1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SVS Madness!!!

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Dave Gray, May 25, 2004.

1. Dave Gray

Dave Gray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  2. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,736
    Frankly I think that looks awful. If it were a piece of art, it would simply be called: "2 dustbins and a loo seat". Why didn't he just buy a PB-2 Ultra?

3. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    While beauty may be in the eye of the beholder. I presume he built his tower before the PB2 Ultra was conceived.

Their are advantages to stacking. Such as close coincidence of either drivers or reflex ports or one of each. Depending on the arrangement and closeness to a corner this would offer different degrees of bass lift with a minimum footprint.

Personally I would have gone for more of a "stealth" approach. A plain tall cylinder from floor to ceiling would not be so difficult to hide. Particularly behind a curtain. Whether in a corner or not.

WAF certainly has a lot to answer for! :blush:

Nimby

4. elcid

elcid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is one problem that may not be too obvious, though......vents or ports are located on top of such enclosures (like on my 16-46s)...while active drivers output their signal downward, thus me thinks that things may not work too good doing the stacking thingy. Personally, I'd like to see them subs be placed side by side rather than be piled up on eachother. Oh, well, that's just my opinion...

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..." :hiya:

5. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    There are a number of stacking options frank. If the top sub in the stack is inverted then the ports would both still vent at room mid-height while also maintaining surface loading of the driver. (Floor and ceiling loading instead of just floor). Quite how this would affect gain and phase is difficult to judge.

Widely seperated groups of cylinders on the floor (like yours) must also have phase issues between the groups. Though floor packing must offer advantanges in gain since all ports and all drivers are near-coincident.

Stacking offers advantages in reducing footprint area. What other advantages it offers is still open to debate. It may well suit a more constrained room size compared with floor packing.

Nimby

6. elcid

elcid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All eight 16-46 cylinders were placed as close to eachother, in one corner of the HT room (and behind the 12 foot wide scope screen), as it was possible to do given the physical constraints presented by each tubed sub, thus aren't widely separated (things will be drastically changing when the pair of B4+ monsters finally arrive here in my humble shanty, though).
    However, I have to concede to the possibility that there just might exist certain phasing issues, as you so adroitly point out above, although without measuring equipment it would be really hard to guess as to what degree might the sound be affected by this acoustical phenomenon in overall terms.
    And, of course, you're right......about having an overall gain advantage since, as you put it, "...all ports and all drivers are near-coincident."

"Stacking offers advantages in reducing footprint area. What other advantages it offers is still open to debate. It may well suit a more constrained room size compared with floor packing."

OK, I'll buy that for the time being... :)

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..." :hiya:

7. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    My apologies. I thought I read somewhere that you were using your subs in two widely seperated groups frank?

I'm trying to imagine how you avoid drowning in mid-bass while still getting the headroom advantage low down (even in a large room). But, since you must calibrate the combined subwoofer effect with your main speakers...your subs must be just idling along most of the time. But that still means that your main speakers must be very efficient to achieve reasonable SPLs in such a large room?

SV Subs seem to have a rising response with falling frequency in-room. Did you notice this in your own set-up?

I'm also wondering what advantages you see in the B4+ over increased investment in yet more 16-46's? No more room for the coffee table? :blush:

And finally: Why you're not tempted down the route of a True Infinite Baffle?

Nimby