1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SVS PB12-ISD/2 or 20-39 PC+?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by sschen, Apr 19, 2005.

1. sschen

sschen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys

I am in a bit of a dilemma. I have been in correspondence with SVS regarding the above two subs in terms of shipping costs. Including all taxes and shipping costs etc, I estimate final pricings of the sub to be as follows in Australian currency:

PB12-ISD/2 A$1915
    20-39 PC+ A$1650

I actually prefer the PB12-ISD/2 more. Don't ask me why, but I guess I prefer a box shaped sub more?

As you can see, the price of PB12-ISD/2 is significantly higher because of its weight (nearly double that of the 20-39 PC+) and hence higher shipping costs even though the price difference between the two is originally only US$75 (not taking shipping into account).

For those SVS owners out there or anyone familiar with the SVS subs, what do you think? Is the PB12-ISD/2 worh US$200 more?

I am sure any feedback you can provide will help, so please don't hold back. :)

BTW, the HSU VTF-3 MKII can be had in Australia for the same price as that of PB12-ISD/2 listed above.

Sincerely
    Stephen

2. Des Flurane

Des Flurane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi sschen,
    I just imported a Plus/2.
    As always, it depends.
    More output on the ISD/2 and theoretically a better driver on the Plus.
    Room size and listening SPLs are the key. A large room and high listening volume go the ISD/2, and really if your'e going to pay the ISD/2 price get a PCUltra. Shipping would be a lot less to even up the price.
    That was SVS Rons suggestion to me. As you can see I ignored that advice!
    The ISD/2 is a VERY, VERY BIG box. Nothing can prepare you, it's like seeing an elephant for the first time.
    The Ultra, by most peoples reports who have one, has a different sound. More refined, though haven't heard one myself, plenty on this forum have.
    My advice, buy the PC Ultra.
    Des.

3. gavp

gavp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi mate
    I have a 20-39 PC+ and I can safely say the performance is phoenominal, It boils down to what you think looks the best, don't worry about performance each one will blow you away, quite literally :D , the reason SVS do a cylinder is to maximise the ability without adding costs to make a round peg sit in a square hole, if ya see what i mean :rolleyes:

Personally the cylinder looks the business, theres nothing else out there that looks like it or is as impressive at relaying low end as any sub i've heard under a grand£, period, although I've not heard an Ultra :devil:

4. sschen

sschen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Des

Looks like your price range is a notch higher than mine. I take it you were deciding between a PC-Ultra and PB12+/2, but you went with the PB12+/2 instead of the recommended PC-Ultra? If I apply the same rationale from your case, I guess you are suggesting that I go with the 20-39 PC+ instead of PB12-ISD/2?

PB12+/2 must be dearer for you to ship as well?

I have noted the dimensions of both sub so I like to think I am prepared for the size of both subs. But like you said, mentally visualing them is probably not the same as seeing the real thing.

Stephen

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    From reading reports on this and other forums it would seem that unlike many other brands, SVS don't make a bad sub at all but different models to suit slightly different circumstances.

I have a 20-39 PC Plus and even after two years and having listened to many much more expensive subs I am still happy with what I've got and would only change it out of boredom and not necessity.

Unfortunately I can't speak first hand for the PB12-ISD/2

6. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    It is not rocket science to mock up a full scale model of any potential subwoofer purchase using cardboard scrounged from the supermarket. You can get some very big pieces from the storage room if you ask nicely. :cool:

I find that assumptions about sizes of objects for particular purposes is overdone. You wouldn't want to hang your clothes in an SVS-sized wardrobe, would you?

I'm not sure about a subwoofer the size of a wardrobe. But most glass-fronted display cabinets leave SVS subs for dead in the size stakes. Though the bass output from glass ornaments is usually considered inadequate for film watching. Some people just have no sense of priority. :D

People will happily sit with their feet up on a coffee tables whose enclosed volume exceeds almost all known models of subwoofer. And they put these coffee tables in the middle of their rooms! Are they completely mad? :suicide:

Nime

7. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Very happy with a PC-Ultra here.....it takes up far less floor space than the PB-12,which frankly wouldnt have got past herself,whereas the PC-Ultra has been accepted with relatively little complaint excpet when it makes things rattle!

Seriously though.....having tried a good number of other subs,some a good deal more expensive,this one works extremely well,and unobtrusively as well,by which I mean it integrates very well with not only the AV side of my system,but the music side as well,which I think is no mean achievement.

8. Des Flurane

Des Flurane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sschen,
    Thought my post might be confusing ;-)
    My initial choice was between the PCU and the ISD/2.
    I went up a notch.
    If WAF wasn't a consideration I would have chosen the PCU.
    Des

9. sschen

sschen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Des

Is there a hint that you regret not getting the PC-Ultra over what you have got now, PB12-Plus/2? The PB12-ISD/2 is the limit of my budget. Even with the reduced shipping costs, the PC-Ultra will still be over my budget. So at this stage, it is either the PB12-ISD/2 or the 20-39 PC-Plus. I would not mind the PB12-Plus/2 in Cherry finish though. :)

Is the PB12-Plus/2 too large for your room. My HT room is 5mx5m.

Stephen

10. Des Flurane

Des Flurane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My room is 5.6 x 3.8 with a 1.8 opening into another room of similar dimensions.
    The Plus/2 is too large for my wife! But she loves me and tolerates the sub.
    SVS recommended the ISD/2 or the Ultra to fill the space, so I probably could manage with less woofage but I didn't want to die wondering.
    Go to the Home Theater Spot and look for posts by Chops. He loves his ISD/2. No sub envy with him.
    I was able to spend more, if you can't, buy the ISD/2 and don't look back. Calibrate it with advice from these forums and then sit back and enjoy.
    Des.

11. sschen

sschen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Des

Thanks for refering to the Home Theatre Spot website. I read the posts by Chops. Even though I feel that I am already pushing my price if I go with the ISD/2 due to its high shipping cost (US$350) to Australia, the high number of posts from PB12-Plus/2 makes me wonder whether I should just fork out that extra and have no regret later. I am in love with the Cherry finish of the PB12-Plus/2.

I have just sent off an email to SVS to ask them whether they can do Cherry finish with the PB12-ISD/2 but have not had a reply yet. None of the finish available with this sub suits my HT room. Most of my HT gear (speakers and cabinets) are mainly in Cherry finish, there is nothing in the room that is black at all (accept the face cloth of the speakers).

At least I have decided I will get a box sub and not a cylinder sub. No offense to SVS cylinder sub owners, I just prefer the box sub more. :)

12. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    So much simply depends on the requirements you have,or your room will accomadate(or S.O.for that matter)and in my case,neither the room,nor my wife would accept the PB12.

I think you'll be impressed with the level of service you get from SVS,given that you may not receive a reply now until Monday,but most of us here have been very pleased with the quick turn-round of queries and replies.

Having got through 3 subs,with increasing prices over nearly as few years,I wish in retrospect that I'd bought one good one initially,but wasn't sure at that time if AV would be what i wanted overall.....buy the best you can afford now,even if it means going a little over budget,and it will save you a good deal more in the end.

13. sschen

sschen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am going to sound stupid but what does S.O. stand for?

My room is 5m x 4.75m x 2.4m (height) or 2000 cubic feet. I am very tempted to go "all-out" for the PB12-Plus/2 because of the wood cherry finish. But the PB12-ISD/2 is already over budget because of the high shipping cost. By my rough calculation, the PB12-ISD/2 will cost me US$1450 in total. The PB12-Plus/2 in wood finish will probably cost me just over US$2000.

In fact I already got a reply from Erik of SVS yesterday, advising that they currently do not offer Wood Cherry finish for the PB12-ISD/2. But since the dimensions of all three dual drivers sub are the same, I have politely asked whether it can be made available to me, if feasible. Perhaps someone can shed some light on whether there is anything preventing the ISD/2 guts from being inserted into the wood finish enclosure of the PB12-Plus/2 or PB12-Ultra/2? The only explanation I can think of is purely a product/marketing decision, in that the premium finish is only made available on the "higher-level" product lines to give them more prestige over the "entry level" sub.

Using a PB12-Plus/2 on a 2000 cubic feet room is not overkill, is it? Any PB12-Plus/2 owner can probably comment on this.

Thanks again
    Stephen

14. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Sorry for the webspeak...S.O. is significant other,in my case,my wife who doesnt like large black boxes sitting at the back of the lounge!

I'll leave all comments regarding the PB12s to those who have them here,but I wouldnt say that a PB12 will be overkill in a room that size,but it will certainly load the room adequately!

15. Mroizouk

Mroizouk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Sschen, I don't believe ther PB12 will be overkill in your room. I use a PB12-Ultra/2 in a room smaller than yours! As alexs2 says:

16. Des Flurane

Des Flurane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stephen,
    My shipping came to $400NZ with another $400NZ for import duty and taxes. Total for the Plus/2 $2500 NZ. If that helps.
    I would say that $2000US in a wood finish is on the low side.
    Des.

17. sschen

sschen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Des

Did you pay NZ$2500 for the Plus/2 in wood finish or just the standard Vinyl black finish? This seems like a good price? How long ago did you buy your sub? I have been quoted US$350 (door-to-door) on shipping the ISD/2 alone. The Plus/2 is slightly heavier too so it will most likely cost a bit more.

I told myself initially that my absolutely maximum for the sub is going to be A$2000. My rough calculation for getting the ISD/2 to my door is just under $1950. If I go for the standard finish Plus/2, I am guessing I will have to shell out another A$500 roughly? In your opinion, is it worthwhile spending the addition A$500?

Stephen

18. Des Flurane

Des Flurane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm,
    That is a very difficult question.
    My Plus has the standard finish. It cost more than I was expecting, I guess it nearly always does, there was no one in NZ who I could compare notes with.
    For me this is probably a once in a lifetime purchase, I couln't afford to make a mistake or wonder what if.
    The Ultra/2 was never an option so was I going to pay the extra for the Plus/2?
    Well you can see the answer!
    I could stretch the budget so I went ahead.
    Worth it? My personal view is to do with how good your ears are!
    Would you be able to tell the difference between the ISD and the Plus?
    I don't think I could tell. So why buy the Plus? Because I could :devil:
    Go with the ISD and stop reading forums such as these, fire up your DVDp, sit back and enjoy.
    Des.