1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SVS finally lands in the UK...

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Smurfin, Sep 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,742
    No surprises at the distributor, personally I couldn't think of a better company to do it, having bought my plasma from AV-Sales I found them to be extremely professional and helpful:)

But the big question is, what do people think to the prices? Still think they're competitive? My gut reaction was "omg they've gone up in price alot"...but a price increase is inevitable, and on reflection they're not quite as expensive as they could have been. UK support is a big plus imho, but I'm always one for cheaper prices;)

Personally I think they are still competitive, you get alot of performance for the money, although it makes the BK Monolith look even better value than it was before, and I bet Servo-15s will now continue to hold their value well:)

Wonder how much the ultras will be....

2. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,147
    Prices for the PB10 look about the same as importing from the US yourself.But the PB12+ looks about £120 more and the /2 looks about £290 more and don't forget these are special intro prices.This is based on £1 = $1.76 and asuming $225 for shipping then adding 23% duty & vat.

Looks like the usual rip off Britain prices again to me.What are the prices going to be after the special prices are discontinued.

I asume that you can still do a personal import on the models AV sales are not stocking? if so you would be better going for one of those instead

3. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,147
    By the way the PB10 price looks like its been pegged to match with the Monolith price.If there was no monolith I think the PB10 would have been more money.Strange how the PB10 is the only one that has not gone up init.

4. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,742
    Compare the prices to the competition, still look good to me. And the distributor needs to make some money out of it! If you're looking at the powerbuy prices your sums don't look right to me either....the Plus/2 in black isn't £290 more expensive than buying direct, it's alot less.

I would obviously prefer to buy direct from the US as I've done it twice before and not had any problems, but there's alot of people out there that would prefer the peace of mind of buying from the UK and having the support etc there...as well as being able to get the goods in a couple of days. imho anyway:)

5. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,147
    Smurfin

Regarding the /2 I had worked the price out incorrectly and the difference is around £165,sorry for misleading anyone.

However the prices have still gone up quite a bit,and allowing for discounts they should be getting from SVS and the saving by shipping over in bulk I still think these prices are a rip off.The axiom may be getting some more business from the UK based on these prices.

6. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Are we still able to purchase other models direct from the States?

7. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,147
    Having just taken a look at av sales website, the prices are even higher so add £50 to the PB10,£90 to the PB12+ and £125 to the /2.

So that confirms to me it's definatley rip off britain.SVS may be excellent subs and good value for money but they are now not so much good value for money.There are other subs becoming available from the US/Canada that may be as good or even better.Anyone looking for a new sub may care to investigate those first.

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I have just checked the powerbuy prices against the old prices that we would have expected to pay for importing directly from USA and the PB-10 has gone up by about 2.5% whilst the others have gone up in price between 8% and 10%

I would love to know which other American CE certified subwoofer can be purchased from a UK distributor for between 2.5% and 10% more than the Americans are paying to buy direct from the manufacturer.

9. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think to be fair the prices are pretty damn good i thought they would of been a little bit higher than that and don't forget as smurfin has said these come with full UK support which is a big plus, this is a very positive move from SVS and will definitly increase the size of it's customer base.. :thumbsup:

I would also be much happier purchaseing a sub from the UK and knowing someone this end can take responsibility for any type of issue concerning warranty..

10. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,147
    Ian

When av sales intro prices finish they will be another 12% higher or 12% higher now if not bought by avforum powerbuy.

11. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,147
    By the way if svs will still sell you a PB12 Ultra direct you could get one for less than £1000 all in.No CE certification though (as if that has bothered the hundreds of people who already imported an svs sub)

So which would you prefer CE approved PB12pus £889 or Ultra no CE approval around £970.

The US one could be with you next week,whereas we don't know how long its going to be before the UK ones will be here

12. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    All the more reason that people should get their orders in now then :D

I still think that these subs represent cracking value for money and I fully intend to put my money where my mouth is and order one before the powerbuy runs out although I have a sneaking suspicion that the powerbuy will run for quite a while as long as their aren't too many currency fluctuations.

13. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,742
    You finally going for an Ultra Ian? (when AV-Sales launch them). Bout time you got some quality bass :D

[edit: before anyone starts flaming me thinking that last comment was serious, I own a PB12-Plus/2 :devil: ]

14. MyBoxLife

MyBoxLife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    So does this mean all warranty issues can now be dealt with the UK supplier, obviously for those who've imported our SVS, also, will SVS still be offering models, unavailable from the UK supplier, as available to import directly?

15. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's about time all you SVS boys starting paying a little bit more for you're subs.. :D he..he..he

16. 30CenturyMan

30CenturyMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Pricing is FANTASTIC! :thumbsup:

17. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,147
    Scott other than the PB10, how is paying a minimum 8% and up to 20% more if buying off forum fantastic (or are you havin a larf)

18. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,790
    Perhaps his idea of value re "piece of mind" for UK sourcing is different to yours. ;)

19. 30CenturyMan

30CenturyMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Perhaps you work for nothing? :confused:

20. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,147
    No I dont work for nothing but at these prices allowing for discount from svs and cheaper shipping av sales must be making at least 35-40% based on their own website prices.

What you must all remember is that up till now anyone that purchased an svs sub had a great bargain that bargain is now reduced.I am surprised that some of you seem quite happy to pay more without complaining.When your gas,electricity,petrol mortgage all increase do you not complain?.

As far as piece of mind regarding uk sourcing is concerned how many of the hundreds of subs imported direct have had to be returned to the US for repair/replacement (I don't know of one)

21. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    Mine did! :hiya:

22. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,147
    Steve are you saying the sub had to go back or just the part that was faulty?

23. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    The entire sub went back Keith, they actually sent a replacement and picked up the faulty one at the same time :)

24. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh yes i remember that 1 well :devil:

On a serious note though SVS are like any other buisness and it makes "good buisness sense" to get dealers in different countries to supply customers and therefore they can concentrate on building & designing Subwoofers !

25. MADMAND

MADMAND
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    What is the warranty on svs subs?

26. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,790
    Great bargains are not usually sustainable. As you point out the bargain is reduced, it hasn't got rid of it.

As for complaining on the other issues, if I thought for 1 minute that by complaining to my bank about high mortgage rates I would get a reduction I'd do it. But as it's a free market, and you have a choice, you can take your business where YOU think you get better value. If you don't like it, don't complain, get even. Withdraw your patronage.

I haven't been burgled at all in 30 years, but that does not stop me buying insurance for piece of mind.

My $0.02 FWIW.

27. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Times change and we have to move with them. It is no longer relevant what prices those of us that were lucky enough to buy direct from USA paid but what is relevant is the price that buyers will be paying in the future and whether or not the products will value for money.

One should bear in mind that AV-Sales haven't taken on the distributorship just to ship subs out to forum members but they are hoping to bring the brand to the attention of a far wider audience and that will necessitate the submission of review subs to the hifi and AV press and advertising too, and all that costs money.

A PB12Plus/2 will now cost £1,070 in the powerbuys and that is blindingly good value for money when you look around at what else is available at that price irrespective of what it cost last week.

28. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,147
    Malice,did you not buy your sub second hand,if you thought it such a good buy why did you not buy new.

And when I said complain,I am not refering to complaining to the people who supply you with the service,just a general complaint, like to your mates(just like here on the forum)

29. MyBoxLife

MyBoxLife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I wouldn't be too happy with the new 'to be had prices' if I was still waiting to buy my SVS, and as far as where I'd be buying it from, probably wouldn't change, it'd still probably be buying it at home, like I do most of my stuff, and with SVS being as quick as they were to deliver, I'd probably only gain a couple of days there, even if something were to go wrong, if the UK supplier isn't local, it's still getting collected for despatch back to the supplier. With all that said, I think it's safe to say, most of us knew this would probably happen.

30. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,147
    Steve

Fair enough,but thats only one.All I am trying to say is as far a piece of mind is concerned it didn't seem to worry anyone that purchased direct as we knew the problem would get sorted.

In buying from the Uk you will still have the problem of getting the unit back to av sales if you have a problem unless you live on there doorstep.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.