SVS PB-1000 Pro Setting Up

rozel

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi - I've just acquired one of these following all the positive reviews to replace an old Yamaha YST-SW320. I have briefly read all the user instructions but admit I'm baffled a bit and not sure where to start. My amp, a Yamaha RX-A1070, does provide YPAO setup via a supplied microphone suitably placed in my room, but it had been so long since I used it that I've forgotten what to do lol! But I have the manual for it and so should be ok.

But the SVS PB-1000 Pro seems another matter altogether and whilst there's what looks like a briliant SVS App, that I can load on my Tablet and communicate with the subwoofer via bluetooth, again I really don't know where to begin. Once upon a time I acquired a RadioShack Digital Sound Level Meter (33-2055) which I'm sure I could use with say another programme - maybe Audyssey ?

Basically I'm looking to start again with setting my system up - details in my Signature - and would be ever so grateful if some very kind person(s) could give me a push as to where to begin and basically give me a basic plan on how to proceed please.

Thanks

Last edited:
Typically you disable the low pass on the sub.
Run avr auto
Check sub level levels in avr you want them to 0.
If auto setup values are deivate from 0 by a large amount change subwoofer dial.
Then do avr auto setup again (or adjust avr sub level manually with a decent SPL meter)
Change speaker crossovers manually
Double check levels x all with spl meter

Blimey! that was quick - thank you. I shall refamiliarise myself with the use of my amp's YPAO setup proceedure. When you say "Check sub level levels in avr you want them to 0" is this what the amp reveals or the SVS using its app? Just a little confused

On the Yamaha amp itself for the sub channel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again - I'll try and give this a go tomorrow

From SVS manual: For connection to an AV Receiver, set the PB-1000 Pro volume to -10 in the app. Set the low pass filter to LFE and the phase to 0 degrees, then run auto-set-up on the AV Receiver. Always re-run set-up if you move the subwoofer to another location.

Most people aim to get "subwoofer level" in the Yamaha around -8db to -4db after YPAO. The -10 volume in the phone app should get you in the ball park.

After YPAO change speaker size all Small and check/tweak speaker crossovers. Then you done.

Thank you too @Gasp3621 much appreciated. I've just spent last hour ploughing through avr manual and things becoming clearer. What speaker sizes should be set BEFORE running YPAO? Or does it not matter? They should be all small right now

Thank you too @Gasp3621 much appreciated. I've just spent last hour ploughing through avr manual and things becoming clearer. What speaker sizes should be set BEFORE running YPAO? Or does it not matter? They should be all small right now

Do changes always after running YPAO! What you have now doesn´t matter..

Nnice one! Again ta muchly

Keep us posted how it goes and check the subwoofer level that it doesn´t come back at -10 on the Yamaha = subwoofer level in the menu under speaker levels after you have run it. I would do 3mic position YPAO setup so if you have to run it again then it doesn´t take whole day. So annoying to listen the test tones.

First make sure the subwoofer placement is somewhat ideal. Front corner gives you the loudest bass due to boundary gain (away from any opening), front wall 25% width often works great too especially if bit boomy in corner. Then set the things in the SVS app and run YPAO. Afterwards set speaker size all Small and bump speaker crossovers at least to 80hz and if some are set higher then keep those.

I hope you have some type of tripod / camera stand IF the A1070 didn´t come with the plastic stand for mic. I think the higher models do come with it. The mic should be at seated ear height! You probably know the drill. First mic position is MLP so middle seat main spot and then the two each side of it about 30-50cm distance so not like at the other side of room on another couch. Run it when you can have the room totally silent. Get away from mic & speakers when it runs. If you have couch against rear wall make sure the all mic positions are about 0,5meter away from rear/side wall as it can affect negatively.

First mic position is MLP
Thanks again, very useful. The sub has only one position it can go, which is mid-way on side wall between front left speaker and fire place. After fire place comes the mid left between it and main listening position. Rear left is above my head slightly to my left. This shows that my listening position is at the rear of the room opposite TV almost in left rear corner. Not ideal, I know, nor is position of sub but it's our living room and wife sits rear right. I was hoping to do 3 positions with YPAO mic but manual suggests they shouldn't be more than 30 to 50 cms apart - too short a distance to be ok. Would it matter if I did 2 positions in our respective seating positions, appox 2 meters apart? Also can you tell me what MLP stands for? Something obvious I bet lol!

Thanks again, very useful. The sub has only one position it can go, which is mid-way on side wall between front left speaker and fire place. After fire place comes the mid left between it and main listening position. Rear left is above my head slightly to my left. This shows that my listening position is at the rear of the room opposite TV almost in left rear corner. Not ideal, I know, nor is position of sub but it's our living room and wife sits rear right. I was hoping to do 3 positions with YPAO mic but manual suggests they shouldn't be more than 30 to 50 cms apart - too short a distance to be ok. Would it matter if I did 2 positions in our respective seating positions, appox 2 meters apart? Also can you tell me what MLP stands for? Something obvious I bet lol!

MLP = main listening position. Just do them in the main seat which should be opposite to tv. Don`t spread them like 2meters. I don´t know does it allow you to run just one spot which you could do in your seat. Optimize one position only if the two seats are far away from each other.

Yes, IIRC that's what I did when I first got amp - I'll go with that. Cheers @Gasp3621 and I'll report back tomorrow

@rccarguy2 car and @Gasp3621 - I finished my first YPAO run through about an hour ago. First it picked up that a surround back speaker was out of phase. The wiring seemed correct but I swapped wires around and ran it again - no issue after that. I initially set the SVS as was suggested after eventually getting it connected to my tablet.

Ok so all speakers came out "Large" and all bar Sub at 40Hz Crossovers. So I adjusted them all to "Small" and 80Hz as suggested. The SVS still showed -10db volume - I don't see how YPAO could change this, and under the "Measurement" setting in my Receiver, it doesn't reveal any figure at all, unlike the other speakers. It simply shows options for "Use" and "Not Used" - "Use" was selected automatically. So I'm confused - if the SVS is controlled manually, why set it to -10db before running YPAO? And then I suppose this Volume setting is manually adjusted depending on Listening Source from then on? I do know I can set up "Presets" within the SVS. Your comments suggest though that YPAO should alter the SVS from -10, which it hasn't.

I've briefly tested a music source at low listening levels (as my daughter works the night shift and is sleeping) - I'll ramp up the volume later. For now though I need to know what settings the SVS should be set to AFTER YPAO. I've got an SPL Meter - could you provide some basic instructions for its use - what am I testing etc etc.

Finally when I used my old sub wired to the "Trigger" sockets, it was rather slow in responding so I always turned it on and off manually, when needed rather than leaving it in Standby Mode to save a few bob! I don't see anywhere online or in the supplied documentation, where its power consumption figures are both in normal use "On" or in "Standby" - any thoughts? What is the "Trigger" connection like here? And have I missed something? - I was really hoping with the App that it could be powered on and off primarily so I could accomodate it within my Home Cinema "Activity" in my Harmony Elite Hub/Remote. Is this possible?

Thanks again for your invaluable help.

You should have a sub adjustement in the AVR, on my Yamaha you have to go to test tone select yes then go back out and go to the subwoofer level and adjust it.

Yamaha test tone doesn't bypass master volume so you will need to set master to 0. Make sure there is no sound playing on any sources you don't want it to blast out at 0dB when you drop back out of the calibration level.

I generally found the Yamaha calibration level pretty accurate within a couple of dB.

Finally when I used my old sub wired to the "Trigger" sockets, it was rather slow in responding so I always turned it on and off manually, when needed rather than leaving it in Standby Mode to save a few bob! I don't see anywhere online or in the supplied documentation, where its power consumption figures are both in normal use "On" or in "Standby" - any thoughts? What is the "Trigger" connection like here? And have I missed something? - I was really hoping with the App that it could be powered on and off primarily so I could accomodate it within my Home Cinema "Activity" in my Harmony Elite Hub/Remote. Is this possible?

Have you looked it you can power it on and off using the app control?

go to the subwoofer level and adjust it.
Where is that - are you referring to sub itself or yet another setting within avr? Totally confused now

Have you looked it you can power it on and off using the app control?
I was firstly asking about the "Trigger" response on this sub and no it has an off/on switch at the rear then using App you can switch between Auto / On (default) / Trigger. But I also want to know where to find Power Consumption figures

Having ramped up volume now in last hour, I am underwhelmed by sub output. Have turned up Volume using app to -4db - some improvement from -10db but still - no chest slam yet, playing some music tracks - with the power of this sub, I was expecting much more tbh. So hoping a setting or 2 in the avr might make things better

Set master to 00
Reduce svs volume to -40.
Setup
Manual setup
Test tone on
Then level go to sub channel
Set Yamaha sub level to -6db
Increase svs volume until soly reads 75-77db

@rccarguy2 car and @Gasp3621 - I finished my first YPAO run through about an hour ago. First it picked up that a surround back speaker was out of phase. The wiring seemed correct but I swapped wires around and ran it again - no issue after that. I initially set the SVS as was suggested after eventually getting it connected to my tablet.

Ok so all speakers came out "Large" and all bar Sub at 40Hz Crossovers. So I adjusted them all to "Small" and 80Hz as suggested. The SVS still showed -10db volume - I don't see how YPAO could change this, and under the "Measurement" setting in my Receiver, it doesn't reveal any figure at all, unlike the other speakers. It simply shows options for "Use" and "Not Used" - "Use" was selected automatically. So I'm confused - if the SVS is controlled manually, why set it to -10db before running YPAO? And then I suppose this Volume setting is manually adjusted depending on Listening Source from then on? I do know I can set up "Presets" within the SVS. Your comments suggest though that YPAO should alter the SVS from -10, which it hasn't.

I've briefly tested a music source at low listening levels (as my daughter works the night shift and is sleeping) - I'll ramp up the volume later. For now though I need to know what settings the SVS should be set to AFTER YPAO. I've got an SPL Meter - could you provide some basic instructions for its use - what am I testing etc etc.

Thanks again for your invaluable help.

What do you have for "subwoofer level" now if you go to Yamaha receiver menu, speakers, speaker levels there is figures for all channels so check subwoofer level. It could be example -3db there.

If you have SPL meter with c-weight and slow response selectable then you can also set the sub with it as RCA mentioned.

@Gasp3621 - as previously mentioned, I have - 10db. I need to understand what @rccarguy2 is saying cos there's nothing in my Receiver's manual which relates to any of this in my understanding. I can see i think how to increase sub volume in the Yamaha's menu but is it it suck it and see? What does "Increase svs volume until soly reads 75-77db" mean?

dB meter reads 75 to 77db. Put the meter where your head would be on the sofa. With the app you can easily adjust svs sub level on your phone.

@rccarguy2 - Ahh thank you - i think I'm getting it now lol. So when you say set the master to 00 - do you mean main volume control on front of Receiver?

@rccarguy2 @Gasp3621 - Sorry to keep coming back to this but I still am unsure about what is meant by "set the master to 00". I know how to adjust the volume of the Sub by using its App and understand how to adjust the "Level" within the Menu Setting of my Receiver. I also understand now how to place my Sound Level Meter and measure the SVS level at my listening position. But setting the Master to 00 is confusing me. If by this you mean setting the Volume of the Receiver to 0 using the exterior Volume Control on its front then ok but that setting is loud isn't it? I understand I won't be feeding any sound input into the receiver whilst sorting (and I must remember to turn the volume down afterwards before sending any signal through) but have I got this right please?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom