1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SVS Imports and VAT

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by FTP, Nov 22, 2004.

1. FTP

FTP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a thought guys. I was wondering, if I had a kind old friend over in the US who wanted to send me an SVS as a gift, how would UK Customs look at that? Would I be charged any duty and/or VAT on a gift or would they just shrug and wave it on out of their warehouse right into my arms?

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I think that the limit on gifts is about £18.

If your suggestion was feasible I am sure that we would all be doing it. Someone could even set himself up in USA as a professional uncle.

3. FTP

FTP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hehehe, I never thought of a professional uncle. But if it really was a gift (I'm not joking, it IS a gift from a friend), what is the route to go? How would such a gift be valued at Customs for VAT purposes? Would it be less of a hassle to send it in as a second hand unit instead of a gift and give it a nominal value?

Excuse my ignorance, but if the limit on gifts is £18, then does that mean that no one ever receives a gift of value from the US?

4. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    The limit on relief for gifts is £36.

Just go to http://www.hmce.gov.uk and search for 'gifts' it should bring up the relevant PDF for you (4th down on my screen).

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I suppose that if you bought a second hand sub over from USA there may be a saving on import duty and Vat as it would be levied on the second hand value. Bear in mind that the Bax Global shipping rates from SVS are probably on the basis of huge volumes and you may find that what you have saved on the Vat you will have spent on the extra costs of shipping.

6. FTP

FTP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm...this is starting to look complicated. According to the info I have so far (thanks Avanzato and Ian), it might actually be easier to get a speaker direct from the manufacturer. That Customs importation paper is making my head spin on its axis. Doesn't the courier (be it Bax, Fedex, UPS, TNT or whoever) take care of that Customs stuff for you as a routine part of the delivery, then charge you whatever the relevant fee may be on delivery to your home? I need to check how much delivery would be; if, as Ian says, it's too high compared to Bax, I might have to change the way the speaker is sent. Doesn't make sense to save VAT on one side and give them to the courier on the other.

7. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Get your friend to give you svs gift vouchers.
    Can I be your friends friend too? :)

8. FTP

FTP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Haha, yes I am sure you can. :smashin:

9. Gavin_Hall

Gavin_Hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Can anybody tell me what the %'age import duty is on a PB10? Obviously VAT then goes on top of that, but I'm missing the import duty to work out the figures :)

10. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    4.5%

11. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Seriously though, svs do sell gift vouchers, except being American they call them "Gift Certificates".

12. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Hello all

Pollywoggle - keep in mind the 'declared value' is also the redeemable value should the shipment go pear shape and your new kit gets trashed; if you state its s/h and only worth a fiver that's how much its covered for by the insurer!

Best regards

Joe

13. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    What about sending it as a warranty replacement which always seems to have worked for me although marked as zero value?

Am tempted to buy one of these right now. Have just read the sticky thread and note that everyone seems to have bought the pci models. Are these supposed to be better than the PB models? Also I need this to be delivered next week. Is this likely to happen or are they still likely to be around 10-15 days (or longer)?

Thanks, Tony

14. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Actually very few have bought the PCi models. The PC plus has been the most popular overall. I very much doubt whether 10-15 days is feasible but it could be and you would have to ask SVS directly. All UK subs are special order as the amp is 220 volt instead of the standard 100 volts for USA

15. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ian, Many thanks, I did mean PC.... models and not just PCi models. Are they generally considered better than the PB models or is it more of an aesthetics thing? I will eventually be planning to use one of these with Anthony Gallo Speakers, Micros for the Rears and Due's for the front although am currently using Proac Response 1.5's for the Fronts. Do you think this would generally be a good match or would you recommend other models such as the gallo sub itself? Would I see a noticeable difference between the two? Looking more for subtle base which is equally effective with music. Also I live in a top floor flat and wouldn't be playing it particularly loud.
    Thanks in advance and apologies FTP if this is slightly :offtopic:

16. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Actually I was suggesting his friend just send him the vouchers and he imports it himself, that whole "gift" importation thing just not worth the hassle IMHO.
    The subs are a bargain even with the duty and vat, I know cos I have 2!

17. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Any capable sub should be able to extend up to whether the Gallo speakers trail off and the SVS is certainly more than capable.

The Gallo sub is very dinky looking but doesn't really extend particularly low and is more useful for filling in the lower notes than providing true sub bass or LFE. The SVS is in a completely different league with far greater power and scale whilst still as capable as the best of playing music at lower volume levels.

18. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Cheers Ian, I've sent them an email asking for a delivery and cost estimate and will order the smallest 25-31PC-Plus. Will just have to book another day off work to accept delivery :) .

19. say1

say1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Import duty rates increases on certain goods from U.S. see below,

Council Regulation 2193/2003 has imposed ad-valorem duty in addition to the customs duty applicable on the import of certain products identified at eight-digit CN level originating in the United States of America. The additional duties levied begin at five percent from 1 March 2004 and increases by one percentage point for each succeeding month culminating in a final rate of seventeen percent in March 2005.

5% from 1 March 2004 to 31 March 2004
    6% from 1 April 2004 to 30 April 2004
    7% from 1 May 2004 to 31 May 2004
    8% from 1 June 2004 to 30 June 2004
    9% from 1 July 2004 to 31 July 2004
    10% from 1 August 2004 to 31 August 2004
    11% from 1 September 2004 to 30 September 2004
    12% from 1 October 2004 to 31 October 2004
    13% from 1 November 2004 to 30 November 2004
    14% from 1 December 2004 to 31 December 2004
    15% from 1 January 2005 to 31 January 2005
    16% from 1 February 2005 to 28 February 2005
    17% from 1 March 2005

Don't know if this does include subs,etc or have I got it wrong?

20. rOAdeh

rOAdeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    if it does apply its bad news for svs - think they'll still def be vfm but not quite the bargain that they currently are..

time to open a factory here tom? ;)

21. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Don't forget that much of the competition is also imported from USA and therefore also subject to any rise in duty and to put things in perspective each 1% rise in import duty will add about £8 to the overall cost of a PC Ultra

22. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    I better order my second PC Ultra before March then :D :devil:

23. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    and keep it as a spare "just in case"...

24. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Nope

Was always my intention to go for two PC Ultras, this should give equal performance to one PB12 Ultra/2. I didn't have the floor space for an SVS box sub, so had to settle for a cylinder.

The original plan was to build a loft conversion and use it as a dedicated room, this has now changed as we are thinking of buying a new place and I'm specifically looking for one which will have a spare room I can convert into a dedicated home cinema. Once that is done, the twin towers of destruction will be up and running YEAH BABY!!! :clap: :devil:

Oh, the place must be detatched too, don't want them pesky neighbours complaining :D

25. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Got a phone call from Bax Global today saying they are going to deliver my sub tomorrow. Very impressed with the quick delivery, that's a total time of only 8 and a half days from ordering to delivery. I was expecting at least a three week wait. Thankfully I ordered the gramma and Mark Grant sub cable quickly and got them earlier this week.

They charged me £119.64 for import duty and VAT so I'd say they haven't applied the increased rates which is good news for all. Hasn't yet appeared on my credit card but hopefully I got a great rate of exchange considering the current state of the dollar.

Only problem now is I've had the tape measure out in preperation and I'm not quite sure how I can actually fit this into my current system :oops: .
    Basically I have two options:

1) Lay it on it's side and use it that way. There was some discussion about this earlier but not convinced this will actually work?

2) The only way it will fit standing up is if I have my speakers right next to the AV stand and place the sub to the left. Sounds straight forward but unfortunately not :confused: . The only way it will go there is if I place it on top of a VCR and then on top of the Gramma so that I can then place it partially on top of boxed in central heating pipes. This sounds like a really bad idea but I would appreciate any thoughts.

Finally does anyone know if the feet can be removed and different spikes fitted as I'd quite like to try some pulsar points under it (although I assume the thread sizes are in inches so may not fit standard 6 or 8mm threads)?

Thanks in advance, Tony

26. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    There aren't any spikes as it comes with it's own baseplate fitted.

27. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Erik SVS intervened in a thread (elsewhere) on the subject of spikes. The expert opinion was that spikes don't benefit the SVSs. It must have been something they'd tried themselves. I can't imagine such an obvious mod going untested by SVS.

If one has a "flimsy" boarded floor then a concrete slab under a sub might help.

Speakers may benefit from spikes as they have such a small footprint and might rock back and forth in response to rapid cone movements.

Newton's law: Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

A downfiring sub would tend to push down evenly on the floor. Or try to hop into the air. The first action would be resisted by the floor and the second by the sheer weight of the enclosure. So there is no rocking involved.

Nimby

28. scott2181

scott2181

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there anyone who can read and understand the full definition of the EU Council Regulation 2193/2003, and how it applies to audio equipment. (I'm not an accountant, or a lawyer.. :) )I thought it's a targeted tax, applied to hurt US industries that depend on export.

All this is academic, of course : Anyone who's bought an SVS recently should be able to tell us what the import duty percentage was.

29. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    I didn't pay any extra import duty on mine ,i havent read the Regulation but it must be for something else.Some items are exempt from import duty maybe its a clamp down on them,anything to make even more money.