SVS PB12+ Placement

d.waters

Established Member
Reaction score
I've noted various comments in posts regarding large box subs such as the above and using them as coffee tables, etc. I know there is an element of 'tongue-in-cheek', however, has anyone tried putting another speaker on top of one, such as one of the left or right front speakers (assuming they are the bookshelf variety)? If so, did it work? I notice that this sub is about 25" high, which is about the height of a speaker stand.

I once had my centre speaker on top of my sub for a while, whilst waiting for a cabinet to be built, and it seemed to work fine.

Thanks

With my "lesser" PB12-ISD I find the cabinet vibrates quite a bit under load. I'd be worried about the sub colouring the output of a speaker sat atop it. You could provide some for of isolation under the speaker but I have no experience of such gizmos!

Hello Malice, I have a Q's regarding the SVS products in general. Do you know anything about complaints with this company? Any type of complaints at all?
Thanks!

They are packed very good, arriving on a pallet and wrapped up securely. Once you remove the wrap holding the box onto the pallet and open the box you will find the actual sub protected by alot of very firm foam padding, and the sub is covered in a large cloth.

The build quality of the sub is of a very high standard, my brothers job involves alot of high end wood work and he was also very impressed with the quality. Everything is fitted perfectely from the ports to the plate amp.

In action it blows me and anyone else away who has heard it in action.

Any problems i have heard about SVS subs have been dealt with quickly, efficently and as good as you could hope for if the worst did happen. Although i don't think i have heard that many bad experiences, and the ones i have seen have been resolved without problems.

Two real complaints. The first is the weight causing back ache if you move it by yourself. The second is the ability to find bad quality workmanship in your house which the sub might worsen with extreme low bass output.

Do some searching im sure you will see they are very well built and of top quality.

To the opening poster im sure if you have to place a bookshelf speaker ontop of the sub it would be fine. Anything that has rested ontop of mine hasn't moved at all when its in action, they are very sturdy and while they cause everything else to shake the sub just sits there solid and firm.

Hello Malice, I have a Q's regarding the SVS products in general. Do you know anything about complaints with this company? Any type of complaints at all?
Thanks!

Complaints about the product should be firstly aimed at SVS's authorised reseller in the UK, AV-Sales.

Complaints about the company itself, e.g. trading practices, ethical issues, should be addressed directly to SVS via their web site.

I don't think anyone would make representations that the SVS products are flawless, but when problems do arise they are dealt with promptly and professionally, from what I have read and experienced myself. This even extends to SVS's 45 day money back guarantee if the sub does not work out as planned.

Why do you ask? Do you have a specific complaint?

Bob

Thanks for all the replies. I was thinking of replacing my single M&K 860 sub with 2 SVS SB12+ subs sometime this summer, which I have discussed before. However, I would much rather have a single large sub. The idea of using it as a 'speaker stand' was just a thought as it would open up greater flexibility in terms of placement. I know that when I had me centre on top of my current sub, there were no problems, in fact, it sounded better than its previous location, which was on top of my TV (before I got the plasma).

My next decision is which large box sub? I can more easily accommodate the dimensions of a Monolith than an PB12+. However, given the price differential, would I be right to assume that the SVS is significantly better?

Thanks

However, given the price differential, would I be right to assume that the SVS is significantly better?

Thanks

Rather subjective really, from what people tell me the PB12 isn't double the performance of the Monolith by any stretch but it is roughly double the price. That is the law of diminishing returns I am afraid :)

Adam

Thanks!

is it me or is anyone else getting deja vu?

I used to have 3 Meridian 505 power amps on top of my PB12+ and the top one would vibrate audibly. I put vibrapods underneath (which stained the sub! Barsteward things) which helped a lot. I wouldn't advise using a PB12 as a speaker stand.

The Plus would probably work as a speakerstand. I have had different kinds of objects ranging from flowers to candles on top of mine, and I have never heard any noise due to vibrations. To be on the safe side you could stick some rubber/foam feet on your center speaker

My next decision is which large box sub? I can more easily accommodate the dimensions of a Monolith than an PB12+. However, given the price differential, would I be right to assume that the SVS is significantly better?

So which would you get if you could have either, the Monolith or the PB12+? I know I can demo the SVS, and will do, but you can't demo the BK, so that seems to be bought on faith, and positive feedback.

Thanks

So which would you get if you could have either, the Monolith or the PB12+? I know I can demo the SVS, and will do, but you can't demo the BK, so that seems to be bought on faith, and positive feedback.

Thanks

Why not ask if there is anyone remotely near to you that wouldn't mind demo'ing the Monolith?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom