next to the opening to the kitchen. Being a squarish room I couldn't place it in a corner, taking away some of the maximum possible head room. I am very happy with the result and wouldn't trade mine away for anything less than 2 x PB12-Ultra, or maybe 2 x Onix UFW-12.

4. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Angel Eyes - I own a PB12+/2, having upgraded from an MJ Acoustics Pro 100, and all that I can say is that the difference was/is staggering. As the MJ is a twin driver £600 sub, its entirely fair to say that it would outperform your Yamaha, and so to answer your question "will I notice the difference", then there is only one answer!

The absolute extension, depth and quality of bass that you get from SVS subs still staggers me, and I've had mine for well over a year now. I have mine in a dedicated room of approximately 9m x 6m, and all I can say is that its all the bass I'll ever need. Do I want more? Well yes, but then having experienced just what an SVS can do, it opens up your ears to a whole new world. Having said that, if you crank up the volume, then the PB12+/2 will give you bass to make your trousers flap and will literally shake your house should you want it to. When you play scenes like the sonic gun blast from Minority Report, the bass will quite literally hit you in the chest and you feel like you've been shot too :smashin: Of course, as Ettepet says, the Ultra/2 will give you even more than this.

I'd sum up by saying that if you are likely to suffer from upgradeitis, then the rule should be to buy the best you can afford. If all you are looking for however is something to give you a whole hell of a lot more bass, and that you'll be satisfied with that, then you could save a fair bit of money with a less expensive SVS product. Either way, buy with confidence from them, their customer service is nothing short of totally exceptional, both before and (more importantly if you need it) after your purchase.

5. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,233
    I have recently purchased a 20-39PC+ cylinder and use it in a room approx 5.5m x 3m and am truly astonished at the impact and depth this sub delivers.

I was about to purchase a new PB10-ISD when a used 20-39 came up for sale on this forum which I was able to buy for around the same price asw a new PB10.

I have not regretted my purchase one jot.The bass from the SVS is awsome,first movie I listned to was Flight of The Phoenix I nearly shat myself when the storm hit the plane.The whole house was shaking and my chest was pumelled with the bass.

Now your room is larger and more importantly it opens up into other rooms in your house so I am sure you may need a sub with more output than my 20-39PC+ if you want to listen at or near reference level and also to pressurise your listening room.

I would recomend you e-mail Ron Stimson (a partner in SVS) with your room dimensions for his advice in which sub to go for.

Ron will be honest and will not try to sell you something overspecd and overpriced,but will tell you exactly what you need.

6. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,455
    Thanks for the feedback guys, I love hearing these SVS stories, just gets the juices flowing even more! I am starting to move towards the single driver PB12 Ultra as I am not sure I will need the extra ooomph! :eek:

I'll email Ron and see what he has to say.

7. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Get the Ultra twin driver, if you don't you will always think.............."I wonder.........?
    I have the pb12+2 and love it to bits but I still wish I had saved up for the Ultra twin driver!
    I doubt I would tell the difference but I still wish I had one :rolleyes:

8. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,455
    Still no reply from SVS... :(

9. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,233
    That's strange,when did you send them an e-mail,they usually respond same day.I have had e-mails from Ron at midnight on a Saturday.Their service is usually first class,who did you send your e-mail too and what e-mail address did you use.

Ron sometimes is out of the office for a day or two,but if you send to sales@svsubwoofers.com or erik@svsubwoofers.com I am sure you should get a fast response. Rons email is rons@svsubwoofers.com in case you did'nt know.

Let us know how you get on?.

10. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,455
  11. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,455
    Ron got back to me and apologised for missing the 1st email. He even offered a free t-Shirt when I order.

We had quite a chat, which was great and he was very helpful with recommendations and positioning. If you ever have any doubt about choosing a manufacturer these guys go well out of their to help. 5 stars so far! :)

I have decided on the PB12 Ultra as it is still probably more than I will ever use and is small enough (!) to fit in an alcove next to my Inglenook fireplace, which is just perfect.

A tip for those trying to convince their wives:

Do NOT build a carboard mockup to try out positions in the room!!!! These things are HUGE!

I will have to wait a few weeks for the veneer/convince the wife but I'll photograph everything and let you know how it goes!!

12. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,233
    AngelEyes

Glad you finally had a chat with Ron, this companies products & service is really first class.I am sure that Ron would not oversell you a product and will guide you to exactly to what you need.I hope that you will soon be ordering your new SVS sub and be like me and a few dozen other menbers on here in SUB WOOFER HEAVEN.

Just get that pile of BASS heavy demo DVD's stacked up ready to what will be a truly awsome first experience of true house crumbling,gut wrenching,bad ass BASS!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. ashley duggan

ashley duggan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same dilemma,the svs pb12 or the pb12 ultra 2,the box or the cylinder.I like it loud and at the moment my room is 15ft by 15 ft with the stairs open from this room up to the landing.Eventually i will move house probably with an enclosed and longer room app 20 ft long.The size of the sub doesn't matter to me because being single my whole room is dedicated to home cinema and i have no wife to think of especially regarding furniture etc etc.I just don't want to waste money on something that is not needed,but at the same time i want the best that i can afford ( the ultra 2,i can afford) obviously it's a detached property.

14. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,233
    Ashley

Both the subs you mention are box subs,the cylinder if using an ultra driver would be a 20-39 (or whatever tune you decide on) PC Ultra which would easily fill and pressurise a room 20ft long (width and height unknown).As recomended to angel eyes e-mail Ron with room sizes and details of what you will be listening to (movies or music or both) and whether you want to listen at or near reference level and he will recomend which is best for you.

Don't know where you are but there are plenty of SVS owners around the country and I am sure someone would be happy to give you a demo to hear and feeeel real bass quality.

15. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,835
    No offence but if the width and height are unknown it's impossible to say whether the PC Ultra would fill it adequately.

Alot comes down to tuning, alot comes down to listening levels. I had a PC-Ultra in a a small room (3.5 x 3m) and I was still able to bottom it out on demanding material in the 16hz tuning configuration - this on a calibrated system running at close to reference level.

If you can afford it then without a doubt go for the Pb-12 Ultra/2, and even if your room is reasonably small you don't know what will happen in the future and you may end up with a bigger room:) Headroom is your friend, wallet and space allowing:)

Incidentally I've just bought another SVS PB-12 Plus/2 and having owned one before and a PC-Ultra (in the same room), I would definately say there is a noticeable difference in the tone between these two drivers. Not related directly to the original question, but if anyone IS contemplating either the Plus or the Ultra...definately go for the Ultra....

16. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,233
    Smurfin

No offence taken,I was assuming that the room would be no bigger than 20'x15'x8' as Ashley said he was currently in a 15x15 room and may move to a 20' long room (agreed no possible height was mentioned).As you say it is possible to bottom out a sub but I would think that you would have to be listening at insane levels or not have the sub set up properly in that size room especially if the room was enclosed.

I know my 20-39 PC+ really rocks and I listen at LOUD volumes in a room 5.5m x 3m x 2.5m, but as I said earlier Ashley should send Ron an e-mail with his room dimensions and see what he would recomend.And Ashley should also try and demo a sub if possible.

17. ashley duggan

ashley duggan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From information that i've gathered it's down to one of the above,but i've been told that if i plan on plugging two ports on the sub ( dropping the extension down to 16hz ) then the pb12-ultra2 might be needed;you give up output in exchange for depth. Please forgive my ignorance but what does this mean in layman's terms.Also,i'm definitely going for door to door which includes brokerage fees but what local administrive fees might i get at what costs? As i've said before my room is 15ft wide 20ft long and 8ft high.

18. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,233
    Ashley

Either of the two subs you are looking at are able to be tuned down (lower the frequency of Hz) by using the supplied port bungs(one or two) but when you lower the tune you also reduce the output (loudness).This is why SVS have said that if you plan to block both ports to get down to 16Hz and lower you may need the Ultra driver to ensure you don't overdrive and bottom out the sub.

As far as shipping is concerned there is I think 4.5% import duty and 17-1/2% vat + £10 document fee to BAX Global (the shipping agents) due at this end on top of The cost of the sub and shipping fee payable to SVS.

So whilst you can get a deeper sound you are reducing the capacity to fill your room with bass.This can also cause possible bottoming out(when the sub produces the very low frequencies) in a sub if you overdrive it(turn the sub volume up to compensate for the lower output).

19. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,455
    Hi Ashley,

Can I ask why you are considering a twin drive sub? I only as because Ron had suggested to me that the single pb12 Ultra would probably be more than enough for the room I am using which is very similiar to the dimensions of yours (16 x 25 x 8).

I have 'settled' for the PB12 Ultra as I genuinely feel that I won't push the sub all that hard. I have 2 kids under 4 and the opportunities to play at near reference levels are pretty few and far between. I would probably not notice the difference if I bought a lower model still, because the difference between my current sub and ANY SVS is likely to be unbelieveble (I hope!)

Email Ron and let us know what you decide. rons@svsubwoofers.com

20. Gary_W

Gary_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    In a fit of hypocrisy (after saying have you considered the plus model) I also 'settled' on a PB12-Ultra. I worked it out as a £200 difference. As I have the amount in question, I knew I'd get an attack of the 'what if' as soon as it arrived had I stuck with the plus. SVS advised me that the plus would be plenty, but I kept reading opinions to the effect that the ultra sounded better at lower volumes too. So I cancelled the order for the plus and went for the Ultra.

I take it that, like me, you are waiting for them to get some more cabinets in? I've had it on order for a month now and the suspense is getting to me :eek:

Last I heard was SVS are expecting the cabinets any day now. But they've been hoping that for over a week. The cabinets are imported and apparantly stuck in customs en route to the factory.

I do hope the same doesn't happen at this end when they ship it.

Gary

21. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,233
    God Gary how can you stand the wait,if I was without my SVS fix for more than 24hrs I would get withdrawall symptoms.It would be worse than cold turkey I am a bassaholic since shooting up with an SVS.

22. MarekFIN

MarekFIN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would rather take 2 PB12-Ultra than 1 PB-Ultra/2. The price difference should should notbe to big, and you would get stereo subwoofersound!

23. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,835
    ...which, dependant on the room, may be a nightmare to setup and not worth your while. Though it could also bring benefits... (and I believe the price difference is significant)

24. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,455
    I haven't ordered yet, as I'm running my own business; (*shameless plug* Creative Freedom *shameless plug*) I am waiting for a large project to be finalised so I can justify the purchase to the old ball and... I mean wonderful wife! :D

Hopefully I will place the order in the next couple of weeks! :clap:

25. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    The combined volumes of two PB12 Ultras would be greater than a single Ultra/2. Co-located these might well offer increased headroom over a single Ultra/2. But at higher expense and increased space requirements in the room.

The pair might work for stereo bass if the listening room was large enough to avoid serious cancellation/reinforcement issues and each sub was placed close to its corresponding main speaker.

Nimby