SVS PB12-Plus/2 and PB12-Ultra/2

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Loner, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Loner

Loner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all!

Has anyone heard these two subs? I'm trying to get a sense on what the differences may be. Yes, the ultra is the better driver, but is it worth that much more?

Ian J....anyone? :clap:

Either way, I better start working out with the weights again before this beast shows up....... :rotfl:

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I'm afraid that I've only heard the PB12-Plus/2 which is a fine sub indeed and there won't be a huge amount of real world difference between that and the Ultra driver and those small differences will be mostly apparent at very high volume levels anyway.

3. say1

say1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  4. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,635
    I can't speak for the Ultra 2 but I have heard the + and +2 and own an Ultra.

I heard the + and +2 in a demo room and can't comment on how well they were setup but personally preferred the sound and feel of my ultra to the more expensive +2. It seems to have more impact at lower frequencies but that may have a lot to do with the different rooms.

There was definately a lot of difference between the + and my Ultra and if your room is not too small and you can afford it I suspect the Ultra 2 will sound amazing. However even the +2 is a great sub and will be more than enough for most serious bass heads :)

Originally I was going to buy the Ultra2 but after a few emails to Ron at SVS I decided on the Ultra, a decision I certainly don't regret. My room just wouldn't get the most out of an Ultra2.

Contact SVS I am sure they will help you make your decision!

Adam

5. Steve N

Steve N
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,391
    I have heard both.
    I tried a Plus/2 before buying an Ultra/2
    The Plus/2 impressed me very much. It was tight, fast and went very deep.
    On the strength of this audition I bought the ultra/2 from another forum member.
    It sounded astonishing to me straight 'out of the box' so to speak.
    I then bought a BFD (from another member) who also set it up for me.
    It is simply the best sub I have ever heard and I have demo'ed plenty over the years.
    It is difficult to give an objective comparison of the two, as the first was in a dedicated HC room, whereas my set-up is in a fairly large L shaped lounge/diner. This room completely defeated my previous Rel Stadium III which always sounded boomy.
    The bottom line is:- get the Ultra/2 if you can find one, it is incredible. If you can't, I am sure you will be impressed with the Plus/2.

6. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,635
    Loner is in California so shouldn't have any problem finding one at SVS :thumbsup:

(Loner: Ultra subs are not available in the UK anymore :( )

7. Steve N

Steve N
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,391
    Lucky devil :D

8. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,635
    I am sure he is saying the same thing about us mate...

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

9. Loner

Loner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks guys! The room is such an important part to all this....makes it difficult to compare the two if they're in different rooms.:suicide:

I've spoken (emailed) to Tom and Ron quite a few times. Tom basically said that I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between the two and would probably not have a preference for one over the other.....assuming I was listening at moderate levels. At higher levels, the extra headroom with the Plus/2 would win out. This was a comparison between the Plus/2 and single Ultra.

AE, you preferred the single Ultra over the Plus/2. Did you play both at various volume levels, including near reference? Was distortion an issue?

SN, it sounds like you were strictly comparing the dual drivers only. Were you also listening at various volume levels, including near reference? Was distortion an issue?

As has been stated so many times, the Plus/2, for $100 more than the single Ultra, is such a bargain!:smashin:

The room that one of these beasts would be going into is a family room, about 25'L x 13'W x 8' H. There's also only one place to put it.....:eek:

Yup, I'm fortunate for not having to find one. How come the UK can't get the Ultra's? Does it have to do with that CE thingamajing? (very technical:D )

10. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,635
    The demo where I heard all the other + subs was at AV Sales with Ron from SVS demoing the SBS1 5.1 system with a selection of subs. They never really pushed the subs that hard and I couldn't tell the difference between the + and the +2. Most of the people there were very impressed but at similiar volumes at home I get more of the 'chest thumping' feeling from the Ultra.

*edit* This has probably got a lot to do with the room EQ I have spent the time on which is never possible for a demo.

Obviously I have run the ultra very loud (too loud to listen too for a whole film as my other speakers distort :rolleyes: ) so I am happy that it can go louder than I will ever want it to.

As you said the room is the major factor, mine is relatively small... 15 x 18 x 8ft but it is open to the hallway and has an open staircase so it does take some filling.

In my opinion the +2 and the ultra are very similiar in performance but the ultra is significantly smaller in size which was the deciding factor for me and my room positioning. I am not convinced the +2 is that much better though. I certainly didn't consider it when I was weighing things up, ultra all the way :thumbsup:

11. Steve N

Steve N
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,391
    Yes, you are right, I was only comparing the dual drivers.
    The first machine was thoroughly tested with various movies and music at various volume levels, but not at reference levels.
    It was on the strength of this that I felt confident in buying the Ultra, which I did not have the opportunity to test.
    Since getting the Ultra I have thrown everything at it, and nothing comes close to pushing it to distortion. I have also played music at very low levels and it behaves impeccably, just coming in on the lower frequencies when needed.
    In your position I would definitely go for the Ultra/2.
    The Plus/2 is a fine machine and I would have got one if I hadn't had the luck to find the Ultra/2.
    However, with the Ultra/2 you know, whatever you throw at it, it handles everything with ease and authority.
    I am very much of the mindset of getting the best I can afford, rather than regretting not doing so later on.
    Just look at the size of the drivers in the Ultra compared to those in the Plus. The Ultras are huge.
    Get the Ultra/2 and relax in the knowledge that you will not be wondering if you have done the right thing later on.

12. Steve N

Steve N
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,391
    Hi Angel, that's an interesting finding.
    It suggest that if the Plus/2 is more or less comparable to your single driver Ultra, then the Ultra/2 must perform better than the Plus/2.

It's only logical really. Why would SVS build the Ultra's if the difference is not going to be significant.

13. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,635
    As I said it was hard to tell but neither the + or +2 made me smile like my Ultra does at home. As pointed out the Ultra is only $100 less than the +2 so SVS must feel the performace is similiar too.

At a guess I would say the +2 gives more headroom where the ultra has a better overal performance and possible goes slightly lower but that is just speculation. :)

It would be great to hear a head-to-head comparison and record all the figures :thumbsup:

14. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Having owned both drivers + and ultras i can say the ultra driver has a much more composed and powerful sound at higher levels if i had the choice i would buy the ultra every time it can take more stick than the + driver can so no need to worry at highish volumes on bass heavy dvds. I did find the + weakness on the incredibles on the scene where the rocket takes off on the island at -10db where the ultra pulls it off very well, At normal listening levels though the + models are all that you will sanely need but iam a bass nut :D
    PS the dual subs though in + or ultras shouldnt have any trouble reaching tab torturing levels.

15. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +700
    I read somewhere that the plus driver has had a lot of upgrades over time which have raised it to the level where the Ultra may only be marginally better.
    Despite the Ultra driver needing a similar workover, on the scale of the plus, owners still claim an extra degree of finesse and absolute welly.
    Were they available over here I would still want an Ultra. If only to be satisfied I had the best available SVS at the time.
    And just to know I had that gorgeous driver hidden away inside.

16. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I've read rumours on both upgrades to the PB12-Plus (now?) and the Ultra-driver (end of year?). :)

Personally I'm waiting till 15" or 18" driver models find their way. :devil:

17. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    well you might be able to swap the drivers out for the newer range if they were of similar dimensions and you didnt mind paying out.

18. Loner

Loner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can you imagine the size/weight of a dual 18" Ultra?:eek: :eek: :eek: I'd need to make an addition to my house just to fit the monster!:rotfl: :rotfl: And moving it around?............:rolleyes:

I just emailed Tom to see what's "coming down the pike" re driver upgrades etc.

Thanks again guys for all the input! I hear what you're saying regarding the Ultra driver. The Plus/2 will have 3-4 db more headroom than a single Ultra...that's one advantage it has over the Ultra. I really don't expect to be using the beast at reference levels often.

Time to take some in room measurements comparing the Plus and Ultra beasts.:suicide: :thumbsup:

19. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It will come with it's own motorised trolley attached for ease of manouvrability.

20. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +700
    I believe the physical size and weight limits have already been reached in domestic subwoofers. :thumbsdow

A neat, domestically-acceptable, modular construction would probably be the best way forwards for those seeking greater output with lower distortion. :smashin:

Multiple, securely-stackable, smaller units rather than large, single pieces of furniture might work. This also offers the buyer an upgrade ladder where more modules could be added as funds permit. :)

The manufacturers of larger subwoofers have almost certainly exceeded domestic acceptibility with their larger offerings. Hardly a day passes when AV fans don't mention SWMBO and WAF on their favorite forum! Even in dedicated HTs in large American homes the rumblings of marginal partner acceptance are often heard. In smaller, European hovels the problem is greatly exacerbated! :nono:

Not all home theatres or music listening rooms are on the same level as the road outside. In fact the converse is usually true. Pallet trucks are not domestically friendly! They don't climb steps or stairs at all. Not all truck drivers are built like Arnie or are remotely as helpful. :rolleyes:

I'd need a hole in the roof and a crane to get anything that large and heavy into my attic listening room. It took two of us a real struggle to get a cylinder up the steep, narrow stairs in its box. You may well imagine how both of us felt at that particular moment. I was nervous about the performance of something I'd never even heard before ordering online. She was simply dwarfed by the new object in our lives. :rolleyes:

Given the usually-frought situation when a partner is challenged with a large, new, very expensive, incredibly heavy, foreign object in their territory this is not the best time to be seeking sympathy. Particularly not asking for help in getting the objectus horribilis into its final resting place! :eek:

21. Steve N

Steve N
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,391