SVS how to get a cylinder ?

ARoss

Standard Member
Reaction score
I don't keep up with all the stuff here, but as a casual AV chap who selected a 25-31PC pci or plus I've now got the builders out and would like to buy this sub.

Phew,
svs nope need to use UK distributors
uk distributors have limited models ie one thro' CE approvals
both do not have date for introducing cylinders

... awaiting customer demand before considering cylinder CE approval and introduction..

b*ll*cks, its plain old limbo land :mad:

... completely dis-interested now !!!

Aross

The only way your gonna get a cylinder now that SVS won't sell you one direct (and it's a long time off before av sales will be stocking any cylinders) is to buy a used one.

Alternatively if you have a friend in the US who will buy you one and ship it over here for you,although whether you would get a 220/20 volt version I would not know.

The sad thing is you could have ordered a cylinder direct from SVS untill a couple of weeks ago.

I'd go the used route if you can find the model you want within a reasonable car journey. Not completely impossible on the bus or train either if you're stuck for transport and the vendor won't deliver for the petrol price. Best get a look and a demo before buying.

Nimby

As SVS were known for their cylinder subs long before they decided to bring out their box subs, it beats me why they did not decide to a least add the plus range of cylinders to the range available in the uk.

It seems to me that in the decision to exclude any cylinders from the initial range, they have taken a choice away from their customers to obtain the subs that their customers may prefer.

Sureley to obtain CE approval for a cylinder is no more difficult than for a box.

kbfern said:
Sureley to obtain CE approval for a cylinder is no more difficult than for a box.

But no less costly,and it's easy to understand why they may have chosen not to certificate all of the models at once.

I can't help feeling that WAF and smaller British/European homes have affected which models are being offered first.

Perhaps there are hidden problems with the cylinders that do not exist with the boxes? Potential problems in the event of fire in the home? Perhaps somebody in the authorisation process doesn't like some aspect of them? But it's all speculation.

It just seems odd to find a manufacturer with such a large model range suddenly limiting its European customers to a basic few.

It is also ironic considering how relaxed Europeans are about suing manufacturers in comparison with America. Where they'll try and sue somebody if the sun doesn't shine. Yet certification is mandatory here.

Perhaps it's just another form of imported goods "prohibition" like VAT? What does Europe do to warrrant a 17.5-25% cut of the total import purchase price? Not a lot. Globalisation? Nuts! :rolleyes:

Nimby

kbfern said:
It seems to me that in the decision to exclude any cylinders from the initial range, they have taken a choice away from their customers to obtain the subs that their customers may prefer.

Keith - you seem to be conducting a one man whingeathon :confused:

I suppose that SVS could have got all sixteen active subwoofer models in the range CE Certified which would have cost the company X thousand pounds extra. In order to recover the costs of certifying the less popular models it is quite conceivable that they would have had to increase the prices of the more popular models even more and you would have been complaining about that instead.

CE approval is not a onetime cost. First the paperwork and material changes, and then regular checkups in the factory. SVS has to pay for the regular inspections.

Not complaining as such - but I am in a teensy bit of a 'social bind'.

When I got mine (25-31 PC+, thank GOD! I must've been one of the last few) the whole 'SVS phenomenon' was that you end up buying on faith - reaping the rewards (still have yet to do my post on the experience - looking for original things to add hopefully) - getting your friends, etc to see - and then they go, "I have to have one!!" Oh - and one will go on about it 'before' one's even got it - let the hype build - and then let them see how it lives up to the hype!

Well now there are probably three people who on account of me have had the momentum of subwoofer-desire built up in them, and are very much considering getting a cylinder sub - and all that can be said now is... :( ...What a fall!

But 'Hey Ho', I guess.

Not a whingathon Ian, however do you know that the cylinders are the less popular models?. I did not sudgest svs should ce approve all models but just one of the models in the cylinder range to give their customers some choice.

In discussion with Ron, a couple of weeks ago, with regard to which cylinder to buy, it was suggested, after my concerns that the initially suggested 25-31 PC+ might not give me the experience I yearned for, that I get the 25-31 PC+ now, and another at a later stage, if I felt the need for more, or just dig deep and get the Ultra instead, which would most surely satisfy, glad I did the latter :). Saying all that, I don't think Ron would have suggested there being an opportunity to match my 25-31 PC+ with another, if they didn't intend in making them available to the UK at some point in time, I think patience is needed here.

MyBoxLife said:
Saying all that, I don't think Ron would have suggested there being an opportunity to match my 25-31 PC+ with another, if they didn't intend in making them available to the UK at some point in time, I think patience is needed here.

Very sensible advice,and similar to that already being offered by some other SVS owners here(IanJ,and myself),and also from MarekFin.

I'm sure that most if not all of us are very pleased to find a UK base for these subs now,and I'd be very surprised if they don't do well,even with a small price hike(which is,as others have noted,well below the usual dollar to pound direct translation that a lot of US manufacturers indulge in....more power to SVS for not following suit).

I think I'd have tried to offer the PC Ultra with CE markings. It may be the most expensive but it is middle sized and if you couldn't afford it and really wanted a PCi or Plus then that was your problem not SVS's and you could sit and wait for one of the others. But perhaps one cylinder approval is good for the whole range? Who knows?

I don't think SVS can complain about the cost of CE approval. Any other manufacturer had to obtain it to sell their products in Europe. They were lucky to get away with it for as long as they did. That's not a dig at SVS BTW. Merely an observation. :)

Nimby

Nimby said:
I think I'd have tried to offer the PC Ultra with CE markings. It may be the most expensive but it is middle sized and if you couldn't afford it and really wanted a PCi or Plus then that was your problem not SVS's and you could sit and wait for one of the others. But perhaps one cylinder approval is good for the whole range? Who knows?

I don't think SVS can complain about the cost of CE approval. Any other manufacturer had to obtain it to sell their products in Europe. They were lucky to get away with it for as long as they did. That's not a dig at SVS BTW. Merely an observation. :)

Nimby

I'm not sure it's SVS complaining about the cost of CE approval,and they could no doubt have continued to sell via mail/internet order had they wished to.

Each model as I understand it would have to be approved separately,but the point about certifying the PC-Ultra is a good one....I personally count myself fortunate to have ordered before all this and saved a bit of cash.

Nimby said:
I don't think SVS can complain about the cost of CE approval. Any other manufacturer had to obtain it to sell their products in Europe.

Anyone looking at Velodyne's website will notice that they also have a large number of different ranges and individual subs that aren't for sale over here so I guess this situation isn't unique to SVS.

What about the non powered range such as my CS-Ultra. Would CE approval still be required? If not, that might be an easy route for SVS and AV-Sales to get a cylinder over into the UK, leaving the consumer to simply source an existing UK market amp? Just an observation.....

On the face of it this is a clever suggestion. Except one never knows if a BK module (for example) has the "fiddly bits" that the Bash amps might have. Subsonic filtration and any response shaping (etc) for specific models? Some of the Bash amps seem to claim more power than the BK modules.

One would also have to ask SVS if they will supply CS models to the UK of course. Who knows? :suicide:

galewis1 said:
What about the non powered range such as my CS-Ultra. Would CE approval still be required? If not, that might be an easy route for SVS and AV-Sales to get a cylinder over into the UK, leaving the consumer to simply source an existing UK market amp? Just an observation.....

It is not only the amp that needs CE approval. You also need to have the ports CE approved...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom