1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SVS on a plane?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by dalle, Mar 22, 2005.

1. dalle

dalle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I bought the 25-31 PCi which weighs 55 pounds, couldn't I bring that on a plane to Europe? Or would the PB-10 at 60 pounds be better due to its shape?
    How much does the package add to the weight?
    I have brought bikes home before and sometimes they charge an extra $100.
    You are allowed to bring 2 suitcases and total 66 pounds. So the SVS package would be one of those suitcases.
    I live in Denmark where customs and tax would add 33% to the price if I select shipping to dk, so I am trying to avoid that since I am going to US quite often.
    Some people must have done it or thought about it?
    Cheers!

2. dalle

dalle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also, can the PB-10 compete with the 25-31 Pci?
    I like the box shape but the 25-31 has a 12" driver, so I guess it is more powerfull?

3. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    It'd be too big for hand luggage!

4. dalle

dalle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't mean carry-on. I talking about just checking in the package from SVS like it is. Even if they charge me oversize (which I doubt, if my total check-in weight is under 30kg)

5. pfote

pfote

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    according to Bax, the whole PB10 package was weighted 37kg so they'll charge you probably (except you fly first class, there's a higher baggage allowance), not sure though if the 25-31 Pci weights less

about the PB10 vs. 25-31 Pci question, why not asking tech support at SVS, they can probably tell you exactly, i doubt that there is a huge difference in performance between those two

6. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    The sub is huge and the box is huge, are you serious? :eek:

7. Resonance

Resonance

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    If you had seen the way luggage handlers load planes, you wouldn't even consider taking one on a plane with you.

8. Resonance

Resonance

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    ...plus you would have to go through customs :(

9. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Nice try dalle. But the 25-31 is a very large suitcase! :eek:

The box is much larger than the 16" diameter of the cylinder would suggest.

The PB10 isn't nearly as good as the cylinders judging by the comments I've read here and elsewhere.

Whichever you choose you'd have to organise pick-up in advance for European 250 Volts and 50Hz.

Try and console yourself with the knowledge that nothing comes close for the perfomance offered at the total price of an SVS delivered to your door in Denmark. :smashin:

What makes you think the customs aren't going to slap the Moms on when you arrive at the airport? Do you think they might not notice that huge box blocking the low Scandinavian sunshine like the obelisk in 2001? :rolleyes:

"Nothing to declare" takes on a whole new meaning in this context! :D

What happens if your "luggage" goes missing? It happens! :mad:

There's always the B&W ASW675 from HiFi-Klubben at a higher price but in a tiny box. But there's really no comparison in my humble opinion. :boring:

Mvh
    Nimby

10. dalle

dalle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why can't 'I just order it for EU voltage. I don't understand?
    I guess the SVS subs are much bigger than I thought judging from your reactions. I have brought big mountainbikes and guitars in big boxes before withtout problems, and I have never had problems with the airlines or been 'caught' in customs. But I guess the subs are just much much bigger than I imagined.
    I am not going to the states right away so I guess I'll have to think if I should just drop the whole idea.
    If anyone has the package measurements it would be interesting to see them. But I should probably just ask SVS about that

11. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Trust me, a 25-31 is a whole different kettle of fish to a guitar or mountain bike, I do not see how you could do it. I bought a 25-31 from a forum member and just getting the box down his stairs was an ordeal. The tubes are massive, surrounded by cardboard and foam packaging. The only thing I can think of that would give you more trouble would be the cardboard box my pb12-pus2 came in!

12. dalle

dalle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And the PB-10 is also out the question then I guess?

13. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    The cylinders come in a box 50cm square. The height of the model will be important in package size as the box will be taller than the nominal height. Then there is the weight. Two complete racing bikes weigh about the same as a cylinder. It took my wife and myself to carry it upstairs.

Bikes are normal transport to most people (including customs officers) so they don't look twice. Particularly in Denmark.

A bike is not the same as a huge long box. The box is too big and heavy to carry comfortably. You can't get your arms round it unless you are a 2 metre high orangutang. So you'd need a sack truck or strong shopping trolley just to move it.

Customs might be cross if you didn't declare your obelisk and might fine you extra for avoiding customs charges. They might demand to look inside the sub for drugs.

Regarding voltage: The SVS main market is America. Which uses 110V & 60Hz.
    You'd need to order a European voltage sub well in advance and have it waiting for you somewhere. If you just ordered it for an American address you'd be stuck with a 110V model.

For the amount of money saved I really don't think it's worth all the effort of trying to bring one in illegally.

Nimby

14. dalle

dalle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, thanks for all your comments. Guess I'll save some more money and have it shipped.

15. 5ergo

5ergo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah svs is expensive if buying from EU, but still a bargain.
    Approx 250Euros more must i save for my 16-46PCi, i cant wait to hear the deepness!
    Btw whats with the UP sign on svs box?Can i put it horizontaly in car?

16. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    You can transport it horizontally in your car but you may have to brush the coat a bit when you unpack it.

17. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Not only can you carry it safely on its side in the car. But you can just as easily lay it down when you get it home if you should want to hide it away behind a sofa or other furniture for some reason.

The UP sign is just to stop transport staff piling things on top of the box when it's lying down. Standing up it makes a smaller target for heavy boxes to sit on top. T-i-m-b-e-r! :rolleyes:

Nimby

18. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    The box is big and heavy ,you will need at least two people to lift it.

19. lienly

lienly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have tought to ask a friend to bring me an SVS when he comes to TW, but to the end I gave up such idea. airline charges over size/weight check in luggage.

TW has about same very high tax as you are in DK! :mad: but it's still a good bargain even have to pay S/H and tax. I am very happy to enjoy the PB12-ISD/2! really a great sub to boost your HT experience!!! :smashin:

SVS service is really fast, just like how fast SVS performs! this noon I sent a question to Ron at 12:21, he replied at 12:25! :thumbsup:

so just pull your trigger to place the order online.

20. Diamond

Diamond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PCi has a bigger driver, but PB10 a better (newer) one. It depends on the space you put it in. 25-31 must be one nice, compact tube though!

21. dalle

dalle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, but still it sounds like none of them are compact enough for air flight check in