SVS PB-2000 or BK Monolith?

nugget2014

Hey all

so i am going to buy my first subwoofer to add to my home cinema i will be having. currently have my dali zensor 3's which i will use as the fronts

not decided on sub as you can see and dont think i'll get centre speaker straight away as i want a decent sub for movies rather than buying a £229 dali centre and some cheap wharfedale diamond sw150 for £170.. wont be that great

so which of the two would you say is best? also considering the XXLS400. using for both music and movies but like the port on the bk and svs. i have a budget for the sub about £450 which is price of monolith (unaware of price of PB-2000 in UK) can stretch over budget a little

will be in a medium size living room for both music and movies as mentioned

edit: turns out the pb-2000 is £750?! so out of my price range.

it'd have to come between the bk monolith, Xxls400 PB-1000 or the SB2000

Last edited:

CaPo

From the specs, the monolith sits between the pb1000 and the pb2000, the xxls400 sits between the sb's, but very close to the sb2000.
I had the same dilemma a few months back, ended up with the sb2000. If I had to spend a bit less, it would have been one of the BK's without a doubt.

nugget2014

That's interesting to see where they sit side in their categories. Do sealed subs do an amazing job still at LFE for explosions etc compared to ported subs? I'm also thinking they might be better than ported for use in a flat as it won't cause as much rumbling of the floor disturbing the neighbour underneath. Although the sb-2000 only goes down to 24hz I heard the monolith is amazing for those effects

Last edited:

nugget2014

Wish I could demo these subs.. Shame it's not possible!

CaPo

The sb2000 will go to under 20 Hz no problem, its just a ported will be louder at them frequencies, if you've got the volume up high. I normally listen at about -15 and the sb is more than capable. If your up at reference levels for action movies most of the time a ported would probably be a better option.
All the subs mentioned above are easily capable of pissing your neighbors off, but again, that's all down to you and your volume setting. I could easily annoy my upstairs neighbors with my xls200 and that was on a concrete floor.

Dean

XXXLS400 used to be comparable to the old SB12-plus so disagree it sitting close to the SB2000, unless BK have done a major revision to it since it was launched 5 years ago.

nugget2014

XXXLS400 used to be comparable to the old SB12-plus so disagree it sitting close to the SB2000, unless BK have done a major revision to it since it was launched 5 years ago.

i see what you mean. i can afford the svs sb-1000 but i wish i could demo it at a hifi store around me without having to resort to a home trial (no hifi companies would do that either i guess unlike svs website) also only goes down to 24hz but im sure the xxls400 goes under20hz?

Dean

i see what you mean. i can afford the svs sb-1000 but i wish i could demo it at a hifi store around me without having to resort to a home trial (no hifi companies would do that either i guess unlike svs website) also only goes down to 24hz but im sure the xxls400 goes under20hz?

True a demo would be good but even then your listening room is likely to be a lot different. I am pretty sure the XXLS doesn't go below 20hz (unless your taking into account room gain but that would apply to other sealed subs including the SVS). I used to have one and while a good sub I found it just a little soft at the lowest notes. The SVS has a pretty good DSP chip which I think makes a difference to how it handles bass. The choice is yours though!

nugget2014

True a demo would be good but even then your listening room is likely to be a lot different. I am pretty sure the XXLS doesn't go below 20hz (unless your taking into account room gain but that would apply to other sealed subs including the SVS). I used to have one and while a good sub I found it just a little soft at the lowest notes. The SVS has a pretty good DSP chip which I think makes a difference to how it handles bass. The choice is yours though!

i think i am now choosing between the xxls400 and the sb-1000. the monolith is amazing but not sure anymore think the sealed would be better as i would be using it for music too (how good with music is the monolith?) tried music on the dali E12F and that didnt handle the fast bass well so not sure the mono will

olliemac166

Svs PB-2000 would suit me better. I have the monith df and I wish I stuck with my svs it's just my preference with both subs

nugget2014

so i think i'm gonna go to richersounds tomorrow and demo the dali ikon sub mk2 to see how well it handles music (i assume the dali ikon sub mk2 will be in the same league as the monolith) compared to the dali e12f which didnt impress me much at all. if it gives me the WOW factor which i never received with the e12f then i sure mght get the monolith, see how it performs for music too. might demo pacific rim and a couple of songs which has very fast bass to give the sub a workout and see if it succeeds where the dali e12f failed.

Dean

I've had the SB-1000 for about 4 months and rate it highly, very hard hitting sub for it's size. Playing something like Pacific Rim on blu-ray and I can feel the floorboards on the floor above my dedicated room really shake and rumble when playing at around -18 db on my Yamaha. If your room is medium-small go for sealed or if medium-large go for a ported maybe. Regardless I find sealed easier to integrate in my system.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom