SVS PB-2000 Pro Subwoofer Review & Comments

Hi Steve, great review thanks. Could you let me know the distance from floor to the two ports please? If this were to go behind an at screen I would want to make sure any frame work didn't cover the ports.
Also how would it compare to say a single Monolith Plus? I'm not worried about looks or fancy tech, just want the best sound.
Thanks in advance
Rocket

Oh I should add I'm assuming you still have the unit!

Thanks for the review. Question with regards the whole 'Pro' range, and the ability to make adjustments via the app - i'm guessing that if all i'm doing is connecting it to my amp (Denon AVR-4500) and letting Audyssey do it's thing, then all of the customisation options of the SVS will be wasted on me?

Hope you get Arendal latest subs in for review for comparison.

Not sure why the metal grill on the larger SVS subs doesn't get the love it deserves. It's by far my favorite of any speaker or sub grill I've ever owned or sold. Some day, all that will exist will be cockroaches and SVS metal grills.

Really trying to decide between the SB2000 and PB2000 at the moment, like the compact size of the 2000 but wondering how much impact I’ll miss if I don’t go for the PB.

Really trying to decide between the SB2000 and PB2000 at the moment, like the compact size of the 2000 but wondering how much impact I’ll miss if I don’t go for the PB.
How large is your room and how loud do u normally listen?

Thanks for the review. Question with regards the whole 'Pro' range, and the ability to make adjustments via the app - i'm guessing that if all i'm doing is connecting it to my amp (Denon AVR-4500) and letting Audyssey do it's thing, then all of the customisation options of the SVS will be wasted on me?
Yes, you won't be using the customisation features, but the ability to set simple things like the volume level while sat at the sweet spot is very useful. I normally use a pair of MK V12s, and I do miss the SVS remote app.

How large is your room and how loud do u normally listen?
5m x 5m. Currently using a R400B and usually ramped up quite a bit. I can rearrange the room to accommodate the additional size of the PB's but if it's not going to be massively beneficial I can simply switch out the R400B for the SB2000 without any bother.

Hi Steve, great review thanks. Could you let me know the distance from floor to the two ports please? If this were to go behind an at screen I would want to make sure any frame work didn't cover the ports.
Also how would it compare to say a single Monolith Plus? I'm not worried about looks or fancy tech, just want the best sound.
Thanks in advance
Rocket

Raw performance wise SVS has good bit more headroom (output) in whole working range and also lower port tuning than in M+. The new Pro model made gains especially in the mid-bass region. Whole new cabinet and dual port design should have some benefits over one in old 2000 and Mono. SVS design is more modern as Mono Plus came 2010 and it´s not that different from the basic model which came early 2000. Of course it´s worth to consider as you can get two basic 300w Monoliths for the price of one SVS. Shame there is no more finish options, not issue in man cave but for lounge it´s not the nicest.

Here is another review (2pages) with full measurements:

Hope you get Arendal latest subs in for review for comparison.

Yes, the new 1723 1V would be intresting! SVS offers bit more output from 20hz upwards for lower price, but i doubt that would be deal breaker cause we already know they (1723 range) sounds superb and aren´t really lacking anywhere at least for normal listeners. Plus more finish options as if you got to sell the large box idea to wife, it´s a bonus that you can let her choose finish.

Not sure why the metal grill on the larger SVS subs doesn't get the love it deserves. It's by far my favorite of any speaker or sub grill I've ever owned or sold. Some day, all that will exist will be cockroaches and SVS metal grills.
Yup have to agree , main reason that I purchased the SB1000 was that it had a pet friendly metal grill and still rocking it .

Just have to add that my master control board failed with about six months left on the 5 year warranty. Just a simple phone call and no hassle as sent me a new board and simple easy to follow instructions on how to fit .

5m x 5m. Currently using a R400B and usually ramped up quite a bit. I can rearrange the room to accommodate the additional size of the PB's but if it's not going to be massively beneficial I can simply switch out the R400B for the SB2000 without any bother.

I think it´s also question of taste as we have witnessed on AVF many times. The ported version will give you more tactile sensation/physical impact, especially when you listen loud. To give you idea how much more capable the PB2000 Pro is in the deep bass region at 20hz, you need approx 2,5x SB2000 Pro woofers to match one PB. Naturally the ported sub is stronger in the 18-36hz range with lower distortion.

Looking some data for the R400 it seems to drop big time below 40hz. Clearly it´s sold with the hifi speakers for music system in mind. Compact good looking dual opposite sealed woofer which likely sounds great. I think you should have easy time to sell it cause many are looking something like that due to wife issues. If that deep bass region feels underwhelming and overall you feel there is some fun factor missing then i would look more toward PB2K. Should be quite different experience if you favour the action/scifi/horror type flicks often.

PS. PB3000 can be got for 1316£ brand new SVS refurb with full warranty in mint shape (AV-online) if someone here wants to make even larger step up!

Yes, you won't be using the customisation features, but the ability to set simple things like the volume level while sat at the sweet spot is very useful. I normally use a pair of MK V12s, and I do miss the SVS remote app.
Makes a lot of sense, thanks Steve.

Good review Steve although I noticed that one of the cons is that it is not discrete if one is paying a thousand nicker for a sub I would not want it to be discrete I would want it to punch me in the head

Good review Steve although I noticed that one of the cons is that it is not discrete if one is paying a thousand nicker for a sub I would not want it to be discrete I would want it to punch me in the head
I wasn't referring to the performance, I'm with you there, I meant there's nothing discreet about a massive black box in the corner of the lounge.

Ethier the sb or pb would work well. Iv owned the sb 2000 and dual pb 2000s in a slightly smaller room than yours. I prefer the sound of the sealed over the ported, there's more punch and slam.

The sealed won't compete against the ported in deep bass, it depends what your taste is

No, get a sub with app.
Note I use the none ported but can imagine with the ported more fiddling with settings might be necessary.

I don’t fiddle much with audyssey or tuning the sub for hours but on my amp changing the db level of the subtrack is not as fast as using the app and I think it also goes only 7db up and down.

I setup audyssey with the sub @ -10db on and leave the sub normally at -25db for everyday TV.
Believe me you can still hear (not feel) the sub bass track when sub bass happens with my “big” bookshelf speakers ( Switch of the sub :) or go to minus -50)

during movie time I change to -15.
For stupid time I change to -8

This is with ~65db of loud(well debatable) movie watching.

Last edited:
I've got an svs pb13 ultra, a few years old now but a beast (non sledge amp) would I benefit from 2 of these over the single ultra?

I've got an svs pb13 ultra, a few years old now but a beast (non sledge amp) would I benefit from 2 of these over the single ultra?
I'm intrigued by the same thing, too, adding a couple of these to my PB4000. The 4000 has all the depth I need but I'd like more 'bass guitar' punchiness. And evening out the bass throughout the room.

Having read the review, it sounds more like using a sledgehammer, to tap in a small nail! When, isn't accuracy a more desired thing? Even an IMAX cinema doesn't go any lower than 20 Hz, as there's just no need for it.

Having read the review, it sounds more like using a sledgehammer, to tap in a small nail! When, isn't accuracy a more desired thing? Even an IMAX cinema doesn't go any lower than 20 Hz, as there's just no need for it.
You may be tapping a small nail, I want a subwoofer to demolish a building. IMAX may or may not only go down to 20hz, but it will play 20hz at 120db. We're going to need a bigger nail tapper.

20Hz is where the fun stuff really starts :D

Gotta love all these bass junkies....requirements below 20 hz....etc etc must live in mansion sized homes but live on an AV forum...ergo ??? SVS are a marmite brand in the UK and l hate marmite.....Design based on a building brick with the attention to detail of a breeze block

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom