1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SVS PB-10 Review by Secrets of Home Theater

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Ian J, Oct 11, 2004.

1. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The Long awaited review is here.

As expected it is superlatives throughout and equally as expected "Secrets" claim that "the PB10-ISD has an SVS pedigree to the core, and from a performance value perspective, it is their best work to date. It is a remarkable achievement, and truly represents a quantum leap forward in the $400 subwoofer class."

If SVS were crafty they would now put the price up as they they will obviously not be able to keep pace with orders and from what I have read it would be cheap at double the price.

I have some interesting comparisons to make but as it's only 7:30am they will have to wait until after breakfast.

2. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,974
    Very interesting review, has me wanting to hear more, but just in from Nightshift so Bedtime for me, enjoy your breakfast Ian.

3. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    I've read the review - looks (sounds!) awesome!

I know they're in a different price category but... PB1 or PB10 ?

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It is always useful to have something to compare a product with and the natural competitor to the new SVS is the Velodyne CHT-10R as they are both new, both American and both will cost you about £360 in this country. For some reason or other the Velodyne CHT-10R is sold under the name of DPS-10 in USA and in that guise was reviewed by Secrets of Home Theater here

For £360 the SVS PB-10 will give you an amazing flat response of +/- 1db 19Hz - 150 Hz with unheard of low levels of distortion at this price whilst the equivalently priced Velodyne comes with remote control, loads of different DSP modes to play with plus a response of +/- 3db 28Hz -120Hz and Total Harmonic Distortion of 29.33% at 20Hz which is well over three times the level of distortion at the same frequency as the SVS

Secrets of Home Theater is a well respected journal and judging by their analysis, the SVS is a true, quality sub bass speaker that punches well above it's price whilst the equivalently priced Velodyne offering has a few tricks and gizmos to offer but in terms of clean low bass is way back with the Paula Radcliffe's of the subwoofer world.

I only hope that the flood of new orders that is bound to be the result of reading this review won't delay those that have already ordered as I am getting as impatient as Bob even though I've already got an SVS to play with

5. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Great review, glad I got my order in before it came out! Can't wait to get hold of this sub, it sounds amazing from all that I've read about it. I'm away soon for a few weeks so hopefully will have something to play with when I get back on novemeber 5th :)

6. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent review :smashin:
    The results of the Sub is very very good and i am sure that other manufacturers are going to have a hard time trying to compete with SVS.

John :)

7. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    That sub looks awesome for the money!! :eek:

The competition must be quaking right now, as long as SVS can keep up with the demand, they are on to a goldmine :D who wants to buy shares? :D

8. cwoj

cwoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i think its time i placed an order...try get one in before xmas :D

9. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Me too,
    Am I right in thinking that your credit card isn't charged until shipping date- I need to buy some other things first if it's taken straightaway till my bonus comes end of Oct!

10. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    They do not charge your card till it ships so dive in and join us happy bassheads :smashin:

11. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Anyone near Portsmouth buying one? I'm really interested in getting a listen to one of these!

12. xavk1

xavk1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    So is there any chance of someone organising a powerbuy of these?

13. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Blimey the prices are cheap enough as they are for the levels of performance on offer but even so SVS are willing to offer a discount for group orders as long as they are all ordered at once, delivered to the same address and paid for on the same credit card. One or two people have got together in the past and done this, saving some money in the process but that was on higher value products.

14. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Just to give people an idea of the details of my savings: I got a coupon for 5% off the price before shipping, bringing the cost for the two subs we ordered down to $758.10. The BAX shipping to manchester came to $180 all in (door to door). So the total cost in the US is: $938.10, which is about £524.

Duty on this brings it to £547.58, then VAT makes it £643, for a grand total per sub of £321. There will probably be some sort of handling fee at this end to do with the customs charges.

Bargain.

:):):)

15. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You have got to give it to SVS the price is mad, for 2 subs owain not even £700 :thumbsup:

John :)

16. cwoj

cwoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

where did you get a 5% off coupon? am only in leeds, i wish i had teamed up with you!!! :suicide:

17. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    I just hope they made some kind of a list of who put the first orders in ,oh yes that would be me at the front of the que then. :D

18. cwoj

cwoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bob, even if i got mine before you...which i wont...id let you have mine? i've never seen some one get so excited about a sub!!

19. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Just missed owain's order, was going to add mine :suicide:

Never mind, still a great price for a sub 20hz sub :clap:

The girlfriend thinks there's too much bass now..... :devil:

20. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Subless for weeks just makes you want to :suicide: .The bass helps my depression some how. :rolleyes:

:clown: :D

21. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    The response won't be quite so flat in the average room. But the depth and SPL figures look very healthy. What's even better is that it seems virtually bomb proof. SVS has deliberately made it indestructible. Which is a good thing. Because they won't want too many returned at that price. :D

And I'm still miffed it doesn't have the bits needed for straight connection to a stereo hifi system. They could be selling two each to an awful lot of music fans once the news gets out. Who wouldn't want a stereo pair of the dog's bølløques? :devil: But now they've castrated the pup! :mad:

Where's the bawling smiley? <sob> <sniff> <bwah> :rolleyes:

Regards
    Nimby

22. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    When I emailed SVS to enquire about savings for ordering two together they said they'd be able to knock a bit off, I presume from the way they said it that if it were some of the more expensive models it may have been more. Still any reduction on this already bargain price is pretty amazing. Any way, after we sorted out the delivery quote Erik emailed me a coupon code to put in at the checkout which reduced the price by 5% (pre shipping).

HTH
    Owain

23. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Im so glad that i made the decision to order one when I did and not wait and see :D

24. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    You can tell from posts here that high level connections are only used by a small minority of people and the majority would agree that it is better to leave something out that most of us don't use rather than compromise design and build integrity in order to achieve the price break.

Perhaps it's time you got a new amp :D

25. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Have you an idea how much a Naim AV2 and the necessary power amps cost? :blush:

Beyond the AV Forums foyer and the bouncers there still exists a vast army of stereo only fans. All pressing their noses against our steamed up windows. :D

Many AV fans still run a stereo system for music only. AV amps just don't have what it takes to do music properly. Not yet anyway. :devil:

But we're getting a bit off topic and I don't want to throw a wet blanket over the SVS Pup. :smashin:

Alright then: It's an Irish Wolfhound Pup. But it's still a remarkable achievement. :cool:

Luddites like me still exist everywhere. :)

Regards
    Nimby

26. cwoj

cwoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have emailed for a shipping cost, once thats through i will be able to order my xmas pressie :) and join all you bass heads!!

27. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    .... read the review some 3 times now ! Got me thinking - is this sub so good that it can potentially overshadow it's bigger brother the PB1-ISD (now called PB12-ISD)?

From what's said it seems to be just as 'loud' - and the quality seems to be better (distortion - flatter response) ! Amp Power is only some 20w off too - not a big issue considering it's driving 2" less of cone!

Any insight ppl?

28. 007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

No, the PB12-ISD formerly called the PB1-ISD will produce more output across the board and fill bigger rooms. If you can afford the 600 dollar sub, then its definitely worth owning over the PB10. The subs sound similar, but the 12” will fill bigger rooms. Also the port on the pb12 is 4” while the port on the 10 is only 3. That is a pretty substantial difference. Also the cabinet structure of the older pb12 is more sophisticated with a fine-textured black which you really have to see to appreciate and a down firing bass plate. The new 10 however cuts back on features while maintaining as much SQ as possible. I’m sure it will best anything below 500 dollars (especially down low) and its only 400!

29. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,145
    From the fact that my Mum didn't speak to my Dad for a month after he bought one, I've got a fair idea :laugh:.
    From another manufactuers perspective, the number of people using our subs at least through high level connections has fallen through the floor. As a result none of our new subs carry high level ins- even the monster Performance model 9. SVS have to be admired (grudgingly ;)) for getting a unit like that out at that price and to my mind HL inputs would be a logical casualty.

30. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I wanted to thank you for all interest in our products. We haven't ruled out adding speaker level ins/outs(and possible an adjustable lowpass XO) in a future version of the PB10. We have several other new designs to finish off first...so it will likely be early 2005 before we can offer any updates.

Tom V.