SVS : PB12 Ultra or PC Ultra ?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by skinnyfat, Mar 27, 2006.

1. skinnyfat

skinnyfat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Greetings :)
    Have never heard a SVS sub before:eek: (difficult to get where I live) but I will soon be moving to where it is much easier to get one:clap: , hence my question. Are there discernable differences between the two apart from the obvious shapes of the two :D .
    Thanks in advance:thumbsup:

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The SVS boys will say that there isn't a difference but one or two users (Gonzo specifically) who have tried both think that the cylinder is easier to position successfully but who's to say that in a different room it might not be the other way around.

3. skinnyfat

skinnyfat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah hah, cylinder makes sense for positioning,.... can I assume that all things being even the performance of the two is pretty similar?

4. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,093
    Assuming you are moving to US/Canada where you can still get the cylinders,I doubt there is much difference soundwise between the two models.

PC's are a little cheaper and some have had problems with positioning the box subs, and have found the cylinders to be less fussy with regard placement.

5. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    The box version comes in nicer finishes and could be mistaken for some large piece of furniture.

6. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Cylinder's ports point upwards, whereas the boxes ports may end up pointing quite close towards a wall. So, from that point of view that may make a difference.

7. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I found the pc range in my room to sound much better than the box version.Some other members have also had set up struggles also with the box subs i think chris Geary off the forums had a 20-39 pc+ then a pb+ he found the box sub to be more difficult of the two to get set up right, i myself would stick with the tubes, shame you cant buy them in europe anymore.

8. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +255
    although i have owned both the 20-39PC+ cylinder and my current PB12+, neither have been in the same room. But it seemed to me that the rear firing PB12+ was harder to integrate than the PC+.

By moving the PB12+ from firing into the left wall to firing into the corner directly, the perceived room response changed from sounding like it was coming fro the left to sounding like it was more inthe middle of the room.

I doubt very much that a top firing cylinder would have had that problem.

That said, the PBs do look great in their wood finishes and my GF prefers the box to the cylinder, but my heart is still with my old PC+.

9. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +700
    Just out of interest can I suggest that someone tries standing their box SVS sub up on one end? So the port(s) fire upwards. Just as an experiment and do protect your finish with a blanket or somethig soft before you give your precious the "dying fly" treatment.

It might work better against a wall to simulate downfiring but against a wall instead. The same boundary effect should be obtained fiom the wall as from the floor. It might prove something about ports needing to be pointing upwards into free space like the cylinders.

It might not achieve anything at all of course. But if you are struggling to get a flat response in a particular room or fixed position it might be worth a try. Just don't do any damage to your sub and then blame me. :nono:

I tried my cylinder back in the corner again and it was as awful as I remembered from last time. All soft, loud and bloated. It works much better 8-9 ft from the corner without losing anything in outright power. Away from the corner it is hard-hitting and as light-footed as a heavyweight boxer. Ideal for music and film.

10. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    I bought a PC-Ultra(with which I'm very happy) with positioning the thing being one of the reasons for buying a cylinder sub.....our lounge already has a fair amount of furnishings etc around,and I was quite sure that my wife wouldnt take kindly to a coffin sized sub anywhere in the room.

Placing and getting a good position for the Ultra has been pretty easy,and the relatively small footprint has made that aspect much easier,even if it is quite tall,but it's surprising how quickly you forget something that size if it doesnt eat up too much floor space.