1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SVS news! :)

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by nathan_silly, Jun 20, 2003.

1. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like THE sub to buy is coming out sometime!

Tom

I'm just wondering if a Ultra equipped active subwoofer is in the
    works- I
    would like the ease of use of active, but I really want one with the
    Ultra
    driver.

Are you working on a active Ultra?

regards,
    Nathan
    -----------------------------------------------------

Hi Nathan,

Oh absolutely, we have been working on this design for well over a year
    and expect to have something production ready by the end of the summer!

Tom V.
    SVS

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some more info....

Hi Nathan,

We are planning something a little special for the CS_Ultra amp wise. We
    won't know for sure if we'll be able to pull it off at the price points
    we are gunning for but we'll try our best. Wattage will be in the
    475-575 watt range...yet to be finalized.

Tom V.
    SVS

3. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Sounds interesting.:) Might have to wait a while and see what they come up with before I click on the BUY button.:D

4. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOL nathan....this is goddamn evil.

Right after a lot of us has ordered there SVS sub.

Any idea on the price range? about the same difference as the PC+ and the CS+?

5. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I've seen the rumours around for a while and it's nice to see it's for real and 'officially' announced.

So Nathan you got your name down for serial number 001 when it's launched?

6. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No I'll wait a while to see what owners comments are first.

Tom hasn't given me any info reg. price, but comparing the CS Plus and PC Plus ($250 difference) I would guess the Ultra Active might be around $1200.

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I don't know anything about Nathan's domestic circumstances but there is such a thing as overkill and the upcoming beastie would certainly be overkill in my house.

The sound coming from my current Tower of Power, the 20-39 PC Plus is awe inspiring and I can't believe that anyone living in a room the size of mine and sharing their house with a young child that likes to sleep at night could need any more.

If I bought the new one I may be able to prove with my SPL meter that it went marginally lower and if I had a distortionometer no doubt I could also measure a slight reduction in that too but I am not that interested in the technical aspects of any of my equipment, as mine only has one purpose in life and that is to assist my enjoyment of watching films.

When I am engrossed in a good film or even watching a poor film I don't think that I would notice any difference but if anyone can prove me wrong, perhaps mine will have the honour of being the first SVS to appear in our classified section

8. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    True but the reason I'm upgrading the Storm because I want something with plenty of headroom and output, no point upgrading from a Rel Storm to a Rel Storm III as basically the same.

If the Ultra has 3dB higher output at any frequency, plus higher & lower output where the PC Plus gives out - I would rather spend that extra than think "What if?"

9. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    IMO one of the better aspects of SVS is that they don't gouge you for the better models. The improvement may or may not be enough to notice but the price difference between models is not that large. It must be tempting running a company to bung on a few 100 extra $'s for the higher range just because you can.

I just went with Tom's suggestion of a Pci model for my room 19ft x 10ft. I don't know yet if I wish I'd gone bigger as mine has been stuck in customs for a week.

To be honest reading the reviews of the PC and PCi models, even those with the older driver, I can't imagine that I'll need any more than what I'm getting.

10. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My room is much smaller than yours avanzato, but the hell with it!- I'll get the best I can afford.

The SS is a bit over my budget, the CS-Ultra is pretty good but a bit of a hassle using off-board amp, volume control, and lack sub sonic filter and phase.

I notice Tom, Ron & Eric from SVS help out on several forums. I have never seen a MD from Velodyne, Rel or M&K on the forums.

11. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Nathan
    Ive put my B&Wasw675 sub up for sale as i want to get the 25-31pc+ on reading the american forums alot of the folks who have bought svs have living rooms as big as cathedrals hardly any with rooms the size of ours in general.When i spoke to tom he said the 25-31-pc+ would be more than enough to fill my room size (16'x14') and as Ian J says his 20-39pc+ rattles his teeth out .Just seems you would'nt need any more in the room sizes that most of us brits live in .
    Gonzo.;)

12. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I cannot speak for the others but hopefully, Velodyne have someone who is knowledgable in their products acting for them. Namely myself. Thanks for your interest.

13. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Are you trying to imply that I wear dentures :D

Gonzo is probably right that the 25-31 is probably adequate for normal living rooms as mine is probably overkill.

Baggy came round on Friday for a listen and during the beginning of Toy Story 2 played fairly loudly, the waves of presssure were pounding against our chests and the leather settee was vibrating.

Whilst it's fine for demonstration purposes, I can't watch films at that sort of level as my three year old son likes to sleep occasionally and I don't think that he could with his bedroom floor undulating with the sound pressure.

Hopefully Servo 15 owner Orbital will be round for a listen shortly and will report on his findings but I would imagine that he is as possessive as the rest of us and will report that it's just a mid woofer really compared to his. :D

14. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This should be good :devil:

Well said eric :smashin:

15. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

Pricing is still very much up in the air...all we know for sure is we want it <$1500. Part of the problem in trying to compare the PC+ and PC_U pricing structure is we were able to use the PC+ amp on 3 different models to start...with another couple of models a distinct possibility for that amp before the end of the year. So we can buy those amps in huge number...lowering our cost and passing that on. The CS_U is likely to have an amp specific to it...not used on any other model. So our costs will be much higher, and unfortunately that also must be passed on.

Ian, like the CS+ vs. the CS_U...the PC+ will almost always offer the better cost/performance ratio to the customer. This is entering the diminishing returns arena. The PC+ is such a good value (imo), that even bettering it by 2-3dBs can cost a great deal of money.

Mat,

Please contact SVS on Monday about your customs problems. We can try to apply a bit of pressure from our end to solve the issues. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't...but we are always willing to give it a shot.

Tom V.
    SVS

16. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    So tom, does this mean that i can strip down my 20-39 and send back the duff amp, that i got and get a replacement...seeing as only 1 channel works...???

Would i get a refund in the P+P seeing as it was defective when i recived it.
    ie:..NOT FIT FOR THE PURPOSE IT WAS DESIGNED FOR.....??

cheers...chris.

17. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What everybody forget is that
    1)The livingrooms in the USA is MUCH bigger than most livingrooms in europe.
    2) everybody seem to forget that the PCi already has the 325 watt RMS amp!!! If you need to compare...the Storm has 200Watt

That's why I think Tom's advice is truly legit..noway is he trying to sell the more expensive lines.

Anyway I am ashamed to say that i am one of the people who "forgot" the two points mentioned above.

I bought the 25-31 PC+...525 Watts RMS!!!
    Anyway he says it's like having a 20-39PCi when I port it. Also with two ports plugged I can see how it plays tuned to 16Hz.

18. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PS UE is doing a great job with Velodyne.
    he knows how close I was in buying the CHT10. Even got the tickets to fly to london...

19. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  20. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agree entirely with Tom here. The last few percent in performance terms (and this applies to just about anything) costs big time.

21. rOAdeh

rOAdeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Just out of interest Ian (and any other recent SVS converts) how many days was it between placing your order and receiving your sub?

Ideally I'd like to wait till i get back from holiday next month before ordering mine but i have 12 days before i absolutely must have it (for a large loud party demonstration :D) and obviously a) therefore it must have arrived and b) ideally had a few days to warm up and 'burn in'

rOAdeh

22. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    rOAdeh, order it asap. Subs drivers take a while to bed in. You don't want to crank it whilst it's still new.

I would say at least 30 hours constant use.

I think the order takes about 10-14 days. Sure someone will come along with exact figure.

23. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    >>>So tom, does this mean that i can strip down my 20-39 and send back the duff amp, that i got and get a replacement...seeing as only 1 channel works...???<<<

Hi Chris, no...at least I think the answer is *no* as I'm not quite sure what the question is.

The amplifier in your subwoofer is a one channel unit...so the amplifier stage is working fine. I believe you are saying one of the two line level inputs on your unit doesn't appear to be working properly? If this is the case, and you want to fix it(it really serves no benefit from a performance standpoint to have both inputs working in this context) the easiest way might be for SVS to send out a new amp for you to install on your end, it really only takes about 15 minutes with a hand screwdriver?

Also, PLEASE make sure it IS the internal amplifier connection(line level input). If your cable has a bad solder joint, loose terminal...it might give you the same symptoms.

>>>Would i get a refund in the P+P seeing as it was defective when i recived it.
    ie:..NOT FIT FOR THE PURPOSE IT WAS DESIGNED FOR.....??

cheers...chris<<<

Sure Chris, We'll pay for the postage both ways, I didn't know you were so unhappy with your purchase. The last few posts I read seemed to indicate everything was working to your satisfaction now.

Email me at techsupport@svsubwoofers.com and we'll begin arrangements to have your unit returned to SVS. Thank you for auditioning it and if you are looking for quality alternatives I would consider the CHT15 and Servo15.

Tom V.
    SVS

24. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chris,
    I'm sure this is a one off as Toms company have a great reputation for quality control as well as quality products.

25. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    >>>Just out of interest Ian (and any other recent SVS converts) how many days was it between placing your order and receiving your sub?Ideally I'd like to wait till i get back from holiday next month before ordering mine but i have 12 days before i absolutely must have it (for a large loud party demonstration :D) and obviously a) therefore it must have arrived and b) ideally had a few days to warm up and 'burn in'rOAdeh<<<

Unfortunately, all subwoofers using the dB12 driver will be delayed for another 7-10 business days as we have run out and aren't expecting our next truckload until late next week(or possible even early the following week) The subwoofers that use the dB12 are the B4+, PB-2+ and all the PC+ series. I apologize for any inconveinence this will cause...believe me...SVS is absolutely pestering our driver vendor to no end to get them asap. We'll likely pay for express shipping from the west coast all the way to Ohio (over 2000 miles) just to get them a couple days sooner when the time comes...$$$...

Tom V.
    SVS

26. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Although I was happy to risk my own money, I was a little concerned about recommending the company to others until I knew a little more about the contingency plans if anything were to go wrong with a sub so I developed a dialogue with Tom.

According to Tom's statistics the failure rate on amps is less than two per thousand and they are easily unscrewable and replaced with a new module that SVS will provide.

I don't know what the likely failure rate of a driver is but again they are just unscrewed and the new one screwed in place so it isn't normally necessary to ship the whole unit back to base.

Even better news is that SVS are looking to appoint a UK service agent so that if you are not happy unscrewing and refitting a driver it will be done for you in the UK under warranty.

I think that the company's response to Chris's problem is an indication that they put service and customer satisfaction higher on the list of priorities than most others.

27. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Hi tom.....
    Scrap my last post....
    I was going to send youa rather long e-mail, with a better description of the prob i had, with the various SPL readings.
    I tried to take some readings today and have now found that the left LFE input, is now working.....(very strange).

I dont think my last post came out, quite what i was trying to get at....
    You mentioned that you was getting a large amount of these amps( same as in the 20-39 pc+) for the new up and comming subs.
    So i was trying to ask if i would get a refund on the p+p if i sent my amp back for an exchange and not the whole sub......i am very happy with the sub....and am evern happier now the left LFE input is working.
    I would like to say, that i did some very extensive testing in the first week, of reciving the sub.....i tried 3 different cables (2 home made, 1 brought from a local HiFi shop) and 2 different A/V recivers (denon 3803, sony 930) and just could not get any thing out of the Left LFE input...altough it would work with the test tones from both recivers and the internal tones on the pioneer 656 player...but as soon as i put some sorce material on (thx setup on SWTPM or avia), i get nothing........But now, it works.....maybe it needed to settle in, but then why did i get output from the right LFE input........?????

I think i'd better stop now, before i start to confuse myself.

So cheers tom....and you are not getting it back, evern if you do offer me a full refund and 50% off my next sub (ALTHOUGH....!!!!! :laugh: ).

cheers...chris.

28. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Chris,

Thank you for the update, and I really must apologize for my part in the misunderstanding too. I reread your post several times and to be honest...I wasn't quite sure of the questions. Somehow I was thinking you were asking if your current unit could be retrofitted to become a PC_Ultra. I suppose there still is a bit of a language barrier across the pond still..:)

It sounds like one of the line level inputs may have an *iffy* internal solder connection. Rest ASSURED, if you ever notice this issue becoming a problem again...we'll send out a new amp for you to install (a fairly straight forward procedure) and take care of all the associated shipping costs for you too.

Thanks again for the update...it is very important to SVS that you are satisfied with your purchase!

Tom V.
    SVS

29. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Well I got the sub this morning and despite SVS putting 'Do not drop' on the side of the (squished) box it turned up in one piece :D

One thing that occured to me while dragging it to my door was they don't tell you how much they weigh (42 kilos shipping).
    Just how heavy is the Ultra!!!

A play of Titan AE later and I don't regret getting the 'little' model at all. The only tiny problem is where the heck to put it, the 25-31 would have fitted perfectly beneath my screen. Doh!

As for the paperwork problems with customs, Erik was very quick to sort them out. So no complaints about the customer service from me.