SVS PB-12/Plus 2 or REL STADIUM III

Steve N

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which of the two models would give me the best results for movies.

Well if your in any doubts, you would be welcome to come and listen to my SVS as I live in Yaxley :) But the SVS will stomp on the Stadium :smashin:

Below is what someone posted on avreview site about the PB12-ISD,you are talking about the PB12+2(which is 2 plus drivers rather than 1 I driver)there should be no contest.Also how much are you paying for the REL? against smurfins sub.

This is actually an updated review for the PB2-ISD subwoofer that I received and reviewed approximately one-week ago. Please again note that I am reviewing (re-reviewing) the PB2-ISD subwoofer here as there is no separate section in Audio Review for an evaluation of this specific model of subwoofer.
After having used the subwoofer for about a week, and learning more about its operation, I think that more and more it is an excellent value for the money.
I have revisited and relistened to some of the other subwoofers that I was considering purchasing such as the REL Strata(??)and Stadium III's, B&W ASW 750, Velomax 1200, Klipsch RSW's (all woofer sizes), etc. and find that this subwoofer is at least as good, if not better, than most of the aforementioned subs, except for the $3,000.00 REL Stadium III. (The REL Stadium III is not any more dynamic or powerful, but does have a bit tighter, cleaner and faster bass response than does the SVS. However, again, the REL Stadium III is a $3k subwoofer so this is not really an appropriate comparison.) Other than the REL Stadium III, these other subwoofers were no more pleasing to the ear or more effective in producing bass levels than was the SVS. In some cases, these more expensive subwoofers were a bit weak, in my humble opinion.
The SVS remains a very powerful bass producing sub. The bass easily can shake a room and goes reasonably low enough to capture almost all of the low bass sound tracks that exists on DVD, etc.
When I first set up the subwoofer, it had a tendency to get "boomy" with bass heavy movie DVD soundtracks. Fortunately, I have been able to largely (but not quite completely)cure this tendency by moving the subwoofer more towards the side of the room (away from the corner), and to reduce the gain/volume somewhat when playing bass heavy movies/HT DVD's. By the way, even with the reduction in gain/volume, the reduced subwoofer setting still allows for plenty of bass production and will result in ample room shake, etc. when called upon to do so.
Also, it should be clearly noted that the customer service recently received from Tom V of SVS Subwoofers when dealing with the boominess issue has been absolutely first rate. Tom has promptly and comprehensively responded to all of my inquiries in a largely successful effort to reduce the boominess issue. I greatly appreciate this high level of customer service. It should be a good lesson for us all.
All in all, I believe that the PB2-ISD subwoofer is a terrific value for the money. Is it the best subwoofer out there? No. However, I have listened to a number of subwoofers and have discovered that I would have to pay at least $3k to exceed the quality of this subwoofer. Moreover, I suspect that there are other $3k subwoofers out there that are not as good as the SVS.

My advice is, buy the SVS now while you can you won't regret .it

Paper specs don't mean a great deal on their own but the £1,500 REL Stadium 3 has a 200w amplifier and a 10" driver whilst the £1,070 PB-12/Plus2 has a 900w amplifier and a pair of 12" drivers so on paper at least it would seem to be no contest.

Svs

lilux said:
Yep... for movies SVS is definitely the better choice.

Regards from Hannover :clap:
Olaf

So your post on the "Top 5 subwoofers to max 4k" thread...

lilux said:
Well, my Storm III is the best Sub. Believe me, that's the absolute truth. :rotfl:

was a tongue in cheek comment? Or is it the case that it is not the best sub and therefore not the absolute truth? ;) :devil: :D

No need to respond, I was only pulling your leg. Honest!

Thunder said:
Well if your in any doubts, you would be welcome to come and listen to my SVS as I live in Yaxley :) But the SVS will stomp on the Stadium :smashin:
Public thanks to Thunder for demonstrating his SVS to me and for putting up with, and answering numerous other queries. Very much appreciated.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

But it means buying it from new. I HATE buying hi-fi from new! I'm thinking of the SVS PB12plus (with the piano finish 'cos I'm a bit of a poser really). But what kind of improvement could I expect from forking out the extra cash for the the SVS PB12/plus 2? I'm on the verge of ordering one or other from those nice Kent chaps.

I'm sorry but specifications have as much relevance to Hi-Fi/Home Cinema as a bunch of bananas. I am not agreeing with or disgreeing with your statement as to which is the better unit but I think that is best left up to the individual to listen and decide for themselves.

Ian J said:
Paper specs don't mean a great deal on their own but the £1,500 REL Stadium 3 has a 200w amplifier and a 10" driver whilst the £1,070 PB-12/Plus2 has a 900w amplifier and a pair of 12" drivers so on paper at least it would seem to be no contest.

gotta ask, can people honestly say that the SVS is better from a hifi point of view than the REL at the same price point? or does it just have a better bang per buck for home cinema purposes?

It depends on what you mean by "a hifi point of view" I had my Storm connected via low level connector to an AV amp and my current SVS replays the bass from CD's and music DVD's at deeper levels with far less distortion at the bottom ens than did either Storm that I had and there is certainly no bloat or overhang.

I have never tried either brand with the speaker level connections though but those people into expensive subwoofers really should try and find a friendly owner near you and invite yourselves round for a listen to hear what it can do for yourselves.

One of Steves comments to me was that the SVS sounded more subtle and less in yer face than his REL. This added to the superior dynamic ability makes it a better sub all round in my opinion :thumbsup:

Thunder said:
One of Steves comments to me was that the SVS sounded more subtle and less in yer face than his REL.
Subtle doesn't really do it justice.
You didn't know it was on until it came into play, then it was sharp, fast, accurate and dynamic.
Some of this must clearly be down to the Thunders skills in setting it up as near perfect as possible.

ok, i'm talking about with just stereo audio sources (whether CD or vinyl or SACD etc, but not DVD based where the bass is separated for a LFE channel) hooked up via hi-level connection as i find this gives soooo much better sound than using the interconnect and bass management on the amp......

my little quake on hi-level was surprisingly good at lower volumes, but wobbled a bit when things went loud, it was in tandem with Monitor Audio Silver S6's....they could outclass the sub quite easily in volume and footprint, they just didnt go as low......i wouldnt have classed it a true hifi sound tho, was still a little too thumpy....

whereas my Strata 5 on hi-level connection is gorgeous, nice fast and well timed bass, decent crunch if needed, nice roll off with the speakers, nice lack of air pressure too unless you turn it stupidly loud.....but the most important thing is it sounds musical, it fits in nicely, doesnt separate hardly at all from the speakers.....as in you would be hard pressed to tell its a separate entity......untill it gets stupidly loud of course, then its obvious as it would be with all but the most expensive equipment...

with movies its lovely too, but i get the feeling its sheer pile driving grunt probably isnt the best available, but in an upstairs room in a 1930's brick and wood house its more than enough for me, specially with neighbours sharing one of the walls...lol

so i was just wondering, can you guys with SVS at the same price as the Strata 5 honestly say the musical side of the sub is as good or better? or is it more the movie side that excels?

i wont be upgrading anyhow as im happy with my REL and cant afford to upgrade for a bit anyway...lol....im just curious for future reference....cheers

I used to own a Storm III and the SVS I have Beats it at both movies and music. When I bought the SVS it was with movies in mind but I use it for music as well as its just so subtle fast and neutral. Its hard to believe because of its huge proportions but SVS build their subs as big as they need to be. They dont put a driver in a tiny box and then over drive it to get the necessary performance from it :thumbsup: They really are that good :) By the way I dont believe that high level connection is the best method, if the cut off is handled in the digital domain properly its a much more accurate method :smashin:

Thunder said:
I used to own a Storm III and the SVS I have Beats it at both movies and music. When I bought the SVS it was with movies in mind but I use it for music as well as its just so subtle fast and neutral. Its hard to believe because of its huge proportions but SVS build their subs as big as they need to be. They dont put a driver in a tiny box and then over drive it to get the necessary performance from it :thumbsup: They really are that good :) By the way I dont believe that high level connection is the best method, if the cut off is handled in the digital domain properly its a much more accurate method :smashin:

fair do's ;-)

oh, concerning the hi-level bit, what if its vinyl? ie not in the digital domain?..lol

Knyght_byte said:
i was just wondering, can you guys with SVS at the same price as the Strata 5 honestly say the musical side of the sub is as good or better? or is it more the movie side that excels?

Mr Byte, the UK branch of the SVS owners club tend to be a friendly lot and if you ask I am sure that an owner in your area will gladly let you listen to his pride and joy.

Knyght_byte said:
fair do's ;-)

oh, concerning the hi-level bit, what if its vinyl? ie not in the digital domain?..lol

depends what your using as a pre amp/processor

Ian J said:
Mr Byte, the UK branch of the SVS owners club tend to be a friendly lot and if you ask I am sure that an owner in your area will gladly let you listen to his pride and joy.

i'm not adverse to trying alternatives, but atm i need to pay off the debt on my 7205 projector before i think about any serious level upgrades to my system...lol....atm im quite happy anyhow, the Strata 5 fulfills my needs in my current room.....should in the future i find i need more and i have the funds then i will find someone who will be good enough to let me hear their SVS in action :)

Better not audition one then or you wont rest till you have one :D

gonzo said:
Better not audition one then or you wont rest till you have one :D
Did I read that you had problems setting yours up ? or was this the ultra.

I ask because although this model in the black gritex type finish is too large to hide behind chairs etc. There is an ultra for sale that I think was yours originally, That I might be able to slide past wifey as "furniture".

Yes i did own the ultra 2 that kinza is selling,It is a fantastic sub but i could only fit it at the rear where i couldnt quite get it to sound right, in a good position in a different room like kinza has it would shine and the wood finish is one of the best ive seen.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom