1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SVS PB10-ISD or B&W ASW675 ?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by TobiasGA, Feb 1, 2005.

1. TobiasGA

TobiasGA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey there :)
    Can anyone help me decide whether I should buy the SVS sub, or the B&W ? It's hard to decide since i can't listen to the SVS.

The price for the B&W is 1200$ and the SVS around 900$ (all included).

I have dali speakers (evidence 470) and a denon avr-3803 receiver.

I hope you can spare some time helping me :)

2. Mroizouk

Mroizouk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Tobias.

I have a 675 and i've been very happy with it. It gives astonishing performance considering its size, and is very good with both music and films. It integrates well with my other speakers too.
    I cannot speak for the SVS because I have never heard one, but there are loads of enthusiastic SVS guys in this forum who will no doubt give you their thoughts.

3. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    I would be surprised if the ASW675 is a match in terms of depth, compared to the SVS tbh. According to reports, the SVS does well down to 20hz or thereabouts.

4. Mroizouk

Mroizouk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    the B+W will extend to 17hz at -6dB and 22hz at -3dB.

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    They are an unusual pair for a comparison due to the size difference. The SVS will go louder and deeper and probably has lower distortion levels than the B&W but it is also considerably larger.

6. TobiasGA

TobiasGA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You would go for the SVS then? The size doesn't matter for me. I just think i need some extra in the low frequencies to help my front speakers. I don't want something very boomy and too dominating from a sub..

7. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    If a sub is dominating the rest of the speakers then its not set up correctly, i can't tell my sub is on most of the time until something scary happens.

8. Mroizouk

Mroizouk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Get an audition on the subs if you can, and decide for yourself.

9. TobiasGA

TobiasGA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't listen to the SVS, that's the problem :thumbsdow

It would help alot with some more answers :)

10. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Tobias
    Having owned a asw675 i would say go for the svs,I now have a svs 20-39 pc+ which easily outperforms the little b&w and according to Ian the pb-10 is very cose to the 20-39s performance. Just a note to say size wise the asw675 does perform very well and for someone needing a small compact sub is a good choice.
    Cheers Gonzo.

11. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Agreed. I heard the '675 just prior to ordering my SVS. I made the right choice.

But if circumstances force you into owning a small sub you will not be disappointed by the '675. It goes very loud and quite low in a compact and rather pretty box.

But it's still not an SVS. Which goes louder, lower and has an effortless quality about everything it does.

Do a mock-up in cardboard the size of the SVS that interests you. Now put it in your room where you'd put the real thing.

Then decide. :devil:

Nimby

12. Diamond

Diamond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    He already said space isn't an issue, so the decision should be relatively easy? I didn't audition mine before ordering..

13. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I think there are enough SVS owners dotted around the country to be able to source a demo relatively easily.

I'm sure if anyone who wishes to listen to one will be more than welcomed by the majority of current owners.

14. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    The only problem is TobiasGA has quoted prices in $ so I would suspect he aint over this side of the pond. At an outside guess I would say Canada from the ammounts quaoted.

15. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    You're just a couple of miles out - He's in Nimbyland

16. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Poor Guy, now I feel sorry for him :rotfl: :eek: :rotfl:

17. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    >>>You would go for the SVS then? The size doesn't matter for me. I just think i need some extra in the low frequencies to help my front speakers. I don't want something very boomy and too dominating from a sub..<<<

Tobias,

If size isn't an issue, check with the local BW dealers to see if they have any of the older ASW series in stock. THe ASW1000,2000,3000 and 4000. Larger, but much more powerful woofs. Generally, the larger the enclosure...the more "bang for the buck" you'll get from a subwoofer. Hoffman's Iron Law and all that...

Tom V.

18. TobiasGA

TobiasGA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think I can get the older models.. only one dealer in Denmark and I don't think they have them anymore.
    And it doesn't have to be a B&W :)

I will probably try the SVS..

But what about power supply? Is it possible to get one fitting or should I just buy one?

19. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    SVS will fit the power supply appropriate to wherever they are supplying the sub

20. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    You could ask HiFi-Klubben about the older B&W models. Or there's always Den Blå Avis or Gul og Gratis. :)

Nimby

21. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    >>>And it doesn't have to be a B&W...<<<

which other manufacturers can you get locally? Something like the Velodyne 150 series would be another great choice. Paradigm PW2200 is another good one. PSB 6, and the Energy 10.2(I think that is the model)...another good one...

Tom V.

22. TobiasGA

TobiasGA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm afraid there's not many manufacturers to choose between (B&W, Dali, SA, Infinity, Audio Pro). I have been looking at Dali Suite S1.2, but it only goes as deep as 29 hz.. The price of that one is around the same as the SVS.

23. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Infinity SW-12 did well when it was reviewed in the SEP/2004 soundVision. I'd see if you can take one home for a weekend audition. You might find it meets all of your performance needs..:)

Tom V.

24. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    I wonder if the directors of B&W and Velodyne will now post recommending the SVS PB10-ISD? :devil:

Nimby

25. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I do find it a refreshing change that a Boss of SVS is recommending other products except his own. In fact I havent even seen Tom pushing one of his products at all even though TobiasGA has expressed a preference for getting one :eek:

26. rickyd

rickyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    That's because Tom knows he doesn't have to hard sell his subs :D
    I don't think that I have seen a negative word said about the svs subs on this forum? I for one am very pleased with my pc-u :thumbsup:
    We live in a bungalow, my 8 year old was having a bath when I installed the sub, he came running out of the bathroom saying that the water in the bath was trembling all around him and he was getting vibrations up his bottom! :D He was quite scared, until he knew what it was.
    kinza

27. Diamond

Diamond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We have about the same brands over here. AP, hmmm. :laugh:
    Here PB10, even with the taxes and cargo fees, has no real competitors. That's when the space isn't an issue.. It's big but it's worth it, maybe you would be the first owner in Denmark (like me & my friend were over here) :thumbsup:

28. TobiasGA

TobiasGA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in doubt now whether to buy the PB10-ISD or a cylinder, 20-39 PCi (probably not the 25-31 PCi?). The guys at SVS recommended me getting the 20-39PCi.

I am no bass-freak needing loads of bass, but I wouln't like if the PB10 was a bit too small for my room (23*15,0 feet, listening area around 15,0*11,5 feet, 7 feet high) when i turn up the volume, it happens that I do that :). But I really don't know if I should use the extra money for a 20-39PCi, the PB10 gets so well comments everywhere.

Maybe some of you here would help me with a comment, so that I can decide :)

29. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Think about the size and shape of the two SVS models you are now considering. Which would you be most happy with in your own room?

Unless you want to squeaze the last ounce of power out of your new sub there is probably little to choose between them except for their shape and size.

You can't break down a room into listening area and non-listening area. The total size of the room, in which you listen, is important.

Nimby

30. TobiasGA

TobiasGA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well there isn't really any preference visually, I have a visually nice spot for a cylinder, but with the cylinder i wouldn't be able to have two subs (which probably isn't necessary with either of them).
    The extra money I would have to pay for the cylinder, should somehow be justified by some improvements to the sound. A cylinder would be something very special and funny (I think :) ), but the 20-39 PCi is after all around 220$ more (with taxes etc.) than the PB10, and the PB10 would visually be just as fine too.

My room is by the way concrete with a carpet on the floor.